Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Importance of Proper Tests for Reliable In-Cam Playback: Lessons from the Field
  • 41 Replies sorted by
  • Could be that there is a correlation between 60 and 50 which I will look into. 50 was done last, maybe if you something for 50 it affects 60 even though no direct changes were made to relevant 60 settings... I am looking into this asap.

• @qwerty123 sorry, I sound like a broken record on these forums but just use Aquamotion 2 -- it will span on the card you have (any class 10) quality is great, and no problem with in camera playback (you may get a "motion image can't be played once and a while but after powering camera on and off it always goes away).

I've shot dozens of hours of interviews with this, and recently went on a 2500 k road trip through mexico where I wanted in camera playback so I could edit down clips if I started running out of space (shot 200+ gigs). Again, it worked perfectly.

So, to say again, if spanning and in camera playback is important to you, look no further than Aquamotion 2.

• Ha, or the new quantum 100 just released. Should check low gop before opening my big mouth

• @driftwood Ok cool! I'll give it a try (and compare quality etc)! Thanks for your all your work!

• @driftwood - your work is so legendary, I almost feel bad you are spending so much time tweaking for slower cards. I know that both samsung and micron are working on SD chips rated at speeds similar or faster than the current Sandisk 95mb/s. Throughout 2012 the market will be flooded with them (no thailand pun intended) and prices will drop. Something to consider. Peace!

• I have noticed reputable cards like Type 10 Transcend 32Gb fail well before some of the cheaper sandisk cards like the 16Gb extreme HD video card (which is a 20mbps card and is very good) on etc mode. I'm going to say once again its impossible to push the limits of the gh2 with the plethora of different supposedly good quality type 10 cards. I would say extreme cards are now the minimum like the HD Video 20mbps from Sandisk (if you can find them) or extreme pro cards. Its defo worth investing in at least one 64Gb 95mbps card if you can afford it.

• I agree please keep up your excellent work with offering the best possible using the best SD card which so far is the SanDisk 64GB SDXC. For those who want to use slow cards, there's always your upcoming mini version.

• Great work all around, Nick. I tested Quantum v.9b just around the office on complex textures and a few quick trips around the building and I've got in camera playback. Plus great looking DNxHD imports into MC6. The only issue is that my HP laptop's card reader seems to have issues keeping up. Going to have to get that checked. Will check for spanning in the next couple of days on the SanDisk Extreme Pro 64GB-95MB/s card.

Also going to shoot a simple lit scene with Quantum v.9b to further investigate all this noise some people keep mentioning. I haven't seen anything that didn't look similar (not exactly like mind you...) film grain. But everyone's aesthetic sensibilities are different.

• @Driftwood, the SanDisk Extreme HD Video cards come in two varieties: Class 6 20 MB/sec cards, and Class 10 UHS 30 Mb/sec cards. The 20 MB/sec cards were replaced with 30 MB/sec cards quite a while ago. They share the same part numbers. Most of us are using the 30 MB/sec cards, which are widely available, priced well, and perform very well. I don't know how the 20 MB/sec cards perform. I just wanted to make you aware of the difference between these cards, since you are designing patch settings that many of us use. I guess it's a moot point, since whatever you're doing is already working for us.

• I have been testing the *** NEW *** 'Quantum100' **** (The AVC INTRA-100/50 rip patch). Can anyone confirm what the on camera audio capabilities are please. Is this improved over the factory firmware? Thanks.

• Nick, let me know if this is or isn't the right thread for this: Tested Quantum v.9b for in camera playback and all is still good. Did my first couple of spanning tests (high motion, complex patterns) and got two failures out of two attempts. No ability to record until shutting down the camera and no in camera playback. However, all files were able to import and play back in my editing software.

Will continue testing. Because visually I love everything about this version.

• @LPowell

Can't wait to hear about your results. I used your patches for my GH1 and the amount of information and testing involved in you patches were all spot on. I have no doubt you'll release patches that have been vigorously tested and everything, both good and bad about the patches written down in one post for all of us to analyze before we use. I got a feeling your patches will be the only ones I will probably use for my GH2 much like I did for the GH1. With the exception of Vitaliy and Chris you are the most valuable person in this community. Thank you for your efforts.

• @Brian202020 Thanks for the props and the patience, it has taken a lot more time to track down the side-effects of PTool's numerous GH2 patches. The GH1 was comparatively simple, with only a fraction of the complexity and video modes as the GH2. As you point out, none of this would have been possible without the tools and technical support provided by Vitaliy and Chris, and I must say the inspirational work that Driftwood has contributed as well.

• After reviewing my footage from SpanMyBitchUp... the beginning frame or two of several clips is just a gray screen, and on a couple of clips, towards the end, that grey screen pops in and out again... weird! Thankfully, it didn't occur during any crucial moments.

• I use spanmybitchup and the problem i have with it is that after spanning it wont playback. It will say " NO valid image to display". Other than that it works fine for me.

• As @driftwood as said a few times, I think you have to record a small, couple second clip after your original to ensure playback? I think.