Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Premiere Pro CC 2015 Mercury Playback GTX 980
  • I just built a new system. Here are my specs: I7 5820k (OC to 4.2) Asus X99 Extreme 4 16gb DDR4 Ram Geforce 980 2 WD 650 Black Drive (Raid 0) (Project Files) 2 WD 2 TB Drive 1 External 1TB ESATA (Video Previews)

I'm having trouble with 4K playback with GH4 files and Phantom 3 Pro 4K with Premiere Pro CC 2015. I can playback at full resolution and it will start to drop frames with Mercury Playback installed. DJI Phantom 3 Pro 4K files drops frames at full, 1/2 res, and 1/4 resolution around 5 seconds into the clip, it drops frames. Any settings I can change? I'm running Premiere CC 2015.

I installed the CUDA 7.5 dev. kit. And updated to GPU-z 0.8.5. CUDA is now enabled. I deleted all preview files and started fresh. Same thing. Software playback plays GH4 & DJI Phantom 3 files fine, no dropped frames. When I enable mercury playback engine, it stutters and drops frames. Any help with this?

12042797_751393520791_2698699487653002777_n.jpg
    521 x 564 - 49K
  • 17 Replies sorted by
  • Go to the nvidia control panel.. look for 3d settings.. then program or app settings.locate or add premiere, then choose to always use nvidia card

• I thought that setting in nvidia control panel is useful for laptops with built in GPU only. I have a desktop with similar setting, 5820K @4.0GHz, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Galax GTX980, Samsung EVO 850 - 256GB, 500GB(For projects) and I have no problem playing my LX100 and GP Hero 4 black 4K sequence in CC2015. Preview codec is set at only FHD so this maybe the reason. I will try it again tonight.

• I've looked under the 3D settings and I set it to always use the nvidia card. Same thing. When I enable mercury playback (cuda), the Phantom 3 .mp4 4k is choppy and drops frames. Same with GH4 .mov 4k. When I go back to software, it plays smooth as butter. I don't get what the problem is. Any help?

• @smoke23

This may sound crazy, but reduce the amount of RAM that Premiere uses. I recently troubleshooted this same problem. In preferences/Memory, set Ram available to Premiere to 5.4 GB. This won't eliminate the stuttering, but it will reduce it and make recovery from it quicker. The problem seems to be that during playback, Premiere doesn't release the memory after it plays a frame. Instead, it keeps gobbling up more and more RAM until it reaches the limit set in Preferences. You can see this if you turn on the task manager. When it reaches that ceiling, the stuttering starts as it desperately tries to release all that RAM. By clamping down on the amount of RAM allowed to Premiere, it makes recovery quicker and hence, less stuttering. You can experiment with taking it as low as 4GB. I haven't observed any adverse affects in other areas of the program. BTW, I'm using CS6. Don't know if this applies to CC, but give it a shot.

• @ smoke23

One other thought - Don't give Premiere H.264 MOV files, especially 4K ones. Quicktime H264 performance on Windows is terrible. You should be shooting MP4 with your GH4.

• @Ralph_B MOV is the only wrapper that supports TC on the GH4 and GH3. I have used 3 year old laptops with NVidia 635M cards and they play this 4k MOV 100Mb/s stuff just fine. Nvidia drivers can be picky, if the newest drivers are installed, try an older one.

• What OS are you running?

Just keep in mind that 32 GB RAM is the lowest PP requires. In terms of proper disc setup have a look here: http://ppbm7.com/index.php/tweakers-page/84-disk-setup/95-disk-setup

Also in order to utilize the full potential of the gtx 980 gpu, have look at Samsungs latest ssd pro series series.

• I'm not sure where your media files "live" in that disc structure you have.

Just general info ... media cache files & media database, previews, and project files have huge demands both read/write.

Media files are mostly read-only and export are mostly write-only, so those can at times be on "slower drives" though 4k needs a strong fast connection.

Preview files need SPEED ... especially for smooth playback. Internal SSD's for cache, for previews, and for projects are cool. Or ... if you've got M.2 mobo connections, a 1/2T or full T new high-speed SSD built for M.2 connections is amazing ... can hold several parts of the project and still give better functionality than multiple drives.

Neil

• I understand about the hard drives. However, why does software playback everything fine, I can scrub and play both GH4 & Phantom 3 Pro 4K files fine, no single dropped frame. However, as soon as I change to Mercury playbacks, I get dropped frames with playback?

• That could be several things ... an issue with the way the card & your mobo's resources are set (had a problem with that once, my builder finally figured out the mobo wanted to put both the video card and some other things on the same resource-set whatever) ... or that PrPro is having issues relating to your card.

However ... noting you say you just built this ... are you on Win10?

Some people are working well on that ... and some are simply not even able to function in it, had to roll back to 8 or 7. MS completely re-built the video section for 10, dropping many of the previous coding capabilities so it's a new beast. Good part of that is the code is now a ton lighter & faster for many. Bad part ... some parts on certain setups aren't working well especially concerning video & sound cards, internal/external devices such as the AJA/BlackMagic/Kona cards & boxes ... but they seem to do ok on someone else's setup.

So that could be the main issue. Strangely, a few people found their video cards were not being used, tried to roll back to an earlier driver for that card & it worked fine. Others have to be on the latest Win10 driver set.

If you're on Win7/8, well even if 10 ... it might be worthwhile to go to their online chat support and ask for the video queue people, as their "general" people don't really have the knowledge even though they may try & go through a list of questions.

Neil

• I'm on Windows 10. That does make sense. Any suggestions on a another firmware I could try? I'm using 355.98 right now.

• I am on Windows 10 as well, checked last night I had no problem playing 4K files of LX100 and GP Hero black.

• I've tried everything, this is stumping me. I forgot to add that my main Windows Drive is a Samsung 850 Pro 512gb hard drive. So, I transferred a MP4 Phantom 3 4k files to it and set my video preview to that drive as well. Same thing. It plays about 2 sec of DJI Phantom 3 4K and starts to drop frames with mercury playback enabled.

• I do know that a couple people on Win10 who were having issues (perhaps very much like this) had initially upgraded from 8 or 7. They decided to do a complete wipe of their OS / C drive, and did a complete format/fresh install of Win10, and say they are now operating fine. But I expect on the new build you installed Win10 "fresh"? So that probably doesn't help.

Trying a previous driver for the v-card is something you'd just have to test, and thankfully it's pretty quick to do.

Other than separating out the "parts" of the process as much as possible on different drives (media cache & media cache database, previews, project files, and media on separate drives if possible) and trying to work as best as possible in software-only is all I've got right now. Sadly ...

Neil

• Sorry ... deleted as I realized I'd posted in wrong topic, and have no clue how to delete a comment ...

• @rNeil, thank you for all your help. I'm going to try and remove the graphics card and then reinstall the original drives that came with it and report back. Could it be the PHantom 3 4K files are more compressed than the GH4 4K, and the GPU has trouble reading the frames?

• As it seems to be primarily the footage from this one cam, I think that's perhaps a reasonable assumption. You could test it ... if you've got ProRes or DNxHD codecs on your list available to export in PrPro, and something like MediaInfo freebie on your machine to check precise file encoding data, you could take say a minute run-time clip of the footage, export it to either ProRes or DNxHD in a similar or slightly higher bitrate, re-import that & see how it plays.

I do know one editor who transcodes ALL mov/mp4/H.264 type clips he works into DNxHD ... says even though the files are bigger so there's more read/write from/to disc, they go through the CPU so much better "they edit like butter". All client work, so when the projects are done he archives only the original clips, NOT the "intermediate" DNxHD ones he's made.

Neil