Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH4 RAW files Magenta/pink highlight recovery. LOSING MY MIND!
  • I am running into major problems with the GH4 RAW files in every single raw processing program I have tried. Every one is giving me Pink highlights no matter if they are over or under exposed. I am ready to rip out my hair after trying EVERYTHING.

Can someone please shed some light on what is going on because If I edit the photos using hte In-cam editor there are no pink highlights.

Lightroom 6,

Photoshop CC,

Capture one

• 55 Replies sorted by
  • Anybody notice that GH4 RAW images, come into Adobe RAW with a default +17 Magenta tint? I've just shot a bunch of timelapses and I've noticed this. Fixable, but just wondering whats going on as nothing in the camera has any tint adjustment.

• Thanks for that caveport. Assumed it was still broke. v 6 works I see.

• @driftwood Silkypix does work in Mac OSX Mavericks. That's how I did my testing. It really is the simplest solution.

• Its a common prob. Highlights or fringing.

Nikon D600 Raw files could result in pink highlights (http://www.hdrsoft.com/download/beta/pmp50x.php)

Adobe Premier: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1500841

ML Raw: http://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11119

FS700 forum experienced the exact same problem with drastic color shifts using Adobe products

• @balazer

I actually have a LOT of photos that were shot in iso 100 on paid work that I need a fix for @driftwood 's workaround is great! I haven't shot on iso 100 since we established there was a problem with the extended iso.

Then there is the problem with the jpegs having the highlight problem IN camera which is a separate problem all together. But clearly there is an issue with the way the GH4 handles highlight clipping. I'm curious to hear what Panasonic has to say when you get in touch with them driftwood!

In the mean time thanks for the workaround tip, it worked great for the ones I need to fix. Before you gave me the advice I had used the dng converter and converted to dng but the highlights stayed with the file, the tifff doesn't have that issue.

• @balazer and so does 'save to tif' - chill dude. Plus Silky Pix doesn't work on Mavericks.

• Silkypix works fine on the raw images he's already shot.

• @balazer speculation is fine but he needs to rescue what he's shot.

• Holy crap. @tylerknight, you think that's a better workaround than just shooting raw at ISO 200?

• @driftwood

You are the man. Thanks for taking the time to dig into this in detail and figure out a workaround for the time being. I appreciate you passing it on to Panasonic and seeing what they say. The pink highlights are on the Jpegs IN camera so this is pre-software (for the jpegs at least)

• To me this looks like the RAW file interpretation of the GH4 by the software. Ive seen this in ML hack with RAW footage DNG from a Canon 5DMKIII and dealt with solutions either in DaVinci or PP (it was a problem with the way colour matrices were written in exif). Basically my solution turned down the green hue/luminance/saturation. Its not an elegant solution.

But after a little testing here's a crude GH4 RW2 fix:

Simply download and run Adobe DNG Converter to convert the RW2 file/or folder of RW2s to the DNG format. Then open the DNG/s to photoshop etc. Also notice its advisable to download and install the latest Camera RAW profile from the Adobe site: 8.1 to the newest - 8.6 should work :-)

Then export to different formats e.g .tiff (should be same size as DNG) and see if the highlights expose down to non magenta thereafter ... viola - pink highlights gone?

Here's an example of your test file. And a save as tif (same size and bits) converted to jpg for display here (info check will tell you metadata hasn't changed).

As to how much of the highlights are clipped at ISO100 (and others @ jpg level) I'll be asking that question to Pany to see what they are doing about things.

Mac: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/thankyou.jsp?ftpID=5824&fileID=5839

PC: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5825

Test-Result-using-Adobe-DNG-Converter.jpg
    2461 x 1272 - 253K
    P1200485-after-TIFF-save-then-jpg.jpg
    4608 x 3072 - 1M
    info test.jpg
    1940 x 1006 - 524K
  • I have no idea.

• @balazer

So there is clearly an issue with iso 100, but then what about the issues with JPEG mode having clippping pink highlights in iso 1600, 3200, 1000 etc

• I noticed a couple of things comparing ISO 100 raw to ISO 200 raw.

First, the ISO 100 image is actually brighter than the ISO 200 image in the areas that aren't clipped. Either the camera is doing something screwy or the lighting changed between shots.

Second, the highlight range doesn't increase. It actually decreases. Look at the corner of the window where there is a transition between bright and clipping. The ISO 200 image has areas of graduated brightness that are clipped in the ISO 100 image.

ISO 100 is clipping to a lower level while not actually lowering the levels. That's not at all what you want when you lower the ISO setting and it means there's basically no reason to use ISO 100 when shooting raw on this camera.

• @balazer OK, for anyone who knows what to do with the information:

Same scene, all in manual, ISO 200 & 100, all other settings identical. The Sample taken is a 34x34 pixel sample in a clean area of the overexposed highlight. There is something different with the ISO 100 image but I do not have the knowledge to interpret the results here. Any assistance very welcome.

One interesting thing is that on both settings the green channels are overexposed but the red & blue channels are not. As the issue is a magenta cast in highlights, I would think that incorrect green channel processing may be the issue here.

Also shot raw & jpg pairs in the camera. Both jpg images look fine & show no issue.

GH4 ISO 200 Main.png
    1544 x 1298 - 2M
    GH4 ISO 200 Hist.png
    1054 x 1336 - 131K
    GH4 ISO 200 Sample.png
    1107 x 359 - 65K
    GH4 ISO 100 Main.png
    1544 x 1298 - 2M
    GH4 ISO 100 Hist.png
    1054 x 1336 - 128K
    GH4 ISO 100 Sample.png
    1107 x 359 - 67K
  • Shoot the same thing in raw at ISO 100 and ISO 200, something with clipped highlights. Use the same exposure settings for both images (same shutter speed, same aperture setting). Then compare the raw images in Rawdigger.

• @caveport

Try to make same only for affected region, if possible. It seems like two channels clip and one not (red) - hence such color.

• I don't know how to interpret the Rawdigger information. Here's what the file shows. Anyone got skill in this area?

Main screen.jpg
    1544 x 1298 - 427K
    Samples.jpg
    1060 x 627 - 59K
    Histogram.jpg
    1054 x 1336 - 241K
  • Perfect! Thanks Vitaliy. I'll load some files in and see what's going on and post the results.

• I am not saavy enough to dig any deeper, I just made the problem known.

Generally it is the tool for you to show and isolate the issue. As such thing most probable happen due to some channel clipping or some weird behavior in one of the channels (R, G or B).

• What should I do with the program once it shows the details?

It is not a raw issue as we have established. It is something faulty with the camera itself and the way it is clipping highlights as Caveport suggested. What is the best way to have panasonic become aware of this issue and look into it? I am not saavy enough to dig any deeper, I just made the problem known.

• @tylerknight

Cool, now get the tool and check that you see in raw.

@caveport

Usually it is not the conversion that is at fault (as it happens with outside conversion also).

• Well it looks like it's not just the extended ISO modes after my testing yesterday. In JPEG mode it is doing it on iso 2000, 1600, 3200 and everything in between. RAW mode just iso 100.

• Since ISO settings are really gain adjustments, it makes me wonder if the GH4 is clipping channels when in extended ISO mode. Some further testing required.

• @caveport exactly, the pink highlights are on the screen when previewing them. This is pre-software.