Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
ColorGHear TOOLKIT- color grading SYSTEM for AE
  • 1015 Replies sorted by
  • @shian, is it possible to render out your generated film grain as an overlay? Whenever I use the generator my render time shoots through the roof

• This took me 30 seconds to punch up. Minus Blue, CineGHamma, and Spectral enhancer. The main problem I see, is that like the canon cameras, the image seems a bit soft, I fixed the blue cast, and punched it up a bit, nothing drastic.

CGT-cineGH_Spec_minusB.png
    1680 x 922 - 6M
  • @shian and others.

I'm ready to buy ColorGHear, I have a few questions first...

I have a weekend "job" that I make aerial photography (90% videos) of mostly nature or sports (like mountain bikes, skate etc) I use magic bullet looks but mostly the presets and some customization of these presets. But I want to do better.

My first problem is that I don't know WHERE to start. I mean, what is the first thing I have to do? What I have to change? Is this enough? What is wrong with the picture right now? Do you think your software/tutorials can help me on these matters?

Example, the image below was recorded using a NEX5n its a direct from camera image. Can someone tell me how to enhance the image? Or if some kind soul can enhance so I can see what is possible to achieve.

Thanks!

devassa.jpg
    1680 x 922 - 899K
  • Thanks @shian ! No Twixtor, only some 720/50p footage for the slo-mo shots.

• @MarkV when I upload 1080p files to vimeo they get downscaled to 720.

• @seb3000 nice dude. Did you use twixtor on that at all?

• I attended a hill climb race last week. Took my GH1 with me and made a short clip using ColorGHear for grading.

• What are you talking about?! I can still upload and render 1080p videos on Vimeo and view 1080p on Vimeo..

• uploaded a version to Vimeo for you, I don't like that vimeo doesn't support 1080 anymore

• Nice work. I recognized Andrew's footage almost immediately.

I'm allergic to u toob

• Done with colorghear after finishing all the tutorials to practice. Definitely had to go back and review some things!! Over all i'm fairly happy with it. a bit of a conservative grade, wish I had pushed it some more. But not too shabby for my first try I think.

Also my first upload in 4k, how do you compare the quality to vimeo, @shian?

• For those who saw the broadcast Friday night, withhold judgement till you see my reel. Something must have gone wrong in the conversion for broadcast. The footage I saw projected at Comic-Con, and in the color session looked fantastic. I still haven't heard what went wrong, but I think it was the heavy grain we added in post to make it look like a 16mm Grindhouse movie, whatever compression scheme the network used just turned it into a macro blocking nightmare. We are attempting to replace it with a file of our own for future broadcasts and online streaming.

• @psywhisper .. great thanks .. three people here who are looking forward to the subtitles.

• @MarkV thanks! You really should try to get there someday - it's great experience :)

@shian Oh, that's great news! Is it going to be a plug-in or presets?

@kavadni Yes, that's Twitch (slider RGB split and blur ON) Ok, I'm going to add subtitles on pop-up in youtube. :)

• @psywhisper .. is that the twitch plugin?

Film looks really interesting .. I request you add subtitles in English

• @psywhisper I love the little registration glitches. I'm working on something similar with the Emulsion GHear.

• @psywhisper Really cool! I'd love to see this place in person! I'll definitely take a trip there one day...

• Guys! New video from Chernobyl, Ukraine! Litl bit CGH ^_^

• @duartix yeah, I'm making it possible to have the user determine how much to apply the grain to various tonal areas. I solved the emulsion problem, but still playing with the grain itself. I feel like Khan in Star Trek II, "He tasks me.... he tasks me and I shall have him!"

@all The Episode of Femme Fatales I DPed (The Grindhouse Episode) "Hell Hath No Furies" airs this Friday on Cinemax

http://www.cinemax.com/video/?bctid=1698872214001

• @shian Looking at your rough GHrain example at around 58s right in that space behind the character's back of the neck, there is something strange that I can't explain. It's like the camera is shaking but the noise isn't... :(

Is that what you mean when you mentioned that "The trick is getting it to move right(...)" ? BTW, are you applying equal noise to highlights and shadows?

• Did a quickie to enter Bloom's "The Sequence" challenge. Had to be under a minute. Didn't have anyone else to help so it's a one man band production...

Colored with ColorGHear using Shadow Lift, Spectral Enhancer and Toner with Desaturation.

No, I didn't really shoot up either......

Tony

• New Film School tutorial is live: Falloff and Intensity. I try to make sense of the Inverse Square Law, and put it into terms you can understand. I also show you why if you don't already have a light meter, you're going to want one now.

• With current cinematic style tending towards lots of black (or at least, very dark) sections to the image, its important when applying grain to keep it from brightening the dark areas too much if at all.

That being said, the grain really should be applied very near last. Let us know how you sort this out, I'm very interested.

• check out the grain on this shian, I love it.

He said he just used 1.5-3% of a light grain from MBL

• @stonebat the trick is where in the mix and how to blend it, otherwise it goes pear-shaped damn fast.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions