Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
"Cheap" Leica R lenses
  • 37 Replies sorted by
  • Minolta? The 2.0, that's why I sold my 2.8.

• @nomad no, sorry, I meant 24/2.8 or 28/2.0, because these two are the good ones, aren't they? I want one of them to be my "Normal F" length...

• Well, I have both.

The 24 is tack sharp, one of the sharpest lenses from the whole Minolta line. It's a design shared with Leica.

The 28 is a tad softer, but sometimes I need the extra stop.

• which "set" of leica's do you preffer? i might switch to leica.

at the moment i own a contax zeiss set 28, 50, 85, 135 all 2.8 except the 50mm

• What's wrong with those?

I switched from older Leica (M) lenses to Contax Zeiss and love them, currently I own the 28mm 2.8, the 50mm 1.4 and the 85mm 1.4. Wonderful glass! Still trying to chase down a 35mm 1.4, but they are difficult.

I got rid of the Leicas because M (rangefinder) lenses are too small for cine accessories and the widest ones have difficulties with electronic sensors (short flange distance). Leica-R is the cure for this, but I could never afford a similar set of Leica-R instead of the Contax glass. Well, maybe prices are different over here, but the same set of Leica-R would have cost me about twice as much, people started to hunt them down when RED One became popular. C/Y Zeiss lenses are still considerably cheaper.

The Zeiss' offer great micro-contrast (aka 3D pop) and most nevertheless have a pleasing bokeh. Plus, I think they breathe a bit less than their Leica counterparts. Build quality is perfect with both brands, for sure. If there is anything to differentiate them image wise, I'd say Zeiss images are a bit more "into your face" while Leica (and the Minolta counterparts) are a tad creamier. But you'd be hard pressed to see such minor differences in cinematography with 1920 x 1080…

• @nomad are you meaning the 50mm 1.4 and 85mm 1.4 Zeiss Planar?

• Yes. Contax C/Y version.

• Out of curiosity, I'd like to ask you guys if Leica R Leitz Telyt-R 250mm f4 mounted on µFT, other than very very heavy, is still good by today standards?

I've read somewhere that was manufactured for the navy use and thus optimised for working at faraway (4,5m min focus distance?)... with almost 1 and 1/2Kg it's a torpedo all right. Also what is difference between the first and second gen, other than the non rotating tripod collar and weight? Any thoughts comrades?

• Never used that one, why should I run around with such weight? It's so rare you need that length on MFT.

There is an excellent Minolta 200mm 4.0 – much cheaper, lighter and very good. There's a test here, commentary is in German, but you can still see the pics and names: http://artaphot.ch/sony-nex/altglas/328-nex-5n-und-200mm-teleobjektive

Scroll down a lot, the modern version is the only one you'll want. The last prime before the zooms is the one I recommend.

• why should I run around with such weight? It's so rare you need that length on MFT.

@nomad yeah it almost seems foolish... truth is, as soon as I wake up I like to exercise trying to handheld focus my neighbours shower soap with heaviest possible 500mm :P
    Now seriously, someone wants to sell a Telyt-R (never heard of it before) for 250€, so I got curious and curiosity it's mostly an irrational thing. Luckily you guys rock!! I'll check that Minolta, big thanks for feedback ,-)

• You can find that Rokkor for around 50 U$…