Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
One of the rarest videos you will ever see!
  • This is a 1 in a billion video. It shows a plane flying in front of the moon at 0:04. It was shot with the GH2 in 1080p @ 24 FPS mode with a 400mm Canon FD lens and two 2x stacked teleconverters for a combined 35mm equivalent focal length of 3200mm. I used the "No Adverse Affects" hack at 42 mb/sec.

It is nearly impossible to stage a shot like this because at this focal length any movement at all will cause the shot to be off. You can see the movement in the camera even though it was on a tripod.

I didn't even know that the plane had crossed in front of the moon until I watched the video.

• 37 Replies sorted by
  • Incredible shot. It doesn't look real. Great job.
  • @EOSHD

Thanks. I had no idea the plane had crossed in front of the moon until I watched the video on the camera. I was too busy trying to keep the camera still @ 3200mm. Please share this video if you get the chance.
  • nice sharpness still with the teleconverters. Which ones do you use?
  • Honestly, I am not even sure what brand the teleconverters are. The lens cost me $25 on ebay and the teleconverters were $5 each. I bought them all because they were cheap. I never dreamed they would work this well.

Ironically the m4/3s to FD adapter cost me more than the lens, a super nice leather case for everything, and the two teleconverters. Eventually I will just buy a nice telescope. However, for less than $100 I think this turned out fairly well.
  • @mpgxsvcd shared it on Twitter. How close to the cut was the plane crossing? :)
  • Thanks. Not sure what you mean by “Close to the cut”. The whole clip was about 45 seconds long and the plane appeared about 10-15 seconds before I ended the clip. At 3200mm the moon was flying past so I had to readjust it every couple of seconds. The video was bouncing because I had just finished resetting it and it was still settling down.

I was testing the I.dynamic range setting and the different black and white color modes so I went back and watched it. I was about to delete it because I felt the contrast was too low for what I was looking for. Then I saw the plane and I definitely hit “Protect” right away.
  • Ah I see, so the fade-transition a few seconds before the plane is to avoid the wobble? That is only thing I found distracting otherwise it was a stunning video. Loved it!!
  • @EOSHD

Yea I had to do the fade or it would just jump right into it going by. It would make you sick to watch the video anymore than about a half of a second before the plane went by because it was shaking so much.

If it would have been possible to stage this shot I definitely would have used the 720p @ 60 FPS mode with the ETC and I probably would have taken a TC off if not taken both of them off.

However, that is what is so cool about the video. It was purely by chance. I just happened to film the moon when a plane was in perfect position. I couldn’t repeat this shot even if I tried.

Oh yea, the sound is not actually from a plane. It was from a car going by. The plane must have been at cruising altitude(30,000-40,000 feet) or it would have been gigantic at 3200mm.
  • Have you tried filming Mars or Jupiter? Jupiter will be visible in the early evening this month in the northern hemisphere.
    I wonder how they would look with your magnification. I only get to an equivalent of 800mm with my teleconverters.
  • I was just getting ready to shoot Jupiter when I saw the moon shot and decided to post it right away. At this magnification it is hard to line up Jupiter so I find the moon first and then pan to Jupiter. The problem is that the weather turned this morning. Completely cloudy for the next few days now.
  • FYI - there is a fellow that has captured a number of unique alignments between celestial and terrestrial objects. I think his name is Thierry Legault. I see his work on the APOD (Astronomy Picture Of the Day) web site from time-to-time (apod.nasa.gov).

I had a similar fortuitous alignment about a year ago. I was a visitor at the Kennedy Space Center during the last early morning (before sun rise) launch of the space shuttle. The Vehicle Assembly Building was behind me as I stood near the "count down sign" with the Space Shuttle to the east poised to launch. Due to the alignment, I was able to watch as the International Space Station (ISS) pass over head (moving west to east in the sky) just before the space shuttle launched (T-9 minutes or something). As luck would have it, the ISS passed right in front of the moon. But the really cool part was that the same photo could capture both the shuttle on the pad and the ISS in orbit. A few moments later the shuttle lifted off and the chase was on. It was a beautiful launch into a cloudless, pre-dawn sky. I'll never forget it.
  • Lucky shot!! Nice
  • @v10tdi

Did you take any video of that. Sounds awesome.
  • Ironically, I shot this a few minutes after I watched the movie October Sky(The Rocket Boys) with my kids for the first time. We also just launched our first model rockets this weekend. Maybe the celestial gods were looking out for me?

