Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Olympus em5 ii hack or firmware update for improved video quality?
  • I am looking to buy my first real video camera and liked the look of the em5ii. especially because of that amazing stabilization. Unfortunately when I looked at some sample video it looked pretty bad. Is it possible a firmware update or a hack like the one on the gh2 could improve the quality of this otherwise great camera?

• 4 Replies sorted by
  • there is no new hack activity anymore. if you want a new feature, then you should buy a new camera. in hand of those who capable, even a hacked GH1 could produce nice footage with the helps of lighting and quality sound editing

• Huh maybe I'm overestimating the camera, but it seems like it would be pretty amazing with a hack. There is currently no other sensor stabilized camera that can be had for that cheap(500 bucks with a kit lens used) that has more profesional features and build quality. Anyone who can hack this camera would be very popular with the enthusiast video crowd.

• That's the route I went. Even though I have a E-M5 (Mk1), I picked up a used GH1 for the sole purpose of being hacked, because it'll produce a much higher capture than my measly 20mbit on the E-M5.

And the last time there was a rumor of hacking the E-M5 was nearly 4 years ago and nothing came of it.

At least the E-M5 Mark 2 is alongside the E-M1 in receiving firmware updates with new "features", though not as often as the E-M1 it seems. http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/upgrade

• @bokehman64 ....apparently u underestimate by a magnitude of 100 what it takes to hack a camera. I'd be looking at the gx80