Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
ColorGHear TOOLKIT- color grading SYSTEM for AE
  • 1015 Replies sorted by
  • @RJH It's all in the Automatic Duck tutorial (#6), and the 5DtoRGB settings you listed are correct

• @shian regarding exporting from FCP into AE using automatic duck, what settings do you use? And just to confirm, when using 5dtoRGB, you import at prores 4444, ITU-R BT.709 decoding matrix, gamma flagging set to none, post processing none...is that all correct?

Cheers

• Dynamic Range tutorial is now live.

@tinbeo I've messaged you several times to send me 2 clips (1 GH1, 1 GH2) that you are trying to match, I can't tweek a specific GHear for this without such footage, but I'm more than willing to do so.

• @artiswar

If the # of clips is small enough, I edit everything from AE. Trim, insert, compose, etc.

Otherwise I'd use PP CS5 to compose then open PP project from AE CS5. This might be more useful when I upgrade to PP CS 5.5 or higher as it can sync audios. Hopefully it is one-way trip from PP to AE.

• @shian wish you could do a tutor matching color of gh1&gh2 as promised " help is coming" soon

• Very clever. Thanks!

• @artiswar nope. You are only attaching them, like a wrapper, so they are 2 separate files that operate as one

• And this marriage, is it another compression step?

• Not sure I understand the question, but i always do audio separately, either in Soundtrack Pro (if I'm doing it), or export an OMF for Protools (if I'm having done by someone else), and marry them back together in QT Pro.

• @shian - Where does audio come in?

• Right here is the best place. It's seems to be where the public is going for info on CGT

http://colorghear.com/the-revolution-begins-january-1st/

As far as PP and ME, I don't really know, that'd probably be a question for Adobe. I don't have the full Suite, just AFX. But by all means, feel free to do some short tests and comparisons to see if the quality is the same.

I go from 5DtoRGB into ProRes 444 no gamma, then import into FCP for editing - FCP into AE via Automatic Duck - grade and render out ProRes 444 from there, then export everything else from either QT Pro or Compressor.

• I was going to put the comment on the site, but there's no comment bar on the bottom of the tutorial page.

About fx encoding: Rendering out of ae uses the same endoing engine as media encoder, ae uses an embedded version of media encoder- so it's the same engine as going out of premeire. Is that correct ?

As of cs 5.5 you can drag and drop an afterfx comp. into media encoder as well.

However, the custom renders you gave us are only visible in fx. The custom encoding presets in fx and in media encoder don't play together. Which is just stupid by adobe. So I have to port them.

Another rendering question,

the 5dtorgb debate rolls on. Are you using it before editing files in adobe? Or working with the mts files directly? I don't care about the debate, just want to know what you do. Seems to me that the final 444prores of dnxhd encode does the same thing in the end.

• @shian - Some intereresting stuff from Adobe

"Color and Dynamic Link After Effects works with the RGB (red, green, blue) color model. AdobePremiere Pro, however, works with the YUV color model. When you work with a dynamically linked composition, Adobe Premiere Pro either converts it to YUV or retains the RGB colors, depending on the output format.

Dynamically linked compositions are rendered in the color depth of the After Effects project (8, 16, or 32 bpc, depending on project settings). Set the After Effects project color depth to 32 bpc if you’re working with HDR (high dynamic range) assets."

Especially the first bit about color.

• @No_SuRReNDeR Yup! You can absolutely setup AFX to render across multiple machines, you'll need a networked drive, you'll use the collect function and copy all the files into a shared "watch folder", and then do this:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/9.0/WS3878526689cb91655866c1103a4f2dff7-79a2a.html

• The Hollywood Reporter's obituary on my mentor, John Lowry. RIP http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/john-lowry-renowned-restorer-hollywood-284089

• @shian So as you know Im shooting a feature ATM...the guys I'm working with are building an edit in Premiere. I plan to have them complete the final cut edit there, with just basic minimal color correction. Then I am planing to use Dynamic link to send the sequence over to AE and do all the grading. After which is complete...I then render the film(probably take 2 days with big fans blowing on the laptop) out to the ProRes 444 for author Bluray and DVD versions via compressor or perhaps Media Encoder....is that a good workflow? Also is there some way to harness the power of another Macbook Pro to render farm ? Stoopid question I'm sure...

• @artiswar I hate re-compressing. I used to have to do it coming out of FCP without automatic duck, and I hated it. My advice: never re-compress anything unless you have no other choice.

With the new tutorial addendum to working with sequences, I think I've eliminated the need to have to do any selective grading and roundtripping.

Although, I'm curious how CGT performs in your Premiere roundtrip model, vs rendering out of AE.

• @redbaron The render in engine in AFX is so far superior to anything else in it's class. Your trip to AE should be your next to last step. Render out of AE to a 444 format (ProRes 444 or DNxHD) and then use QT Pro to render out everything else you need from that master file. There's a tutorial on the site that shows you how.

I even pull my ProRes masters into Compressor to make Bluray M2V's and DVD files.

You don't have to do it this way, but if you aren't getting results like the stuff you've seen from me, then that is why.

• Thank you guys for your well wishes, I'm feeling better physically, and emotionally, and am determined to knock out the legacy support today.

I was checking the site's trackback stats of late, and noticed that not everyone that comes to the CGT site comes from here, nor are they privy to these conversations or the grateful emails I have received from many of you. I would appreciate it, if those who have bought CGT and like it, would post comments on the site itself, and let those checking it out know how you feel. Thanks to those who already have, no need to post a comment again.

Also feel free to share links to the videos and the site on other message boards. I've seen a few links coming in from other forums, thanks to whoever posted those.

Also, when the next tutorial goes live, many of you will find that your patronage will have long lasting benefits you probably hadn't anticipated. You are not just going to get grading and color correction insight from me, but I'll be launching a new tutorial series with tips on pre-production, test shooting to find the right look, cinematography, building your own lights, as well as Industry Professionals dropping by to give you hands on demos - everything from storyboarding, production design, VFX, fabrication (making, pouring, and pulling molds), set construction on a budget, costuming, make-up (camera and FX), and much more. And everyone who has purchased CGT before Feb 15th will be grandfathered in. So it won't cost you a dime extra.

• @redbaron - I cut my edit in Premiere, then proceed to send each clip with Dynamic Link to After Effects to do my grading. Technical grade with Color Finesse, creative grade in ColorGHear. Then it's back to Premiere to render and encode. I'm wondering, though if it's quicker to render each clip out of After Effects and replace the clips in Premiere with the newly created files. @shian - Is this preferable, even if I'm losing a generation of video (i.e. Compressing again)

• A quick question about workflow. Shian , or anyone else, do you do basic cuts in Premiere or FCP and then import into AE for grading? Does anyone prefer Dynamic Linking to Importing? And also, if you do use Premeire, is ther an advantage to using the curves in AE in 32 bit mode over using the curves in Premiere in native 32 bit mode? The reason I ask is the response in Premiere is realtime for 32 bit curves/levels using the CUDA openGL acceleration.

Thanks. P.S. I am a proud owner of ColorGHear!

• So now that I took the time to watch all the tutorials and not ASSume I understand the tool...now my footage is on fire. This is such a great way to grade footage and its a steal at the current price.

• @shian: sorry to hear about your friend and mentor. Life... Think of it, still he contributed to the arts and passed it on - great deed, as we all shall pass. It made me think of color grading and the process of image manipulation and scanning, development etc. Pre-computers (fast enough and budget-wise feasible) what was the workflow? How much more "creative" and experimental can we be now (yes, i LOVE the undo button - it is a cost saver and a curse, since there is also a lot of indecision)?

What was the worklflow then? Now that "everybody" got HD and filmlooks, how can we stand out? Is it again bringing content and story, not just good looks? I know they are intertwined. No story, we turn to the other noise to see what's up... ;) What do you think? Interesting to hear ppl in the "business" as an aspiring artist. If you have the time I'd love to hear your stance and point of view... Maybe wrong forum - as a subscriber, should I take it at CGH?

Peace! Best from Sweden!

ALWAYS LABEL :P... YEP!

• How to treat sequences and apply "copy and paste attributes" type grading to various clips at once Tutorial is now live.

• +1. Everyone needs a break sometimes.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions