Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Xiaomi Mi Air, same as Apple but cheaper
  • 56 Replies sorted by
  • Audio is crippled and TP is slow. I've gone the hackintosh route many times before. Trust me on this one - Apple laptops are worth the money. Buy a used Macbook Air if you want one.

Hackintosh is only valuable for desktops.

• Touchpad and bluetooth now working, only wlan has to be solved with usb-WIFI. OSX very speedy on this laptop!

see: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-xiaomi-mi-notebook-air-12-for-newbies-almost-there.213606/

• as noted earlier, this notebook has been hackintoshed, but without touchpad, bluetooth or WLAN... which makes it pretty crippled for now with OSX. https://www.hackintosh-forum.de/index.php/Thread/29236-Xiaomi-12-5/?pageNo=13

That said, I own the 12,5 model running Win10 and I really like it, quite a bargain to boot. I would NEVER edit a film on a laptop unless I absolutely had to anyway. This notebook is just for simple stuff on-the-road, and for that it is a dream, at under 1kg and NO foooking advertising logos all over it. Thank you, Xiaomi!

• TonyMac does have a thread on trying to Hackintosh it. THe GPU is usually the issue with the laptops, so far there are very few laptops that can be Hackintoshed and are suitable for video editing. I have yet to find a modern one…

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/xiaomi-mi-notebook-air.198598/

• @Azo I didn't suggest building a Hackintosh (in this thread ;-) but your point is very valid and since I may need a laptop spec'd for video editing in Premiere CC at some point, I may have to switch to windows myself.

• I am kinda done with Apple. After CFreak suggested building a hackintosh I see no point in purchasing the desktops that are totally week in multiple areas. 6 months ago my son wanted to switch from Mac to PC I asked him why and he said he wanted to play games and Macs suck for that. Anyways I ended up purchasing this computer for him.

ASUS ZenBook Pro UX501VW 15.6-Inch 4K Touchscreen Laptop (Core i7-6700HQ CPU, 16 GB DDR4, 512 GB NVMe SSD, GTX960M GPU, Thunderbolt III, Windows 10 Home)

This computer smokes most if not all of the MacBook Pro's and had all of the latest and greatest tech at just about half the price. Apple Computers can go take a hike. They used to be good but now they just give you substandard components and then to slap you in the face they charge you a ridiculous amount on top of that. Left all the professionals high and dry!!!! I am so over Apple they can kiss my ass.

Oh and look at the pricing on this computer... PFFFT Apple Please.... 13.3" model is $750, Core i5-6200U/GeForce 940MX/8GB RAM/256GB SSD, 40Wh battery, 0.6" thick, 2.8 pounds

• @jleo my understanding from TonyMac was that in most cases Hackintosh laptops need a USB WLAN dongle (I think they can be small). There are other compromises with them too, as in you can't take advantage of a discrete GPU (due to optimus ) but, I'm not a windows expert. The trackpad is a different story. Maybe look this thing up on TonyMac, they will know for sure.

• Xiaomi Mi Notebook Air Hackintosh (German)

Conclusion: MacOS 10.12 Sierra on Xiaomi Mi Notebook Air 12.5

The installation of macOS 10.12 Sierra on the Xiaomi Mi Notebook Air 12.5 works, but essential functions such as WLAN and trackpad are not available or only rudimentarily available. Also, the standby mode does not work. So you have to use a USB WLAN stick and a mouse to be able to work with the Xiaomi notebook under macOS halfway sensibly.

https://translate.google.ca/translate?hl=en&sl=de&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.zdnet.de%2F88283562%2Finstallation-von-macos-10-12-sierra-auf-xiaomi-mi-notebook-air-12-5%2F

• @Sangye

Windows is a tool :-) As for bezel - no one cares.

• Nice, but until it's a Hackintosh it is not comparable. Windows is a nightmare. Also the bezel is not uniform width (thicker on top and bottom than sides), which seems very un-Apple.

• As far as I can see ports are USB 3.1, as for thunderbird it makes sense only if you have two fastest SSD drives and transfer really big amount of info. Just note - all this build in SSD drives won't survive such usage for long.

• Thunderbolt 3 for fast data transfer would make these a no brainer for me. oh well... will wait for Mi Air 2

• Sweeeeeet, SSD expansion slot is a nicely thought of feature to include!

• Better presentation slides for 13.3"

img995.jpg
    800 x 444 - 24K
    img996.jpg
    800 x 446 - 28K
    img997.jpg
    800 x 447 - 30K
    img998.jpg
    800 x 449 - 30K
  • LOL LOL at the advert video at the top! He says (in Chinese) "it is thinner than a coin", riiiiight by that logic it is also thinner than a sheet of paper! haha

13884495_10209191515197793_1174543114_n.jpg
    600 x 400 - 18K
    13866819_10209191515117791_1844491527_n.jpg
    600 x 337 - 20K
  • @Readbook

not interesting without normal cpu (i7 mq or hq)

You literally can not make such notebook properly with 4 core HQ processor due to necessary cooling, unless you want to be constantly present on turbojet takeoff event provided by cooler :-).

@eatstoomuchjam

Performance delta between i5 and i7 for most purposes is not substantial.

If you think a little you understand that this statement make little sense. i5 and i7 are for long time marketing terms if you get notebook chips. You can have low power 2 core i7 CPU, and at the same time you have powerful but hot HQ true 4 core chips.

• The 13" model has an i5. Performance delta between i5 and i7 for most purposes is not substantial.

• not interesting without normal cpu (i7 mq or hq)

• If it will be popular and drivers will be working, well it can be done.

• It can be good to make a hackintosh?

• Does this run Mac OS or Windows?

Edit: Appears to be Windows 10 Home OS by one review.