Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
360 VR for Most of Us: the Kodak 360 4K Kit
  • The GoPro 360 VR kit is $5,000. The workflow is incredibly complex, requiring synchronization and stitching of 6 separate videos (6 sd cards) and a very powerful computer. It is heavy and cumbersome.

It would appear that the best prosumer alternative is the Kodak 360 4K kit - two cameras shooting 4K. It is $899, and comes with an RF remote that starts and stops both cameras, free stitching software and the frame you need to shoot 360 with the two cameras. You set them to shoot at 2880x2880 (that is 4K if you do the math), and then the software synchs and rec-linearizes. It is small and light and can be set up in seconds.

Here is what a 360 video from the cameras looks like so you can see the quality:

Be sure to select 4K for viewing (regardless of what you are viewing on).

• 25 Replies sorted by
  • Note about http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/13669/kodak-pixpro-sp360-4k-action-camera/p1

Actually we had 4 topics including this about it, I deleted one old without much info and closed another.

• VR video is going to be big this year! I'm building a rig myself. Have ordered the cameras etc and wil be 3D printing the rig this week.

• Have ordered the cameras etc and wil be 3D printing the rig this week.

Remember to make big post about this stuff.

• What cameras did you go with @IronFilm?

• Wonder would the Nikon KeyMission 360 be even cheaper? Only $499 for the camera

• @ntsan Where do you see the price for the Nikon KeyMission? Availability is October at the earliest according to Nikon. I doubt it will cost $499.

• 360 VR Time lapse. Vimeo flat version:

Select 4K.

YouTube for VR (look up and around for clouds):

Select 4K.

• @markr041

Good stuff. I noticed that when people walked past the stitch seam, there is a dissolve/cutoff. I assume this is a limitation of the supplied stitching software. Have you looked into any way to fix this?

• @alcomposer went with Xiaomi Yi. I'd bought one already last year when thinking about this, now got a bunch more!

It is unarguably the best value approach to 360 VR video, and is pretty arguably the best overall approach even when taking best image quality into account vs a GoPro rig.

I'll be doing a VR video for TEDx Auckland next week. Fingers crossed I manage to pull this off!

• @ IronFilm I look forward to seeing the results. But I am very skeptical that non 4K cameras will do the trick, that you can accurately synch your bunch of cameras, and that you factored in the $1000 you need for stitching software. But let's see, and good luck.

• @Ralph_B synching frames when there are 30 per second is easier than when they are 2 seconds apart in the time lapse. I am investigating.

• Software cost remains the same no matter if you go with GoPro or Yi rig, so we can kinda ignore that factor for now.

And 1080 60fps is better than 4K 24fps for VR.

• @ IronFilm Well, the stitching software for the Kodak 360 4K (the topic of this thread) is free (and only works with their camera). That's a savings of $1,000. And it, and the GoPros, shoot 4K at 30p.

I agree that 60p is better for stitching, but I think that most everyone is put off by the resolution loss from the VR videos more than anything, so resolution from each camera should be the bigger concern. The GoPros (Black) shoot at 2.5K at 60p; that might be the best compromise when there is no genlock.

• @ Ralph_B Neat!

• Vimeo flat view (view in 4K):

YouTube for 360 VR experience (view in 4K):

• Beach!

Vimeo flat view ((view in 4K):

YouTube for 360 VR experience (view in 4K):

• @markr041 any news about Vimeo supporting 360VR correctly? Looks like overcast filming with Kodak360 is a no-go.

• @alcomposer I have not heard anything on Vimeo supporting 360 VR, but have put in a request. The cloudy day video is rather dull and slightly underexposed. All the videos I have posted have undergone no alterations - they are what the camera produces. The dull-day video could be improved by increasing contrast and exposure (maybe saturation) easily in post. Interestingly, however, many editing programs cannot produce an MP4, H264 AVC 3840x1920 resolution video (the 2:1 standard for 360) - they can only do 16:9, so 3840x2160.

• From a high urban butte.

Vimeo flat file:

Select 4K.

YouTube for 360 panorama viewing:

Select 4K.

• Is this one still the winner? I cant see any real competition in the category...

• It seems to still be the best. See also: http://360rumors.blogspot.com/2016/11/4k-360-video-camera-shootout-samsung.html And the new Kodak Orbit appears to be a step down - max frame rate in 4K is 24 fps. It is 30 fps on the Kodak 360 4K.

• For me bitrate is more interesting in new one then framerate. Im in 25p anyway.

In fact cant wait for this specs.

BTW New model topic here: http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/229976#Comment_229976