Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH2 ISO noise bug at 320, 640, and 1250
  • The GH2 ISO bug for 320 has been documented already: if you switch from ISO 250 to ISO 320, there's more noise than if you switch from ISO 400 to ISO 320. I have mapped the bug for ISO 640 and ISO 1250 as well. It seems that the bug is exhibited regardless of whether you record or not.

Switching to ISO 320: low noise from 400, 500, or sometimes 640; high noise from all others and from power off
    Switching to ISO 640: low noise from 800, 1000, or 1250; high noise from all others and from power off
    Switching to ISO 1250: low noise from 1600 or 2000; high noise from all others and from power off

I couldn't detect the bug when switching to any of the other ISO settings - if it's there, it's subtle. But for 320, 640, and 1250, it was unmistakable. Aside from the bug, I would say that none of the ISO levels seemed particularly more or less noisy than would be expected. I'd say to use whatever ISO level you need, being careful to avoid the bug.

Note that it is not sufficient to simply switch from any higher ISO to avoid the bug.

A good practice for ISO 320, 640, and 1250 would be to switch to the ISO setting 1/3 stop higher, and then back down. (i.e., 400 to 320, or 800 to 640, or 1600 to 1250).
  • 62 Replies sorted by
  • http://www.maik.de/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/graubalken.jpg

http://www.iris-digital.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/macbeth.jpg

More info and custom color charts for Neat Video: http://www.neatvideo.com/profiling.html

I use these to create noise profiles for Neat Video. Must admit that once done proper I can not distinguish 160 from 320 from 640. Anything higher will result in more visible noise you have to let trough, I usually use 1250 with good feeling in low light and up to 2500 with a little strange feeling in my stomach. (for anthing that must look clean at the end.)

In the end if you are not heading for the big screens at a certain point pixel peeping for noise does not pay of.

• oh, good point. What test do you like for best analysis? This seemed like a good option to me in that I always notice noise in the blacks and darker colors

• That test is not representative of real-world images. It only shows one input brightness level.

• @milada Thanks for the test. Is anyone else suddenly wanting to go with 640? On my screen that looks way cleaner than most of the lower ones.

• Is it possible to turn off 1/3 ISO increments?

@matt_gh2 I think it's subjective matter that multiples of 160 gives the best image quality, but we do know for sure that there is the noise bug. I'd stick to multiples of 200. Keep it simple.

• Wasn't there a bunch of people talking about how great 160, 320, and 640 are for getting best image quality on GH2 (assuming iso bug properly avoided)? Do you guys prefer the 200, 400, 800, 1600 for image quality or is it a choice to avoid the iso bug?

• @driftwood I've also found this to apply to me as well (especially on the GH3)

• Increasingly I find myself sticking to ISOs 200, 400, 800, 1600 for everything. The divisibles seem to work best for me.

• ETC mode is subject to a kind of electrical impulse noise when recording AVCHD video. It appears as intermittent horizontal streaks in certain brightness ranges, usually the darker ones. Here's a good example: vimeo.com/59801685 (sky at 00:08).

The strength of the noise and which brightness ranges the noise appears in depend on which ISO setting you have chosen. Testing has shown which ISO settings are best and worst with respect to this noise in ETC mode. A good setting is one with weaker noise that appears across a narrower range of brightness levels. When I say "320-from-160", I mean setting the ISO to 160 and then to 320.

• 160: bad. 200, 250, and 320-from-160: increasingly worse.

• 320-from-400: good. 400, 500, and 640-from-320: increasingly worse.

• 640-from-800: ok. 800, 1000, and 1250-from-640: increasingly worse.

• 1250-from-1600: ok. Higher ISOs are increasingly worse.

So the bottom line is that 320-from-400 is the best setting. ISO 400 is the next best: use 400 if don't trust yourself to avoid the ISO noise bug each time. Avoid 160, 200, and 250.

It would appear that 160, 320-from-400, 640-from-800, and 1250-from-1600 are base ISO settings that put the sensor in a particular configuration. Higher ISOs use the same sensor configuration as the base ISO below it, and just increase the gain. Higher ISOs show the same impulse noise as their bases, but at a proportionally higher output brightness levels.

The impulse noise is closest to black in the base ISOs, and can be somewhat reduced by pushing down levels in post.

The noise does not happen in MJPEG mode or when the camera is not recording. It seems that the noise is being generated internally.

• so theres no issues with iso 160 i had seen a guy that said he did an interview at 160 and his had alot of noise. I also hear that if you go over fstop 8 that it introduceses noise

• I read about the bug issue awhile back and i taught it was only on high iso's coming from a canon its strange to hear a iso problem on low isos

• It's not a great video. He only tests black, with the cap on. That doesn't reflect real-world images, unless you shoot all-black videos.

• Agree, great video! Really good to see the differences. Now that I am aware of this, filming and photographing should be better. A bit strange that the GH2 does this, but now that the problem has been identified, we are all the better for it.

• you don't need to turn your cam off; just dial iso from the middle row first, i.e. before going to 640 choose 800 first etc.

• Please let me understand if I need always turn camera off at higher ISO, then turn on, go down on ISO value? Or just little play with ISO value up and down will make same result?

• Hello Everyone :-)

I'm frustrated :-(

Is Panasonic going to fix this?

When is the next firmware update going to be released?

Do any of the hacks have lower noise than latest Panasonic firmware?

Thanks!

• @YOSS: Base ISO is 160, I'm pretty sure. If I can get enough light, I always try to keep it at 160 if possible. I know that some people in the past sometimes preferred higher ISOs even in good light because the extra noise helped break up sky banding, etc. But with the latest settings from Driftwood, banding is much less of an issue, so there's really no downside to 160.

• The GH2 is my new toy. Love it!

I hardly tried to find info about the base ISO of the camera. Couldn't find it.

So, anyone knows what's the base ISO of the GH2? -base iso usually will give the best rendition in terms of latitude-

• A new finding from @cosimo_bullo: sometimes going from 640 to 320, you'll have the ISO bug also.

So that reinforces the rule we'd decided on: for 320, 640, and 1250, switch to the setting 1/3 stop higher, and then back down.

• Great point No Surrender, with fast glass and proper lighting, you can avoid most of your ISO hassles before they even become an issue.

• Even a Red or Alexa is normally rated as 800 ASA. Many are considering a Red rather like 320 under Tungsten, because all silicon is weak in blue. So, I think a max of 320 is very realistic for the GH2, and for HDTV rez under controlled lighting it is quite competitive then with the hack. You have to be much more careful with lighting and exposure, though. A high-end camera is not that much better, but much more forgiving (well, the Red has far more resolution and the Alexa far more DR). I'd only go higher with the GH2 if I have NO possibility to add light and I'd prepare for heavy post processing then. Excellent article, proaudio4, BTW, I second Neatvideo.

• Keep in mind traditional video cameras have an ISO/ASA of 320 and like Driftwood said look at some HDV stuff and compare your 320 ISO to that. IT'S WAY BETTER..fact...I cant even use the Canon XH_A1 at my work without cringing nowadays.Just keep your ISO lower than 400. If you need to catch Bigfoot running down the street or something jump up to 800 but in a theatrical production...with lighting...other than "for effect"....I don't see much need to go over 250 ISO most of time, using fast enough glass of course.

*Lighting better and smarter is the easiest way to fix your NR woes....