Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH2 post-production workflows
  • 109 Replies sorted by
  • @inqb8tr _ so how do I go about converting that?

When I'm done editing, I need to make the footage ready for Resolve. Export settings in PP CS5.5 only gives me one Resolve friendly option, QuickTime

I've tried AAF, both regular and legacy, and Resolve gives me "The selected CompositeMob index is out of bound" error.

XML doesn't show up.

So that's why I export edited footage to Resolve for grading, and then export back to put it in Premiere with audio, and export the final result.

I know this workflow is flawed. So I'm looking for better options, if possible without changing away from Premiere :)

• You're on windows? I don't know for me it just works, sorry for repeating mac's idiotic Ad copy.

So problem is that you can't ingest audio in resolve in mov container along with video stream ?

That should not be very big issue as long as you make it "lossless" in and out of Resolve. You won't lose generation and you'll keep the quality intact when you join audio back in premiere. Just change the step where you compress export from Resolve in mpeg4 an use ant decent intermediate codec instead. When you import it in Premiere again, I sugest exporting one master file in Prores or dnx or whatever with final graded video and joined audio and keep that as a master. Later make any h264 or whatever out of it.

• @inqb8tr sorry for misunderstanding, could be my pigeon english :)

I don't want to import audio into Resolve, I never do it, it's just a habit. Should I?

Anyway...I edit the raw MOV-from-MTS files in Premiere until the project is over, so the audio is all done, edits, everything.

Then I export only video into Resolve, for grading, and after I'm done, export the graded footage into Premiere and then export the whole thing with audio to 264.

The thing is, I'm kinda worried about Premiere - Resolve - Premiere route. I don't want to lose any quality and so far the original GH2 mts gets treated 4 times

-from raw GH2 MTS to ProRes MOV

• in Premiere, from ProRes MOV to "Animation codec MOV" for Resolve

• in Resolve, from Animation codec mov to MPEG4 MOV

• and back in Premiere to H264

So I'm thinking, there's got to be a way to minimize the loss in the Premiere - Resolve - Premiere part of the workflow :)

I'm in W7, Premiere CS 5.5, Resolve 10...can't figure any other codec to use for the Resolve but MOV

These are the options I get from Resolve...don't know the difference between any of them :)

options.jpg
    344 x 274 - 44K
  • Sorry I somehow red AAC. Nothing to do with audio, but the rest of the post still stands.

• We are in 2014 , Premiere go cloud -;) Hot topic in PV is 4k with gh4. Do we have wiki work flow for gh2 yet?

• @Riker Use ProRes for all steps and all will be good.

• @tinbeo The problem with workflows is that they are dependent upon the desired result and the equipment available. I work in the Post Production industry and develop tailored workflows for each project. You are better off learning about the processes and developing your own to suit your requirements. For GH4 4k Apple FCPX is the easiest at present.

• I love my GH2 footage (AVCHD) and don't want to mess with it. Does that mean I need to scrap my Macbook Pro and buy a high-powered, windows-based system that will run Edius?

• @wrr53

Just curious ... do you love the wrapper/codec, or the images? They aren't necessarily the same thing these days. A lot of pro editors working projects with AVCHD & other codecs either say use something like PrPro that can use multiple codecs in "native" form on a timeline or transcode for editing to even Lagarith or a high-quality form of ProRes or DNxHD.

Then your NLE of choice is clearly independent of any particular camera's wrapper/codec combos. Love Edius? Love FCP-X? Love PrPro? Pick one & "go" ... and if the one you want doesn't work too well with AVCHD (which would surprise me, it's so widely used) then transcode if you must.

Not a big fan of AVCHD myself, the folder/file structure using it is to me a pain. But that's only a personal issue of mine.

Neil