Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Panasonic Varicam 35

Specs:
    -S35MM 4096 X 2160 Advanced MOS Imager
    -14+ Stops of Latitude
    -Variable Frame Rate — 1 to 120 fps in 4K(VRAW)
    -Records simultaneous 4K/ 2K/Proxy, or UHD/HD/Proxy + Raw to Codex (option)
    -Apple ProRes 4:4:4:4 and ProRes HQ Built-in
    -AVC-Intra Codecs -- Class 100 / Class 200 / Class 4:4:4
    -2-piece Modular Design (docks to AU-VREC1G recording module)
    -Dual-Native ISOs

Retails at, $55,000

Brochure: ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/provideo/varicam_35/varicam-35_brochure.pdf
    Manual: ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/provideo/varicam_35/varicam-35_oi.pdf

Video Series on the camera:
    Part 1, Overview:

Part 2, Hands On:

Part 3, VRaw:

Part4, Workflow:

Part 5, Wireless CDL:

Part 6, Dual ISO Demonstration:

Part 7, Theo Van De Sande Review:

Part 8, QA &Acknowledgements:

• 4 Replies sorted by
  • Feel free to close this topic or even delete.

• Oops,. will move to that topic, I swear I searched ;)

• Emmanuel Pampuri got his hands on this camera and posted some interesting footage. He shot at the new codec, AVCUltra 4:2:2. He posted a Pro-Res 4:2:2 HQ version of the footage (that originated from AVCUltra) that we can download and play with. I included the link below, to download the footage.

I downloaded this footage, and toyed around with it, I must say this camera has a really nice image. Like they mention in the videos, they have managed to turn their noise into grain. This camera doesn't have noise, it has grain. I agree with this with one caveat, that being the AVCUltra. They boast in video #4 that AVCUltra is a fraction of the size of ProRes blahblahblah. To do this there is always a sacrifice, and they are lying if they say it doesn't. In playing with emmanuel's footage I found that when I used advanced coloring techniques it introduced a lot of saturation noise (not grain, sorry varicam) in the darks and lower mids. Clearly a codec issue.... Fortunately the camera offers ProRes recording as well. I am curious to see how they stack up in some tests, if my suspicions are correct the PR will not have this issue.

Due to what I suspect is a codec issue with the AVCUltra codec, I am very anxious to see what the quality is on the V-Raw.

Dual ISO looks pretty incredible! Can't believe no one has tried it before, I love it when an idea is so simple in nature, but no one has thought of it yet. I may be mistaken, maybe it has been thought of and Pan. are the first ones to pull it off, but as far as I know its the first time it has been thought of.

The color science is Vari nice ;) did you see what I did there? I am liking V-Log, and would love to see it available on my GH4, would make the GH4 the perfect companion camera (for drone work, or a throwaway cam for stunts etc.) These two would make a killer duo on a feature.

This is a very long winded review, based of a very small test. Would love to get my hands on some V-Raw, and some ProRes from this camera winkwink panasonic. Or better yet a loaner to test out! I may have to wait til it hits the rental houses... certainly don't have $55,000 just lying around.

https://mega.co.nz/#!nEQURDAB!ZUtXe0brdDPVyY64AmBW5_0kttpGaEA91HRF5DZ5qVU

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions