Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official Low GOP topic, series 4
  • 586 Replies sorted by
  • ... what just happened...?

• In light of the recent comments specially the one made by @driftwood, I wanted to point out a few things. 1. If the last few months have proven anything is the fact that technology is becoming complex and as new versions of the hardware and software gets introduced, it gets even more complex. 2. To achieve great results in short period of time, we all need to work as a team. Dozens of people have been contributing in these forums to make GH2 a better product. This team has its generals and subject matter experts like Vitalie, driftwood, lpowell, cbrandon and others. Then there are general users like me who try to contribute in testing and donations. It has been proven that multiple minds put together can produce better results than a single one. @driftwood Nick, there is no question that you have made tremendous breakthroughs with your intra GOP1 24p patches. Currently, it is the defacto standard for high quality 24p recording and I am a user of it. However, the results with 1080i and 720p along with cheaper SD cards and spanning have been less than desirable. There is a lot more work to be done to improve those areas. Lpowell, Sage, Balazer and others have been trying to help out and pick up the slack by doing research to complement your efforts in improving those areas. I think you should welcome their help and encourage them to ontinue their efforts. You have other things to do and you can't dedicate your life to GH2. You may be surprised that the research and theories that are provided by the others may trigger something in your mind that could make a big difference in your patches. 3. Finally, others may introduce their own patches based on their research and testing and post multiple pages to describe them. But at the end of the day "The proof is in the pudding". All of the introduced patches get to be tested by people in this forum who happen to know what they are doing and they are no dummies. So if a patch produces good results, it gets the praise it deserves, otherwise it receives the honest constructive criticism that it deserves. Let's share the spotlight and encourage and help each to achieve better results. After all, actions speak better than words. @driftwood, I hope you will avoid using negative comments and calling names in the future and work as part of the team. I would hate to see the good image you have created to be tarnished with these unnecessary negative comments. Cheers, mate.

• @driftwood

Nick, what's going on?

There a few self-entitled bastards at these forums who seem to think you and vk have to work to give them exactly what they want, as if they paid for it or something.

But most are just excited and wanting the next thing. Your patches have given you a degree of fame and that has a weight- I know.

Mostly there's just mad love for you.

And now... concern. Since we don't know what has just gone down.

• GOP1 forever. Memory card prices are falling. I think Nick understands. Everyone else...not so sure if they see the future.

RJH your Bladerunner tribute was fun. Cheers!

• Nick, you have changed everything with your patches. Those of us who have the cards, disk space, and desire for the best looking image sing your praises daily... problem is, we're out shooting, not sitting on this board peeping. Thank you for all you've done, keep it up if you can. I for one can't thank you enough, truly, for the breakthroughs you've made.

• +1, a big "Thank You, Nick!"

Why do you think I posted the Quantum patched GH2 next to the Scarlet? If you want to get more quality out of the GH2, go that route!

If you want to skimp on cards, go the Panny route. The consortium crippled AVCHD to such low bitrates not (only?) because they want to protect their more expensive products. They also did it so it works with any shitty card out there and the average buyer won't cry for mummy.

• I'm not complaining, the more the merrier. Other camera brands don't even have a single patch:) Over here, we have a patch for everyone. Isn't it great?

• +10, a big "Thank You, Nick!"

• WTF just happened? I think it is OK that multiple routes are being tried out right now. The Quantum patches are simply the best if you go for 24H highest quality. No discussion. That direction SHOULD NOT be stopped.

IMO, the paths we should pursue are: HIGHEST QUALITY = HIGH BITRATE HIGHEST QUALITY +/- = EFFICIENT BITRATE ALL-ROUND STABILITY (improve upon the PANA firmware without sacrifices)

@driftwood what's up mate?

• @artiswar Video looks great. Is that like Quantum 100? Where can I try download this settings? Thanks, Alex

• +∞

This should not be a battle for the one and only approach. I need GOP1 and GOP3!

If I am shooting footage that are expected to hold up well in some kind of vfx production pipe, my GH2 is charged with Driftwoods latest and grates i frame only patch. If you have to do what so ever 3D-tracking, slow motion, time reversing, heavy grading, P and B should better go to hell. I want to flood my fast Sandisk only with I frames! I did not had the budget for a RED so GH2 + VK + driftwood gets me close.

If I have to keep the camera rolling in order to not miss the decisive moment or in order to get every bit of an important event, I go for a great GOP3 patch. Quality is very very good, it records to my Lexar 128 GB SD card, and spans without problems. Beautiful!

• @Alex thx for the tip about the i frame only patch. i am searching for a patch for some slow-motion adventure.

• @mozes i frames are not good for slow-motion in particular (your are not done by just using an i frame patch). Google infos about how to best shoot for a twixtor slow-motion workflow (fast shutter, no motion blur, sharp contrasty edges are important). I frames are good because they give you sharp details for the motion vectors ...

• thx, i did a quik test in 1080 50i, converted to 50p and slowed down to 2% in twixtor,
    and it looks oke, considering i did not set all to optimal,
    iso3200, shutter 1/320, and F4

i just installed "AQ2 for Slow Motion Work in EX TELE mode"
    For what i understand its just what i need today
    Its a sunny day, and the cross track is open, i go shoot some shots there in 720 and 1080i, with the tele mode working i can keep a save distance from the motor bikes ;-)

Image4.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
  • @driftwood what happen to you man, you just turned into a classless jerk.

• Uhm.. looks like some late night posting has been going on? Hope you guys don´t start to fight. It would be a pitty. @driftwood Your patches made me buy the cam, one private, one for work. I believe nobody doubts that if you want the best possible quality, driftwood GOP1 is the way to go.

• "I believe nobody doubts that if you want the best possible quality, driftwood GOP1 is the way to go."

+

• @driftwood "Listen up motherfuckers ..." Respect for you .

• @driftwood I would like to combine the universal playability of 24l in quantum 3 with the max quality of 24h in quantum 9. Is it possible and just a matter of changing some settings? Is it enough to just edit Q9 and replace the 24l settings with those of Q3? Thanks for everything.

• @Alexauwa - That was on 9b.

@driftwood fo' life. Fuck the haters.

• Reppin @driftwood since day one...

• "I believe nobody doubts that if you want the best possible quality, driftwood GOP1 is the way to go."

+1 Thanks Nick

• Keep it real

• @driftwood - Not sure what's going on man but hope you carry on. Ultimate respect to you for your patches, using Quantum now and quality is unbelievable. I'm sure X will be the patch to end all patches.

• @VidXX I think someone who joins just so that they can call someone else names is the definition of classlessness.

Move along...

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions