Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Beachtek DXA-SLR for HDSLR Video
  • There are lots of ways to plug XLR microphones into an HDSLR camera now-a-days. You can use a juicedLink box, a Studio 1 Productions adapter, or even a new Sound Devices MixPre-D with the mounting accessory. But if you want to keep things relatively simple yet still get great sound, one of the best options is the Beachtek DXA-SLR.

For ages the name “Beachtek” was used much in the same way that the term “Xerox” is used for copies. When you needed to plug an XLR microphone into your camera, people told you to use a Beachtek. They certainly wouldn’t say “Use a Camcorder XLR Adapter,” even though, technically, that’s what these boxes are called. In recent years Beachtek has faced lots of healthy competition from the likes of a new-comer called juciedLink. But Beachtek didn’t rest on its laurels, and recently developed the DXA-SLR specifically for HDSLR video shooters.

Read the rest here - http://www.sam-mallery.com/archives/1370

Available at: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/842095-REG/Beachtek_DXA_SLR_PRO_DXA_SLR_PRO_HDSLR_Audio.html
  • 44 Replies sorted by
  • Is it worth the upgrade to purchase the Ultra?

What is your goal in purchasing it? Old thing not having enough gain, or something else?

If I lower the GH4 to -12 with limiter on, will I still get good audio quality with my original DXA-SLR?

You can check it, as you have it.

• I have the original Beachtek DXA-SLR that I bought with my GH2. I just saw this article about the beachtek ultra and the GH4 http://beachtek.com/panasonic-gh4-audio-performance/

Is it worth the upgrade to purchase the Ultra? If I lower the GH4 to -12 with limiter on, will I still get good audio quality with my original DXA-SLR? I'm using a Audio-Technica AT875R shotgun mic. Mostly used for live event production. I have a Tascam DR-40 as well and use it sometimes for live events however I liked being able to adjust my knobs with the beachtek. Thanks

• Here's a comparison of the Beachtek versus the Juicedlink PreAmp.

• Did I miss something? The Beachtek DXA-SLR output delivers 0dBu maximum gain, correct? This is is way too hot for the GH2´s inputs. In the audio hacks discussion, we found out that -27dBu is the sweet spot for the 203-AGC setting, which provides the least of amplification. You will need a voltage divider/damping pad for using the Beachtek with the GH2

• @Jive thanks for the comprehensive comparison. This confirmed my earlier feeling that the DR-100 would be a better value for me.

• @Sangye there are a few things that I can think of that make a preamp like the DXA-SLR better compared to recorder such as the Tascam DR-100

• Ergonomics - Separate level control knobs for each input. The DR-100's knobs are grouped and difficult to adjust separately on the fly. Also, the DXA-SLR knobs are positioned for easy access by the camera operator, whereas the DR-100's knobs are on the side.
    • Phantom power - selectable on per-channel basis
    • Mounting - Can be mounted directly to camera
    • Mic level output - no need for additional attentuation

However, the DR-100 has some benefits of it's own:

• Backup recording - You can also record directly on the DR-100 in addition to sending audio to the camera
    • Power options - Both appear to get about the same battery life (~9 hours/phantom power off), but the DR-100 can be powered by an external power source (AC adapter, battery pack, etc.)
    • Versatility - A recorder like the DR-100 can be used capture audio even when not connected to a camera, whereas a standalone preamp is not of much use when disconnected from the camera (or other recording device)
    • Price - Recent sales have dropped the price of the DR-100MK2 down as low as $225 (currently $245 after discount on Amazon (link for the lazy)), which really makes getting this unit instead of a preamp a no brainer if you can work around the recorder's relative shortcomings listed above.
  • Is there any real benefit to using a Beachtek type audio adapter, over using something like the Tascam DR-100 feeding audio into the GH2 via the line-out jack? Since the DR-100 has dedicated line-out and headphone jacks, one wouldn't need to use a splitter or anything. And the added recording feature / built-in microphones of the DR-100 seem to put it well ahead of Beachtek audio adapters, while costing less.

