Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH2 v1.1 new firmware with 25p discussion topic
  • 637 Replies sorted by
  • amho, the question here is ; did panasonic changed the quality of build-in encoder (nr, etc.) in their new firmware? Or is it still the same?
  • @ghostlayer
    +1 wtf lol, hbr wraped in i jajaja.
  • is the new update any better than the hack i.e. aqua2?
  • @ragnar +1. instant bootup and shutdown. love it!!!
  • @arvidtp

Thanks for answering my question. :)
  • Can't believe new 25p brought so many comments !
    Progressive modes are often wrapped into interlaced. What matters is what I get in quicktime and it's definitely progressive ! I always use Neoscene Cineform to convert .mts into Apple ProRes HQ.
    I am a happy PAL user with 25p.
    I have noticed that Noise Reduction seems much better in high ISO, I may post some tests on Vimeo soon.
    I still wonder with Panasonic gives so crapy, unclear, unstandard names to its video modes !
    720p50p/1080p25p/1080p24p would be so much better than "HBR" "Cinema" "FHD" "SH" "FSH" and WTF !
    why 25p is name "High Bitrate" as is not any higher than 1080p 24p? (24 Mbs max?)

In the end It is a decent and good update, I hope our FRIEND will bring a great hack with intra codec !

Cheers

ghostlayer
  • Yep, powers up instantly.
  • Ok. Thanks for your reply No Surrender. It's a nice feature, just no one mentioned it so I figured...

Harold House
  • @ragnar...yeah its really quick now...Mine does that too ...well at least if you see a Ufo or Bigfoot you wont miss it!

• @perder Nope still 40-I'd imagine its a buffer thing...you can get 1-2 more in H though.
  • I've noticed that my GH2 turns on instantly after I installed the 1.1 firmware. I mean instantly. I'm thinking maybe after the firmware install I need to go to one of the menus and turn off some sort of 'instant on' feature? I looked for it but can't find one. Doesn't mean it isn't there. Anyway, with the original firmware it took just a bit before I saw the LCD screen all ready to go. Now when I flip the switch to On...boom, it's on and ready to use. I'm not complaining but is this normal?

Harold House
  • weird...on my camera off is off and on is on (for shutter release)
  • Anyone think the "Half shutter press" option is backwards? Meaning if it's set to on, it doesn't work, and if it's off, it does. I think that's weird.
  • please , can anyone from Ntsc land send a small clip (30p and 60i) to Carol from clipwrap ?
    I send him 2 files from Pal but he needs from NTSC too.

send the files here... http://uploads.divergentmedia.com/submitfile/caseid/4255_brf40sbclg7gp8vc
  • Probably not until the hack is ported.
  • Is it possible to use the new firmware on a Japanese/US GH2 and have 25p?
  • "Increased number of recordable images in consecutive shooting."

I don't suppose this applies to the 40fps speed?
  • Yes, I understood, but I don't need to render (it's transcoded, but still 25p in a 50i wrapper, aka PsF).
  • I dont have any problem too in FCPX (declaring as progressive).
    Read carefully my comment.
  • Hi Lenuisible and Starstuff.

I saw a review on B&H for the hyperdeck and he said that the HDMI footage out of the Gh2 was 420 so at least at present there is no 422 color compression option for the gh2.
  • Sorry, folks, our Ninja was out shooting last night, I tested it now.

As long as the camera itself is not recording, the HDMI output is running in 50i, is more contrasty and somewhat more reddish-yellow. As soon as the camera is recording too (set to 25p, of course), HDMI is going PsF and the image is considerably better. Nice, but no reason to buy a Ninja (or any other recorder).

In my former tests, the hacked GH2 was so close to the external recording that I see no sense in buying one for this camera. I'm sure our hero Vitaliy will do the same to 25p and we'll have REAL high bit rate soon…

@toxotis70 In FCP7 I have no problem declaring it as 25p.

• Try this in FCPX.
    Make a new timeline (project) in 1080 25p.
    Import the fotage from GH2 and declare it as progressive.
    Then put the footage to the timeline... orange bar is apeearing (it needs render) !
    Not a good thing...

If you put any pure 25p footage , no render needed.
  • @Clermond In FCPX, you can chose to consider the footage progressive in the inspector... and the video looks normal and pretty good. No need to convert with 5DtoRGB.
  • cool...no problem to go back to the old Hack (1.0)... yeah!!
  • Maybe with HDMI recording ...