Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Looking into the future

This is Sony TX-55

It gets some insigts about compacts and mirrorless future.

3.3-inch (1,229K dots) OLED Extra Fine touch screen with wide viewing angle

OLED and AmoLED screens will become standard on all, but cheapest cameras.
    Of course, capacitive touchscreens.
    Sony is going in right way.
    Same will happen with viewfinders (look how good are Sony viewfinders).

Optical SteadyShot with Active Mode

It is also clear that time of sensor based stabilization era is near the end due to video advantages of optical approach.

Background Defocus

Will be very useful as soon as they get it combined with sweep panorama mode.
    So, all you need is to pan camera slightly and press shutter at any point.

Also want add here that soon most premium compacts will go into 3D having two lenses.
    So, software background defocus could be wastly improved even without panning.
    Sharp turn will happen in 2012.
  • 2 Replies sorted by
  • What are you thoughts on the near future from an engineering (not marketing) point of view.

What is holding back higher dynamic range? I'm sure there is no magic in an Alexa CMOS, that Canon/Panasonic engineers don't know.

What prevents a higher bit depth such as 10 bit etc? Is that major technological bump?

Global shutter? 2/3" CMOS have global shutters now. It is my understanding on larger sensors a global shutter would reduce dynamic range?

Obviously, cost of storage, speed, and capacity will be increasing, so lower bandwidths, to either get more minutes on an average card, or keep withing max write rates will be a non issue. Just found an 8MB Compact flash card in my drawer. There are 128GB card now, that is 16,000x the capacity!!!
  • Two lenses could make for high quality HDR as well, right? Maybe even in video mode :)