Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
DJI Mavic Air drone

Specs

sa1478.jpg
    528 x 500 - 25K
  • 24 Replies sorted by
  • DJI Mavic Air Quadcopter with Remote Controller - Arctic White, $765

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NK5N695/

• Thank you also DJI for not putting a 1" sensor in it! ;-) Saving many of us even more money.

• Thank you DJI for NOT putting the 4K/60fps recording option to Mavic air. I thought I was gonna have to buy my first drone, but now I can save my money!

• PR

The Most Portable 3-Axis Gimbal 4K Camera Drone Features SmartCapture, FlightAutonomy 2.0 and Advanced Pilot Assistance Systems

DJI, the world's leader in civilian drones and aerial imaging technology, has introduced the Mavic Air, an ultra-portable, foldable camera drone that delivers higher performance, more intelligent features and greater creative possibilities than any other consumer drone. Developed with the traveler and outdoor enthusiast in mind, Mavic Air inherits the best features of DJI's iconic Mavic series with a 4K camera for superior image quality, new QuickShot modes and SmartCapture for easier, more intelligent photo and video capturing, and FlightAutonomy 2.0 with Advanced Pilot Assistance Systems for smarter, safer flight. A marvel of engineering and design, Mavic Air enables limitless exploration wherever adventure takes you.

"When DJI introduced the Mavic Pro, it reinvented what a consumer drone could be: powerful, yet portable, accessible, but advanced," said Roger Luo, President at DJI. "Today, with the introduction of Mavic Air, we have pushed these attributes to the next level to create our best consumer drone yet."

Designed for Portability and Power

Weighing just 430 grams, Mavic Air is the most portable DJI drone ever created. Its folding arms and propellers sit flush against its slender aerodynamic frame, making it so compact that its footprint is nearly the size of a modern smartphone when folded.

Every aspect of Mavic Air's camera has been designed for maximum performance. Its recessed three-axis mechanical gimbal is suspended from dampeners to further reduce vibration providing superior protection and steadier shots. A powerful camera housing a 1/2.3" CMOS sensor and the equivalent of a 24mm F2.8 lens (on a 35mm full frame sensor) captures high-quality photos and videos.

Mavic Air photographs crisp 12-megapixel still images utilising new HDR algorithms that preserve more highlight and low light details, allowing you to capture stunning aerial pictures from sunrise to sunset. It also shoots smooth stabilised 4K video at 30 fps, capturing the highest quality video of any DJI consumer drone with a maximum bitrate of 100 Mbps. Preserving the action in dramatic fast-paced scenes is now possible through its ability to shoot 1080p slow-motion video at 120 fps.

Mavic Air is DJI's first drone with 8 GB of onboard storage letting you save photos and videos directly to the aircraft on the go, plus a micro SD card slot for additional storage capacity. The newly-added USB-C port makes exporting captured footage easy and fast.

Expand Your Creativity

Mavic Air's intelligent camera system creates new possibilities for anyone regardless of their photography and drone piloting experience. Photo enthusiasts who want to capture their surroundings in complete detail can use the new Sphere panorama feature to automatically shoot and stitch together 25 photos, creating a crystal-clear 32-megapixel panoramic image within one minute. Mavic Air also supports multiple panorama modes, creating horizontal, vertical, and 180 degree images.

QuickShot intelligent video modes make creating professional videos fun and easy with predefined flight paths that automatically keep your subject in the frame. Use Rocket, Dronie, Circle, or Helix plus two new modes Asteroid and Boomerang, to effortlessly create videos that once required significant piloting skills and sophisticated editing software. Asteroid starts with a spherical image that zooms in as it descends toward the subject on the ground, while Boomerang circles the subject in an oval-shaped flight path with the video finishing at the start point.

Mavic Air's ActiveTrack intelligent flight mode has been improved to automatically sense multiple subjects, following your subject and keeping it in the frame with more precision, especially during high motion activities like running and cycling.

Powered by machine learning technology, SmartCapture is an ultra-responsive control mode that makes shooting photos and videos effortless. With a maximum range of up to six meters (20 feet), you can give hand gesture commands to launch, follow, photograph, record, push, pull and land, letting you capture the moment from any angle without the need for a remote controller.

Smarter, Safer Flight

More powerful computing capabilities and optimised algorithms help Mavic Air fly smarter and safer through obstacles and terrain. FlightAutonomy 2.0 processes data gathered from seven onboard cameras and infrared sensors to construct a 3D map of its environment for more precise hovering and better flight performance. The improved forward and backward dual camera vision systems can sense obstacles up to 20 meters (66 feet) away. To help navigate through more complex outdoor environments, Mavic Air has newly developed Advanced Pilot Assistance Systems that helps pilots avoid and bypass obstacles automatically, providing an extra layer of reassurance during flight.

