Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
  • 192 Replies sorted by
  • @brian202020 Thanks for the tips on the gini lens gears. I mentioned earlier I only have m42 mount lenses and the SLR magic 35mm. Unfortunately, as far as I've read, a follow focus won't work with the M42 mount lenses because they have smaller/fine teeth and are very short in size.

I might pick up just one for the SLR magic lens though.

• Hey Guys! I am thinking about buying a Gini Extreme 17! Looks quite good! But Ive got one question: Which Baseplate you would prefer now? I can choose between 3 or 4...This "Apple-Baseplate" looked very nice, but you cant buy it anymore, dont know why?! First I wanted to get the "BP-7 Baseplate with Rails" - but than I cant change the height of the plate, so I maybe would get some Problems in adjustment...

My Plan was to build everything up with Manfroto-quick-realeases for the tripod etc...what do you think? Should I just get the Advanced QR Baseplate?

• Can you provide a link to what you are talking about? Previously Gini has had so many incarnations I don't even know where to look anymore.

• Ah sorry ;) okay: I wanted to buy this: http://www.ginirigs-usa.com/75-advanced-extreme-17-follow-focus-weight.html

But I think about buying from amazon.com

And here are the baseplates: http://www.ginirigs-usa.com/21-baseplates

• Hmm. I would try to get the "Magic Baseplate". There you can still mount a Manfrotto 577 baseplate on top (which is compatible to Manfrotto 501PL plates - IF you´re using that system). It´s also height adjustable AND it´s using double rod clamps - So it´s in general more stable than the other (smaller) baseplates. Just keep in mind, that you need enough space BEHIND the baseplate to slide in the 501PL Plate (and the camera). Clip on systems are easier to use (like the system used on the "Advanced QR Baseplate") - Because you don´t need that much space to use it / clamp on the camera to the baseplate.

Lg

• Hmm, Thanks Tscheckoff. Didn´t think about the magic...But it seems to be a very good idea! Jeah, than I can use the Manfrotto 577 etc...well, I think thats it!

• @ravensith

I ordered the advanced extreme 17 back in August. It's really well built for the price. I can tell you right now, it seems like the REAL gini is definitely found at ginirigs-usa.com and this is the same venue selling on Amazon.com

I opted to go the route of the magic baseplate for the same reasons that @tscheckoff mentioned. This has allowed me much more wiggle room when changing plates and configurations.

Suggestion....If you don't absolutely need the rig right this moment, wait a month or two and follow the Facebook/mailing list. Ginirigs-usa regularly does 10-20 percent off deals....

• Thanks for ur help guys. Iam waiting for a off deal ;) But maybe I need the rig in a few weeks, than I have to buy. Thanks!

• Well. Don´t wait TOO long then - As the shipping time sometimes is quite long (not only with Gini - Also with other sellers). Because: It´s never sure that they have everything on stock you need / want - And then you have to wait longer. Believe me - It´s annoying to get something not in time ... ^^

• Jeah, I hear you Tscheckoff ;) Thanks for the advice. I still have another rig here at home...so its okay ;) Wanna sell it, but maybe I wait until I have the gini rig...

• Is there any Voucher for gini rigs which works now? I found some but all seem to be expired...Hope there is coming something soon ;)

• @ravensith I coudn't find any vouchers, but Gini Rigs announced via their Facebook page this afternoon that they are in the process of relaunching the website with a bunch of new gear at ginirigs.net

However, you can still order at the ginirigs-usa.com site in the mean time.

• Hello Gini experts!

I'm strongly considering buying this Gini Extreme 17 DIY kit from the Gini outlet store on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/GiniRig-DSLR-RIG-EXTREME-17-DIY-KIT-/251587579433

I have a special deal (just a one-off) where I can get it for about $300 shipped. I've been trying to understand this config vs the typical Extreme 17 I see on ginirigs.net but so far it has defeated me.

In particular the baseplate and and magic baseplate vs the other baseplate options, which shoulder pad this one is and if it's any good, and the apparent lack of a counterweight.

Would you folks weigh in and educate me? Is this a deal I should go for? I'm going to put a GH4 on it and want something more stable than a single-handle rig. And for the price this seems rather amazing.

• @Joesh

There isn't much of a difference between this and the advanced extreme 17. The baseplate shown was not included when I ordered my rig.

2 important things to know right off the bat here. The Ifocus is rather large and can be difficult to use on smaller camera/lens setups. I would highly recommend you get the I focus mini for use with MFT cameras.

The other thing to keep in mind. You should really get the counterweight. I'd say the rig is damn near worthless without it. Your shoulder will be killing you in under an hour without.

As for the shoulder pad, it looks like the leather version I upgraded to, but I can't be sure as they all look similar.

Ideally you would like to get the magic baseplate option because you can mount a cheese plate or quick release plate adapter in top. Just know that the magic baseplate contains a fixed video pin (it isn't spring loaded)

Hope that helps

• Thanks! I do intend to use the rig with a weight. I'd just have to supply my own - perhaps a DIY version. Your iFocus info is very helpful and really makes me think I'll pass on this deal. I asked if I could switch baseplates but so far no response - which isn't a very good sign support wise!

Can you opine on how good a price this is or what alternative you might suggest for $300 delivered?

• @joesh

Gini rigs are very good for their price. Especially for not so big weight rigs.

• @joesh

The $300 delivered rig is quite the deal. However, a quality counterweight from gini or another outlet will run you another $80 plus shipping. Really, you're looking at $400 which is still a decent deal. The counterweights you can get (that clamp onto the rods) are invaluable. I'd highly recommend biting the bullet on one.

The magic baseplate is the one you would want. As I had mentioned, you can mount your own quick release adapter on top, a cheeseplate, or your camera. The other plate options limit your ability for mounting options.

The choice is ultimately yours, but know this:

I bought my rig when Gini was running a 20% deal with free shipping. You can find these deals often enough on their twitter or facebook page. In ordering directly from their site, you'll also be able to customize your order any way you choose. I had a very decent customer service experience.

I opted to pay extra for a heavier counterweight, better shoulder pad, and a lens gear. Total shipped with the increased price was something like $600 shipped. Without the extra goodies it would have been $400 shipped.

@vitaliy_kiselev I agree. I've used rigs from Lanparte, Redrock Micro, and Zacuto. I'd say gini stands up quite well in terms of overall quality. Not to mention the savings =)