Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
PIX-E 4K recorder from Sound Devices
  • 59 Replies sorted by
  • I tend to trust Blackmagic with faithful image representation more than Sound Devices, but I've never used a Sound Devices product that wasn't a sound mixer. They build their mixers like tanks though, so it's hard to say. All else being equal, these record 4K, whereas the Blackmagic Video Assist of course records only 1080p.

If I were buying a monitor / recorder today, I'd probably still buy an Atomos Shogun, at student pricing of $1500. I love the Atomos interface and ease of use, plus the lemo break-out cables are a huge asset.

• The question is, how do these compare with the BlackMagic 5" HD monitor also just released.

• Wow at that price it is pretty tempting!

• PIX-E5H (5", 1920x1080, HDMI only) $1,195

PIX-E5 (5", 1920x1080, HDMI +SDI) $1,395

PIX-E7 (7", 1920x1200, HDMI +SDI) $1,595

• Sound Devices makes excellent hardware. I bet these won't be even remotely 'cheap' but they'll be worth it. At 5" I'd buy one, although I'm still hoping for a screen-less recording device like a 4K Ninja Star as I already have good-enough field monitoring and EVF devices. I'm less interested in audio as I rarely record on-board except for sync and don't want an extra cable or wireless gizmo hanging off my gimbal, but it would be nice for the shoulder-rig to handle a G3 setup or something similar for a lav + boom/shotgun/handset.

• Even if it does require an extra device for sound, I would be willing to bet that SoundDevices will have the upper hand quality-wise when it comes to audio. In that department, they really do know what they're doing.

• The Shogun has XLR audio inputs via a dongle. It appears the PIX requires a separate device to deliver XLR inputs that adds both cost and weight to the package. If Atomos launches a more compact 5" display version with the same features as the current Shogun, I'd probably go that route (especially if it clocks in a little cheaper).

• I'm really interested in the E5H also. Hopefully NAB brings good news for the cost.

• Very optimistic/hopeful the PIX-E5H will beat the Atomos Shogun in all areas: smaller / better build quality / cheaper.

As at the moment the Shogun is the best option for the A7s, but I still don't think it is a particularly good one. There is surely better yet to come to match to the A7s!