Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
AVCHD 1080p time lapse
  • 67 Replies sorted by
  • @markmark1 in AE set video 'Stretch' to 2-5%. CC Force Motion blur with settings: Motion blur samples:8 (more - better but slower. depend on stretch value) Shutter angle - 180. Thats all
  • @KeithLommel

Manual focus allows for 1/2 second shutter. M mode too, I'm pretty sure.
  • @balazar Sorry if this is a newb question, but how exactly are you able to set a shutter speed of 1/2 second? With my camera, I'm unable to set anything slower than 1/25. Is there a hack option that I'm unaware of?

Thanks!
  • @Max how exactly did you use the filter in AE?
  • AVCHD 1080p is real 1080p. Lowering the shutter speed to 1/2 doesn't change that. Setting the GOP length to 13 yields the same video quality as GOP=1, since you get one I-frame per picture taken. Just make sure you use the I-frames in decoding. (my Avisynth script accomplishes that with the SelectEvery(13) expression)
  • @balazer ....and it's real 1080p as it is assumed that MJPEG will extrapolate from 720p.

Would it be too bad for the image to multiply GOP=13.
  • My GOP=13, S=0.5s 1080p AVCHD recordings were 40-60 minutes per 2 GB. But of course AVCHD doesn't stop recording at 2 GB like MJPEG does.
  • @balazer how long can you record if you would come to 2GB. Compared to the MJPEG (approx. 1 hour at 1080p, 2GB and 2ps) will you save lot more space on your card.
  • On the GH1 you can still shoot 1080p AVCHD with a 1/30 s shutter and just use more frame blending to get whatever speedup you want.

@Max, I really liked these time lapse videos of yours:

• Looks great, shame this only works on the GH2 [on the GH1 1/2 second shutter can only be used in 720p 50/60fps mode]
  • my sample of 1/2 shutter video. Used After Effects and 'CC Force Motion blur' filter for frame blending
  • Either my ability to test is compromised at this hour (which is entirely possible) or you're right (which is even more likely). :)

There's a decent chance I got frame blending and field blending mixed up, in which case I apologize for the confusion. I'll check again when I'm a bit more alert.
  • Simple blending *is* averaging.
  • Maybe I'm misreading your script: it looks like it's using blending, not averaging. I'll try it and then see if I misread it.
  • My approach uses averaging, and it lets you combine as many frames as you want.
  • You can go even further, if you are willing to export to image sequences. :)

One of my favorite approaches is to use averaging instead. There are tons of more complex programs for this purpose, but Photomatix Pro has a batch averaging mode that lets you combine anywhere from 2 to 12 exposures per frame (with the added benefit of noise reduction smoothing).

The math is:
    # of exposures to average X 100% = playback rate as percentage

So you can get 200% to 1200% playback rate easily that way.

In my experience with both, the results are a lot more rewarding with averaging.