Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Olympus E-M1 Mk II topic
  • 289 Replies sorted by
  • The Fuji X-T2 costs 2,299 AUS at CameraPro. E-M1II price is 13% higher at $2599.

So we can guess:

US price: X-T2 price at Amazon.com is $1,599. E-M1II price could be around $1799

43rumors

• NZ : Olympus E-M1 mk2 body price is expected to be $NZ 2,500 with 1 NZD =1,75 US. Available mid November.

• img2729.jpg
    800 x 533 - 75K
  • Looks like a Velvia emulation.

• Fakey oversat photo ick.

• @DrDave

You don't actually need new Olympus review for them, always can visit Ken :-)

• 1st review jn Greece, shot by me. 4K samples from 3:30.

Kostas Boukouvalas is an Olympus user in dpgr.gr and avclub.gr forums. I don't think anyone else in the world has ever analysed e-m1 mark I so much as he did the past years. Actually he was the reason i bought one as a filmaker!

He has many 4/3 lenses, here he tests zuiko 150 f2 with TC. 4k shots are with the new 12-100 pro.

Enjoy :-)

• Thanks for sharing! So what do you think about the 4K video quality?

• Would have been nice to see base settings and straight out of camera without the curves, conforming and color conversion. That being said I did not see any in your face moire which was a issue with Olympus but I can only view 1080. Tracking had issues but to little footage to truly decide anything. Stabilization looked good but what version just mechanical or software as well. So in essence nothing to dismiss it but nothing to recommend it yet eager for more samples. If it performs in the end on par with G85 I want this camera as I do stills work as well if not Panasonic will still get my money.

• Would have been nice to see base settings and straight out of camera without the curves, conforming and color conversion.

What are base settings? You know number of color conversion before you see even out of camera footage, right? Youtube or Vimeo add more.

• Had very little time to test, Olympus guy waiting to go to the jouranlists... actually the white van blocking right lane of Akadimias avenue is mine... did not even have time to put manual exposure, could not find the setting, shot in "S" mode 1/50 without nd. I remember it was with sensor stabilization only so no crop. But mzuiko's 12-100 switch was to "on" in the lens so i think it worked with dual is (ibis + optical). It was shot in 102mbps, could not find setting for 200+mbps.

Anyway the file uploaded was only 20-24mbps so quality can't be judged from vimeo.

http://avclub.gr/forum/showthread.php/151370-Olympus-E-M1-Mark-II/page18

here are some jpegs from test uploaded by user kbouk (Kostas). Most shot in caf with various 4/3 lenses

just one note: the tracking and af speed you see in the lcd of camera is with zuiko 150 f2 + TC, i think it is amazing with such an old heavy tele lens.... Kostas said it was much much faster than mark I

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Just a preference on my part to see the standard settings that the Olympus engineers thought was best. I have to admit to only a basic understanding of the computer rgb to studio rgb and what exactly you tube or vimeo does in reference to that. For that matter what the camera recorded as those levels. On the Panasonic cameras we do have an ability to adjust what level limits the camera records so such a conversion would not be necessary correct? I assume he looked at levels and decided it was necessary.

@nicksoti Hope you did not take me being to critical just my comment on the video to help prime a discussion for the people who see the technical flaws of video more than I do : ) . Great to know that was just mechanical stabilization that bodes real well from what I see. I am rooting for this camera and Olympus but in the past when weighing the pros and cons always went Panasonic. This camera may very well change that.

• As i watch video again and particularly at 0:30, i remember i double checked there was no software stabilization. Did not change color profile so it must have been "Natural". I changed curves to +shadows - highlights, i think +2 -2. And 30p mode 102mbps. I remember no option for more bitrate. You can google what computer rgb to studio rgb levels option does in Sony Vegas. In practice, Sony vegas renders video with a tiny bit more contrast than source files, plus i think same happens a bit with youtube/vimeo conversion. This option slightly lifts shadows and i check it just before rendering so that final video is bit closer to what i see in my timeline. No color correction was made other than this.

I put the files in Davinci Resolve and i can say there is much more highlight recovery headroom than mark1's files. This is no surprise as mark1's 1080 files are just 24mbps, no room for much color grading, and resolution is not top for 1080. No big difference from a good 720p. So it is so nice we can have mark1's pros like 5axis, handling, natural colors, weather sealed body etc but with better files.

However, mark II's price will be higher and new Lumix G80/G85 seems more logical option IF stabilization is on par or even slightly worse.

Oh, i forgot. new battery is huge. At least twice the size of old one. Grip is deeper and whole camera is wider and taller than mark I. Articulated screen mechanism seems robust, more solid than Canon's 70D one i own. Mzuiko 12-100 f4 is smaller than i expected, about the size os the Zuiko 14-54 II as you can see in video. Zoom and focus rings are bit stiff. Never liked those mzuikos with metal feel for video work. My good old zuiko 14-54 is smooth and precise in comparison.

• @nicksoti I do stills work as well and the Olympus is superior IMO for stills. As I do product photography and have moved away from strobes the high rez mode is also unique and interesting to me. Which is why for me if the EM1 II does video on par with G85 I'm very interested.

• Japanese body price is $2250

• They must be out of their fckng minds if they think it will sell for that price... Now, I hope Panny won't get any stupid ideas from Oly and price the GH5 more reasonably.

• Well if that ends up being the US price I guess I'll have to pass. I don't see a $1350 advantage over the Lumix G85. Of course with the sticky stabilization issue being reported on g85 I won't be buying anything soon.

• Now, I hope Panny won't get any stupid ideas from Oly and price the GH5 more reasonably.

They will.

For all top models companies planning next margins increase and next decrease in sales.

Japanese companies want to more or less keep same number of workers and hope to compensate falling sales with rising margins on best models.

• Now, I hope Panny won't get any stupid ideas from Oly and price the GH5 more reasonably.

They will.

For all top models companies planning next margins increase and next decrease in sales.

Japanese companies want to more or less keep same number of workers and hope to compensate falling sales with rising margins on best models.

• img2806.jpg
    800 x 565 - 103K
  • Price is open and official now - $1999 for body

Preorders

So, first leaks were fully accurate. We also can conclude that GH5 price will be at $2499-$2799 ballpark.

This is chart of average price for FF bodies (new) now, 7 of them are cheaper:

• Today is also next NDA lift day