The only possible drawback I can think of is that it eats through batteries a bit faster, but I'd just be powering it off of a high-mAh battery pack on my rig, anyway.

It seems like it's an easy decision, but am I missing something here?

• Beachtek makes great stuff. I've rented one before (don't recall specific model). I would be interested to know what that Tascam can do, though. Getting audio into a DSLR shouldn't be rocket science, and if you're really wanting highest quality audio, record separate to a 744/788T.

• It sounds like good alternative to very priced preamps.

Needs testing, of course.
  • tascam.jpg
    500 x 500 - 42K
  • Never mind, my bad. Coupon not good on third party products.
  • +$30 Fedex delivery? thanks a lot
  • I was looking at this and found a good deal. Digital juice has it on sale at $349 -$25 coupon + free shipping + free flash mount bracket (saw it on ebay for around $89). Goo through oct 2 only!! Hurry if you want one.

http://www.digitaljuice.com/products/products.asp?pid=1698
  • Yeah, it has a screw hole.
  • I got a question about Beachtek. Can you attach a plate to its bottom once your DSLR is already screwed on? Does it have a screw hole?
  • @soapey I think for the mid to upper mid range, you cannot now (check back in 6 months) beat RME digital pres, such are in the FF400 and Micstasy. Those digital pres compare well with my very expensive pres. That factors in durability, power supply, hum and RF rejection, sound quality, converters, etc. SD is good gear, I do prefer RME. I think the Fostex FR2LE sounds very good as well, for live situations, where the ambient noise is higher than the internal noise, it is very good. On paper the Fostex looks good, but it sounds great. Go figure. I think the DR 680 pres are as good as the SD. The 680 have a slightly open and clear sound, the SD are slightly darker, slightly more closed. The high speed Audio Upgrades card is a very good choice for any kind of music or dialog, and it is cheap. $450 will get you a Mackie with very good pres that will drive almost any mic. The Grace pres are truly high end.
    SD has a very nice design--compact, easy battery, etc. I just don't think they have the best pres, but at that level it becomes pretty subjective. They certainly are good.
    @stonebat--yup, balanced is overrated for short runs.
  • Within 10 ft... don't worry about balanced and unbalanced cables.
  • Well actually I am talking about the difference between balanced(XLR) and Unbalanced(RCA) cables. Balanced cables like XLR can be very long and produce little to zero electrical hum....

If you have a long consumer RCA cable cable for example it will have a "hum" in the line because the run is long and its an unbalanced signal...

So as far as noise issue with an adapter goes they should be minimal because the unbalanced cords are like 6-12 inch max in length...the longer the cord the worse the unbalanced cable will sound...

http://soundinfo.wikidot.com/ballanced-vs-unballanced-audio
  • @Pitchaw
    All I know is running a decent self powered mic (Rode NT3 and Senn me66) sounds decent. Light years better than what's recorded off the onboard mic.
  • @brianluce Thanks, good to hear :) Does an adapter affect the quality much? I've heard comparisons between the Videomic Pro and an NTG-2, but only with the NTG-2 going directly into an XLR recorder.

@No_SuRReNDeR Thats what I'm using at the moment, except with a Videomic Pro. What noise issues are there with using an XLR adapter?
  • If you just need a cheap Run-and-Gun you could always get the Rode and a 3.5 to 2.5 cable...

-> http://www.amazon.com/Rode-VideoMic-Directional-Condenser-Microphone/dp/B0007U9SOC/

Then you don't need adapters and the quality is great since the cable from mic to camera isn't long enough to cause bad noise issues.
  • @Ptchaw
    Yep, I use that set up all the time for fast and dirty stuff. Just remember, that won't get you all the way there, you need 3.5 to 2.5 reducer -- I haven't seen xlr to 2.5. I tape the connectors to each other for safety. And your mic needs some sort of power too of course.
  • Thanks stonebat that is what I was thinking just wasn't sure.
  • It takes two balanced inputs. i.e. left channel and right channel separately. It mixes and outputs unbalanced signal.

If you connect one mic input, it feeds to only one input channel. it outputs with only one channel.

Just duplicate the channel during post-processing.