Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
    • 16-bit, 35.5 Megapixel CMOS 40.96mm x 21.60mm sensor (Diagonal: 46.31mm)
    • Full frame resolution – 8192 x 4320
    • 15 stops DR
    • Native ISO 800. Maximum ISO 12,800
    • Max Frame Rate – 60 fps at 8K Full Frame (8192 x 4320), 75 fps at 8K 2.4:1 (8192 x 3456)
    • Recording Codec – 8K RAW with simultaneous 4K proxy (ProRes or DNx)
    • Recording Media – SSD (up to 1 hour on a single magazine)
    • File Type – .r3d (supported in RED SDK)
    • Color Profile – Light Iron Color (compatible with all popular gamuts and transfer curves)
    • “Different colour science to RED Dragon”
    • Weight – 10 lbs / 4.5kg
    • 6 independent video outputs
    • Supports 6 independent 1D LUTs or up to 4 independent 3D LUTs
    • Directly motorize Primo 70 lenses through wireless control
    • Built in wirelesss timecode for genlock (Ambient Control Network)
    • Dual menus (Operator side, Assistant side)
    • Advanced airflow system for superior temperature management
    • Custom cheeseplate with integrated electronics
    • Modular and tooless quick changeover accessories
  • 28 Replies sorted by
  • I have understood that Panavision dont sell its cameras, only rent. Amazing as they have remained for decades being an object of desire of many filmmakers.

• @DrDave I agree and @matt_gh2 the G7 is cheap as it gets with a whole lot of value. I cant believe I dont have one yet.

• I hope they use this to film American Sniper II...

• @DrDave Lol. Yeah, G7 has actually been on my radar as the next affordable cam that I should be trying out. Curious to see what I can do with it.

• With this, Digital is finally capable of true 444 color at 4k

• "Just stick with GH2 - good nuf really." @matt_gh2 try the G7 :)

• And Panavision is not in the business of simply rebranding or doing something half-effort, anyways. They're really up there in regards to high quality built and technological expertise. I've started to go to the Panavision Woodland Hills, which is their main state-of-the-art facility where they make and repair their lenses and film cameras in-house.

They rarely introduce a new camera, so any new cameras branded as a Panavision would be state-of-the-art and ready for the big Hollywood productions.

• I wonder whether this is actually a camera manufactured by some other company and then "Panavision-branded". (Edit: The sensor is described as being sourced from Red.)[/q]

• Panavision DLX: 8k image sensor sized 40.96mm x 21.60mm
    • Arri Alexa 65: 6k image sensor sized 54.12 mm x 25.58 mm And yet, Panavision claims to provide higher dynamic range. Would really like to know whether they were able to source some magic new sensor or whether they are just overstating.

Attended Cinegear yesterday, and Panavision had of couple of the cameras in their booth (haven't seen a Panavision booth in over a decade). I asked one of the reps why they collaborated with Red on this camera, and he said that Panavision's newly acquired Light Iron division pushed the partnership (and helped design the camera's color science), because Light Iron was strongly Red oriented when it was an independent DIT/finishing house.

It's not just a "rebranded" Red camera -- they evidently put some effort into "Panavising" it and changing not just the ergonomics, but also the image.

The DLX is being field tested on shows right now, and it probably won't be available for "mere mortals" to rent until 2017.

• And yet, Panavision claims to provide higher dynamic range. Would really like to know whether they were able to source some magic new sensor or whether they are just overstating.

Best idea is to check how DR is defined for sensors, so all questions will drop.

• Don't worry, most the world will be watching your 8K movies as 720p CAMrips off the internet on 10 inch chrome books!

• Jack Nicholson: 8K!!??

oh, there will be extra make up artists needed to make agin actors look decent in 8k!

• Panavision does not sell its hardware. Only rentals.

Jack Nicholson: 8K!!?? Your Laptop can't handle 8K!!!

• Just stick with GH2 - good nuf really.

• red sensor...not for sale only rental

• Hmmm..:

• Panavision DLX: 8k image sensor sized 40.96mm x 21.60mm

• Arri Alexa 65: 6k image sensor sized 54.12 mm x 25.58 mm

And yet, Panavision claims to provide higher dynamic range. Would really like to know whether they were able to source some magic new sensor or whether they are just overstating.

• Any word on pricing? Panavision's rental division currently only lists other manufacturers hardware.

Also, I wonder whether this is actually a camera manufactured by some other company and then "Panavision-branded". (Edit: The sensor is described as being sourced from Red.)

• Yes completely agree. I don't care if I'm being unreasonable, I think they should just give me what I want

• @Sph1nxster

Can't believe this isn't the spec list for the GH5!!! I hate you panasonic and I will never buy another camera from you again because of this insult. I'm switching to Sony

How about BIG online petition stating that we won't accept anything less than such 8k raw camera?

• what's amazing is this beast is 8k....and 4 years ago pany released another beast, the varicam 4k, and now for $600 you can buy a consumer camera that shoots 4k , so extrapolating , I'd say in 4 years we will have consumer cameras shooting 8k ...and most likely the tech support to play with it...if the world lasts that long !

• PANAvision, no PANAsonic!!!