I sure hope that my kids have a passion for space like I do. It would be a shame if we completely abandon our space program one day.
  • @mpgxsvcd

Not sure if it's your kids in those climbing vids, but if so maybe they can be the first to free climb on Mars. ;)
  • Yea that is my son in the climbing videos. Climbing on mars would be cool.
  • @mpgxsvcd
    I took a cell phone pic of the shuttle launching. :-) I thought about bringing my camera, etc., but I knew it would be a complex shoot - and I wanted to just enjoy the moment.

I live about 40 miles west of KSC, so I see (and hear) launches with some frequency from my house. My luck being what it is, every time I went out to the cape to watch a shuttle launch close up - it was scrubbed and I came home swearing I'd never do it again (the traffic going home really sucks). But I decided to try again for this "night" launch and got lucky...in fact, it was almost scrubbed due to some kind of issue down range. Issue was cleared up with about 30 seconds remaining in the hold window. Yikes!

I don't think the USA will completely abandon the space program, but I've heard we may scale back manned space flight programs - perhaps favoring unmanned programs. For my own part, I've never been a fan of the manned space flight program. I'd rather see those funds diverted (and even increased) to unmanned programs...probably more than 10x the science value at 1/10 the cost and far less risk for unmanned missions. Why send people? Let's just invest to push robotics and computer technology further.

BTW - if you'd like to see the ISS pass over during sun set or sun rise, there is a handy little java web program that will tell you when/where to look for your position on the globe. In the USA it uses your ZIP code to make it easy. You'll need clear weather and an unobstructed view of the sky. It's amazing to see it fly over...a big, bright star that's orbiting a few hundred miles away @ 17,000+ mph. Your kid/s will love it.

Here's the link:
    http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/realdata/sightings/SSapplications/Post/JavaSSOP/JavaSSOP.html
    Other satellites are available on the list (even unmanned ones), but ISS is a nice bright one. One time I saw both the shuttle and ISS pass over as the shuttle was "catching up" to ISS for docking. Amazing.

• @mpgxsvcd

My girl is 6 yo. She likes hanging on a chin bar and she can go across a monkey bar... pwning most boys in a playground. Any recommendation on how to start rock climbing for young kids? I'm also interested in rock climbing. Almost 40 yo... but never late for having fun.
  • @stonebat

Where do you live? Find the closest climbing gym and take her. The climbing community is a very close group. For the most part they are all very helpful and encourage new climbers.

Have her start on the easiest route in the gym. They will have something marked VB or V0 for bouldering and 5.5 or 5.6 for roped climbing. Just ask someone there to help spot her if bouldering and use an auto belay if you are not certified for belaying yet.

The biggest thing will be if she gets scared when climbing at higher heights. Usually if they can make it to the top without crying and asking to come down then climbing might be for them.

I took my daughter a few times and she always asked to come down after about 14 feet. Climbing just isn't for her. My son is a different story. It is pretty much all he wants to do. Luckily I have overcome my fear of heights and I climb with him all the time.

If you let me know where you live I can look up the gyms in your area.
  • @v10tdi

Thanks for the information. Lots of great stuff there.
  • @mpgxsvcd

Thanks a lot. I guess I gotta try it to find out whether my kids like it or not.
  • Very nice video..

I find telecrop mode fantastic for shooting the moon / planets. It makes it far easier to locate and focus.

I managed to get very nice shots of the moon in 720p50 with only a 200mm lens. Going to try adding a 2x to that when the weather allows me. Also got a shot of a planet, but it was too small to tell which one and I'm not an astronomer!
  • @stonebat

I am heading to Lynchburg Va, on Saturday for my son's climbing competition at the Rise Up gym there. Come on down if you want to get some footage of kids crushing really hard problems. It looks like you are closest to the Earth Treks gyms(Timonium I think). There are also the sport rock gyms there as well.

I have a lot of great friends that climb at Earth Treks. They are all awesome people. Take your daughter there and I am sure she will have a great time.
  • My daughter has her final soccer game for this season in this Sat. I will check out Earth Treks. Thanks man!!