Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Panasonic G80 / G85 / G8 4K 5-axis stab magnesium monster
  • 511 Replies sorted by
  • Expected shipping in US is October 25.

• the last test was shot in 1080/50 for a real time video. Dont know the reason for not shooting real time in 4k.

• I was cruising through a Yodobashi in west tokyo yesterday and wanted to go see the gx80/85 again and had no idea the G8 was even coming, but there it was between the GH4 and GX. I can't say much since I didn't have allot of time, but it felt overall nice in the hand, though it almost seemed to rough/angled in the hand compared to the g7, but it may just have been my imagination or that I was coming down with a cold. It was a Japanese version but I was easily able to switch it to English. I went straight to video and found avchd and mp4 options. MP4 allows 4k, avchd does not go above 1080p (or was it the other way around?). It seemed very limited in the video options, but I've been using gopros on multirotors for most the last 2 years, so it's probably just me, but I was surprised there was no 720p with higher frame rates than 60fps on something that is 4k capable and brand new and also a bit surprised the bitrates were not more flexible with 24p 4k and 30p both set at 100mbps. Nothing wrong with it I am sure, but why not give a bit more for 24p. That being said, I will likely pick one up in the future when the price drops to my liking.

Totally off topic, but I was in a bar a couple years back here, and happened to meet someone who was directly involved with the venus engine on the GH2 and the yet to be released GH models at the time, and I shared with him some footage from my GH2 patched with driftwoods work, and the guy was almost in tears. He was very aware of the potential of the camera, but it was very clear he was also aware of how much Panasonic was holding it back. Sadly I lost his contact info, but it's a small area where he lives so if I dedicate enough bar trips and late night meanderings through the neighborhood I may meet him again.

• Totally off topic, but I was in a bar a couple years back here, and happened to meet someone who was directly involved with the venus engine on the GH2 and the yet to be released GH models at the time, and I shared with him some footage from my GH2 patched with driftwoods work, and the guy was almost in tears. He was very aware of the potential of the camera, but it was very clear he was also aware of how much Panasonic was holding it back. Sadly I lost his contact info, but it's a small area where he lives so if I dedicate enough bar trips and late night meanderings through the neighborhood I may meet him again

Let me know if you do. :-)

• The colors from the "Autumn" video look very nice.

• Lumix GH4 vs GX85 / GX80

• I did an extensive search yesterday and found some with the 12-60mm in stock at Unique Photo https://www.uniquephoto.com/product/panasonic-lumix-g85-mirrorless-micro-4-3-digital-camera-with-12-60mm-lens

• Sample videos by DPReview

Dual IS Demo

• [yt]

My g85 is doing the same thing. Footage is unusable!

• @hanriverprod

Did you tried using unsterilized lenses? Or it is pure sensor bases stab performance issue?

• My G80 is doing the same with every lens i tested. Got it with a new 12-60 but also tried the older 14-140 mega ois and a canon fd 50 with speed booster. In photo mode the issue is not present, just if you switch to video mode or start recording.

• @ncortinhal

Can be specific camera. Where else you saw same behavior?

• It does the same like we see in this comparison video between the GX80 vs G80. Even in very slow smooth movements it always gives a jump, seems like the sensor is trying to stick to point A and then reacts late to the change and jumps to point B.

• Can be just firmware issue.

• :-) Already sent them an email reporting, not really sure if that will help in anything. Fingers crossed. Loving the camera so far, upgrading from a hacked GH2.

• This is sad news with multiple reports hopefully Panasonic can and will move quickly to correct.

• This is sad news with multiple reports hopefully Panasonic can and will move quickly to correct.

Funnies thing will be if it is hardware issue that you can't fix.

Or may be G80 after doing exactly 9999 such fast image shifts will... explode. And all was just warning.

• All the pros who "tested" this camera.

• OMG! My G80 arrives in 2 weeks and i pay the whole amount when preorder.

• @DrDave

All the pros who "tested" this camera.

Lately we saw ton of professional tests of Google smartphones camera where they did not saw even worse thing.

But here can be firmware issue as testers never do final firmware.

• That's a serious bummer. Let's see if GH5 has that 'feature'.