Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH5 Panasonic camera, from anticipation to love or hate
  • 2083 Replies sorted by
  • " It also features ‘6K PHOTO’*2 which extracts approx.18-megapixel still images from ultra-high-quality video with approx. 9 times the pixel count of Full-HD. "

"*2 “6K PHOTO” is a high speed burst shooting function that cuts a still image out of a 4:3 or 3:2 video footage with approx.18-megapixel (Approx.6000 x 3000 effective pixel count) that 6K image manages. The name ‘6K PHOTO’ is tentative."

This to me indicates a multi aspect ratio sensor... It says that the 3:2 image has approx 6000 x 3000 pixels...

The numbers don't make total sense even if the GH5 has a multi aspect ratio 20++ MP sensor.

In 4:3 aspect 5184 x 3888. (20 MP)

In 1.45 aspect: 5650ish x 3888 (22 MP)

Making a 18 MP frame 5650ish x 3185ish but thats a 16:9 ratio...

• I have an odd question. If we wanted a GH4 that could shoot 10-bit, we'd have had to invest in a YAGH or an external recorder. And with the GH5, we get 10-bit internal, but not in 60fps mode.

So these external accessories might offer some really great potential. Any word on this potential?

• ah, I didn't see that in the Photokina topic

I remember the day a 512GB card was announced (exactly 2yrs ago!) and damn... I wanted one, but it cost nearly double what I paid for my BMPCC! (as it was, I ended up spending as much on hyperfast SD cards for the BMPCC as I did on buying the camera itself!)

• Perfect card to pair with your future 4K 60fps Panasonic GH5:

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/223759#Comment_223759

VK: Changed link to PV, as we already have this info.

• Our friend @driftwood is in the video, but I guess that he could not supply any more information. :)

Nick joined Panasonic. So, on the other side now :-)

Our PV team met him, but I do not see him on PV for long time.

• The Newshooter video that @MikeLinn posted is very intriguing - especially the information that even the GH5 prototype that looked complete is also a mockup. And the refuse of all of them to comment anything except the already published info (basically, video modes) made me think that Panasonic was surprised by the movements of their competitors and started almost from scratch. They refuse to say the sensor's resolution, the sensor's size, anything.

I guess that the image pipeline is ready, but IBIS, sensor, EVF and other things are in a change process, or already in evaluation. Remembered me the first Pentax K-1 mockup.

Our friend @driftwood is in the video, but I guess that he could not supply any more information. :)

• No stabilization would be a bit of a bummer, but I believe in Panasonic and them giving us the best camera they can for the money. Still am in love with my GH4.

A few years ago everyone complained that they purposely crippled the gh1, gh2, gh3. Then the Gh4 blew that argument sky high. I'm very excited for the Gh5. Ibis or no, it is a worthy upgrade just from what has been shared so far.

• @Readbook I believe I saw it confirmed that that vid was shot on GH4s. To my eye it's definitely software stabilization because of the motion blur.

• if video about gh5 shot on gh5, I think it have ibis. On some shota we can see leaps when camera movement around(witch looks no so good, may be it's preproduction bugs).

• It seems like GH5 lack stabilization due to heat.

• This Picture confirms that the GH5 will only enable 10bit 422 in 4K 24/25/30p. 60p will most likely be 8bit 422, or 420 but will see.

Screen Shot 2016-09-19 at 6.42.13 PM.png
    1920 x 1200 - 2M
  • @LongJohnSilver The body appears only slightly different, so it'll probably fit in most of the GH4 cages.

• The Specs on the GH5 sounds awesome, still waiting to see if it will have V-Log.. Also I believe that if will shoot 4K 60p 10bit 422.

• Is the body different form GH4?

• So no IBIS? :/

• So apparently the E-M1 MkII can do the full 20 Mp @ 60 fps in 12 bit Raw until the buffer fills (about 2 seconds). That's about 5 seconds of Raw slow mo. I wonder if we'll see something comparable on the GH5?

• Well, my main desires for the GH5 were, in descending order: 4K at 60fps, better low-light performance (less noise at higher ISOs), internal 10-bit recording, and improved Vlog. Two out of three ain't bad, and I'll presume that the low-noise and Vlog are in the pipeline. I'm really looking forward to getting this.

• Now 1080 dont exist.

Nothing aboutprofiles, if includes V-Log or cinematic profiles. I guess include 96 fps @ 1080 or superior if GH4 has it and the competence already has (A6300, A7S, A7RII, NX1), would be stupid from Panasonic dont offer an alternative.

• According to the Panasonic disclaimer the GH5 will not shoot 10 bit 4:2:2 @ 60 fps for 4k. It will only do it at 30 fps or slower.

I hope they include 1080p @ 120 or 240 fps.

• That flash situation is interesting. Maybe they'll throw in a small external flash/light combo?

Or perhaps its a move toward a higher durability rating... no little bits to snap and fly off during severe drop tests.

• I have noticed it looks like the inbuilt flash is missing... Intentional or simply the demo build?

It is clearly missing as two mike holes are on top, check photos:-)

• @tron +1

Would love to see a detailed breakdown of everything we know so far, didn't even see that XLR adaptor!! Very interesting, and a move in the right direction.

I have noticed it looks like the inbuilt flash is missing... Intentional or simply the demo build?

• Remaining questions that I have -

1. Which sensor
    2. Which codec
    3. Video crop
    4. Overcrank FPS
    5. IBIS

If there's no IBIS it could be due to multi-aspect sensor size or heat issues. Still, hard to imagine they would give up all the marketing jazz that comes with dual IS only to relegate it to the lower tier models.

Will definitely be picking up that XLR adapter.

• @IronFilm IMO, much better to have the tonal sensitivity and dynamic range that 10 bit recording affords. With an XL Speedbooster the total light gathering difference will be negligible anyway because you're funneling the same amount of light onto a smaller surface area but at a higher concentration (+1.5 stops). If FF sensors are theoretically 2 stops better, there's practically no loss of light in the end.