Mavic Air has a maximum flight time of up to 21 minutes. It can fly stably in windy conditions of up to 22 mph (36 kph) and at high elevations of up to 5,000 meters (16,404 feet) above sea level. Mavic Air's remote is the first to feature detachable control sticks that can be stored inside the remote controller for added portability. Its omnidirectional antennas placed on the foldable landing gear help increase signal coverage to deliver a maximum range of up to 2.5 miles (4km) with 1080p real-time video transmission when flying with the remote controller. When in Sport mode, Mavic Air flies at exhilarating speeds of up to 42 mph (68 kph) and is compatible with DJI Goggles for an immersive FPV flight experience.

Price and Availability

Mavic Air will be available in three colors: Onyx Black, Arctic White and Flame Red. The retail price including the drone, battery, remote controller, carrying case, two pairs of propeller guards and four pairs of propellers, is 769 GBP (849 EUR). The Mavic Air Fly More Combo includes the drone, three batteries, a remote controller, a travel bag, two pairs of propeller guards, six pairs of propellers, a battery to power bank adapter and battery charging hub, for 949 GBP (1,049 EUR).

Starting today, Mavic Air will be available for pre-order at store.dji.com, the four DJI Flagship Stores and authorized dealers. Pre-orders will start shipping on January 28. For more information on all the new features and capabilities of Mavic Air, please visit www.dji.com/mavic-air .

DJI Care Refresh

DJI Care Refresh is available in select countries and provides peace of mind for Mavic Air owners. DJI Care Refresh covers accidental damage to the aircraft, gimbal or camera during normal use for up to 12 months, and for an additional charge, the plan will offer up to two full replacements that are new or equivalent to new. DJI Care Refresh is available for 89 GBP (99 EUR) before the new Mavic Air is activated, or within the first 48 hours after activation. For more info or service availability in your country, please visit https://www.dji.com/service/djicare-refresh

• Announced and the store page is live:

• 4k @ 30fps video (bitrate increase to 100mbps from 60)
    • 12 megapixel stills, 32 megapixel panoramas
    • 1 / 2/3" sensor
    • 8 gb internal storage as well as microsd
    • usb-c
    • new quickshot modes: boomerang and asteroid

$799 drone-only $999 fly-more combo with extra batteries/multi-charger

Otherwise, the leaks were pretty much right.

https://store.dji.com/product/mavic-air?from=store_index_banner&vid=38961

• 32 mp is hoax imho and does not make any sense. It's the panorama mode, the has 32 mp. I guess it has a 8 mp sensor for 4k 60p full readout without oversampling and stiches 4 x 8mp to a 32 mp panorama. 12 mp sensor is also possible. For low light 8 Mp is great. Drones are made for video , stills are't that important.

• Yep, another folding drone.

• 32mp 1/2.3" CMOS sensor
    • New LSI
    • 4K @ 60fps video
    • 3-axis gimbal
    • Four foldable legs
    • Obstacle-avoidance sensors in the front, bottom, and back
    • Visual Positioning System for better control, hovering and indoor flying
    • Gesture control
    • 21-minute flight time
    • Compatible with DJI Goggles
    • White, black and red colors
    sa1472.jpg
    577 x 500 - 32K
  • Huh. I thought that the P4P did 10-bit, but the specs on DJI's site don't mention it and I'm not finding any mentions of it so I'm probably some combination of crazy and/or wrong.

No Phantom that DJI has ever made can do 10bit at any resolution or any frame rate.

• The latest rumors say that it will be similar in size to the Spark, but with foldable arms, a 32 megapixel/4k camera, and a 3-axis gimbal.

Fingers crossed - that would be great! If they add in USB charging like the Spark, it will be my new hiking drone.

https://dronedj.com/2018/01/22/spoiler-alert-dji-mavic-air-revealed-a-day-early-with-4k-21-minute-flight-time-panorama-and-more/

• Huh. I thought that the P4P did 10-bit, but the specs on DJI's site don't mention it and I'm not finding any mentions of it so I'm probably some combination of crazy and/or wrong.

In that case, I'll change that to to be "4kp60" and "higher bitrate h.265" to match the P4P. :)

• "-a Mavic with 10-bit recording and a higher bit rate"

Hahaha! None of their copters currently offer this at any price (in h.264 anyway). Guess one can always dream. Question is, would you be willing to drop $3k+ if such a Mavic were to be revealed?

I'm wondering what the underwater reference has to do with the new release?

• I'd guess that Mavic Air will be very similar to the current Mavic, but a little smaller.

I hope they also announce Mavic 2 with specs closer to the Phantom 4 Pro - a Mavic with 10-bit recording and a higher bit rate would be incredible.