Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Panasonic GX8 camera official topic
  • 265 Replies sorted by
  • @driftwood, thanks. About the profiles, are good for grade? The GX7 its a little limited.

• @Manu4Vendetta Yep Live clean HDMI - see the video linked to the Shogun.

• Really like ISO 3200, got a feeling this is native ISO at the other end of 200/400. Normally on a GH4 this would be very noisy. It was pitch black outside apart from the mobile cam light.

Nice sensor (it feels like a MFT A7S !!!)

driftwood-dark-3200iso-gx8.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 665K
  • Cinelike D. :-)

screenshot GX8.png
    1280 x 720 - 696K
  • Really nice looking camera, but no video IBIS, no dice.

• Now that sounds like a nice camera that serves my desires for 2016...

Companies issue is that sales fall faster then they rise prices for new models to compensate :-)

Plus they cut people at fast rate making it hard to develop complex products, this is why we see so many Sony sensors. In a year or so we will see much more LSI sharing.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev "Next iterations will have 10 bit HEVC video and at 60fps. But companies need money now"

Now that sounds like a nice camera that serves my desires for 2016...

• Next iterations will have 10 bit HEVC video and at 60fps. But companies need money now.

• Maybe I am off base, but I don't think this camera offers more value than a 20MP Sony RX10 II, $999 RX100 IV or the $500 lower street price LX100 and G7, and priced way too close to a GH4...

http://reviews.gizmodo.com/sony-rx100-mark-iv-review-a-great-camera-for-a-ridicul-1717804368

I guess it's now a 4K crowded market, and there are tons of good options...

While I find this camera interesting, at it's heart, is it effectively a first beta pricepoint for what may come for the GH5 at around 2K later this year?

$1195 for GX8, $1499 for GH4 ... and $1999 for next GH5 with possible 4K at 60fps / 1080p at 120fps?

• Panasonic_Lumix_Gx8_review_21.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 470K
    Panasonic_Lumix_Gx8_review_11.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 609K
    Panasonic_Lumix_Gx8_review_18.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 495K
  • With Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 25mm f/1.4 ISO 12800 f/4.0 1/60

Panasonic_Lumix_Gx8_review_15.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 535K
  • Very expensive. I hope the GX8 have improvement for recording video, with the GX7 sometimes you see a color (and WB) in the screen and when you record is another. And the profiles for video with with cinematic intentions arent very balanced as the GH2.

• @sgreszcz I believe IBIS still works with the Olympus non-stabilized lenses, though not sure how many stabilization axis this amounts to. ETA - I see you were referring to video now.

• I wonder how bad the GX8 images are at ISO 25,600? And what the really clean max ISO is?

I am really hoping they use a 12MP s35 Sensor on the GH5 that is optimized for high ISO Video.

• By the way, does anyone know if this is a world camera (PAL/NTSC) like the GH4 (and unlike the G7)?

• @ MarcioK, it would be interesting if the 5-axis Hybrid fixes some of the jitter problems with their OIS lenses when shooting video. Sucks though that it doesn't work with any adapted or other micro4/3 lenses like Olympus.

• And with this, I guess that the GH5 will not have IBIS too.

• Other lenses = N.A.

Number 1 micro 4/3 bummer of 2015.

• Thanks @MarcioK - so effectively 2.5x in 35mm equivalent. That's moving in the wrong direction IMO. The GH5 will need to either oversample and downscale to 4K, or revert to a 12Mp sensor to get back to a 2x crop.

• @Tron Gordon Laing of Cameralabs (http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panasonic_Lumix_GX8/) calculed in aprox. 1,25x the crop, against 1,1x in the g7 and 1,2 in GH4 - it means the crop is slightly bigger than the GH4.

• IBIS in GX8, as in http://photobyrichard.com/reviewbyrichard/panasonic-lumix-gx8-review/

When Taking Photos with: Compatible Panasonic lens with image stabiliser = Lens I.S. + Body I.S. (Dual I.S.) Other micro four third lenses with image stabiliser function = Lens I.S. Other lenses = Body I.S.

When Taking Videos with: Compatible Panasonic lens with image stabiliser = Lens I.S. or 5 Axis Hybrid (when E-Stabilisation is turned on) Other micro four third lenses with image stabiliser function = Lens I.S. or 5 Axis Hybrid (when E-Stabilisation is turned on) Other lenses = N.A.

• I wish they'd include the 4K video crop in the specs.