Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Panasonic GH5S GH5 S, 4K Video Edition
  • 533 Replies sorted by
  • The GH5 and G9 can do 4k60p so the GH5s can do two 4k30p for HDR merging in camera. (or two 4k24p and 4k25p)

• Could this new camera be an actuall replacement for the GH5? Like a GH6?

• I think there are three options for a GH5s:

a-10mp or 12mp sensor without dual native iso

b-10mp or 12mp sensor with dual native iso

c-20mp sensor with dual native iso

• @EspenB Panasonic would be crazy to announce something like a GH6 after so recently releasing a firmware update for the GH5 which bumped its video feature set beyond most similarly-priced competition and gave it at least another year of relevance - far more likely a GH5 variant.

• Fear of scientific knowledge is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Now that's a very good quote. On a different path religion preached the fear of God leading to the same suffering. What since did very good is that it got rid of the old and stupid superstition but otherwise it didn't do the Earth a better place but maybe worse than ever befor.

• I don't think it would be crazy at all for Panasonic to release a GH5s. Here is why:

• GH5 is / was a popular video camera
    • New Sony M43 sensors are very nice
    • Panasonic can keep 90% of the same design of the GH5, allowing Panasonic to use same body (if the rumour is true)
    • Panasonic will most probably charge a premium for a low light version of the GH5.
    • GH5 form factor will be fantastic for video production
    • M43 mount lenses are great for run and gun video work- they are light, and compact
    • M43 is much easier to achieve a larger DOF, a good compromise for when you don't have a focus puller- or gimbal work, yet allows bokeh if using correct lenses
  • @eatstoomuchjam - Well it depends on the specs of the new camera and price level. Also, the suggested retail ofthe GH5 could be lowered to be even more competetive in the market. It's a year old allready.

GHxx price is allready leaked as USD 2500.

More interesting is the fact that Neumann has tagged his video with "8K".

This might suggest a radical newer sensor than the STARVIS Sony device.

14 days to know.

• Maybe the organic sensor is ready (fuji + panasonic organic sensor).

If the organic sensor is ready, the low light performance and the dynamic range can be improved without reducing the megapixels.

• Maybe there will be two versions, GH5r and GH5s:

R-resolution version with 8k video and 44 (4:3) or 33 (16:9) megapixels

S-sensitivity version with 4k video and 10 (16:9) or 12 (4:3) megapixels

• Rumored price in the 2499$ range. Availability by End February early March: https://www.43rumors.com/ft4-panasonic-gh5s-price-will-around-2499/#disqus_thread

• This is getting real.

• I'm just waiting for someone to glue an "s" onto their GH5 and make a click-bait YouTube... Better be quick- only 14 days!

• DPoa50kXkAAhiJe.jpg
    800 x 531 - 65K
    DP2W5O6X0AAWvZZ.jpg
    540 x 304 - 12K
  • Would be great to see built in ND filters if possible.

• As I said, all is too uncommon for Panasonic and for me look as thing to scare Fujifilm making quick mod for GH5.

As actually you can make some amount of prototypes very fast in 1-2 months. After this can just use common approach with delays.

• I personally hate all this fragmentation of the GH series and I don't think it will serve them well. Maybe there base customer has more money than I. They need to ditch the GH5 as is. Than Meld the GH5 into the G9 to make one camera that can do it all fairly well GH6! After all most of the differences are firmware between them. The actual hardware differences would probably be welcomed by GH5 users. If they absolutely have to they can have a paid video firmware update to turn on advanced video features. Than I would embrace the new GH5 VE what ever they want to call it that loses resolution for ultimate video quality which of course could also be fitted in the new lets call GH6 body. I think more and more photographers are doing video and stills and are looking for one camera that is functional in both that they can buy the 2 bodies (backup) for pro work not 6 or even 4.

• @Scot

Fragmentation is basic trick used by big firms and tough on marketing classes. And they look at Sony and want to repeat it all.

This is camera market

Manager can't risk with original decision, too much piranhas around, so they try to copy something that works.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev You might be right about fear of Fujifilm motivating Panasonic. I never paid to much attention to Fujifilm but after looking closer at them and the rumors on the new video orientated model of the XT2 coming Panasonic may have something to fear. Panasonic will probably remain better in video but for my needs a Hybrid that will do photos and video well the Fuji maybe a better choice going forward. I like a lot of what they are doing and offer.

• Sony needs to drop a7sIII asap

• @theconformist What Sony needs is to stop ignoring their massive APS-C market and make some lenses that normal people can actually afford. They have the excellent a6500, but only 3 or 4 decent lenses that normal people can afford to use with it. It makes no sense.

• I must say that the GH5S rumors stoped as soon as they started. So suspect a planbed early teaser leak from Panasonic.

• The newest rumour w/ this GH5s is that it will not be announced until Jan., per 43rumors. This gives more weight to the theory that the whole thing is concocted as a preemptive strike on Fuji. Pany was so scared that they were willing to canniblise GH5 sales right b4 christmas. With the Fuji specs revealed to be lackluster in video, there is no hurry for GH5s either.

• @cindy6

It was very unusual for Panasonic.

I mean all this media thing.

As far as I know things are bad. Especially in US and EU.
    Most GH5 sales are done by gray market and during big discounts days.
    Some models barely survive.

• @cindy6 I think Panasonic should still worry the Fujifilm camera maybe just what I'm looking for. Panasonic's fragmentation of there offerings is annoying to me as well as costs. I want one camera that does Photos and Video well not 3 and the XH1 maybe the best hybrid camera for me in 2018.