Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Samsung NX1, $1300 4K flagman
  • 1157 Replies sorted by
  • These look much better

They can be better, but Samsung noise reduction clearly eats out natural grain. It was common for most their cameras I saw.

• Yes, most of the jpg samples look a bit smooth.

Is there any anouncement or test about the dynamyc range of the sensor?

• Unfortunately @Vitaliy_Kiselev is right, they don't have a natural gran structure and the NR eats detail for breakfast. This is why they should have finished the camera firmware before letting people test it, and present some relevant samples. Those look awful :(.

• This is why they should have finished the camera firmware before letting people test it,

Samsung had issues with processing in all their cameras I checked. I think they do not care much.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev if they what people to buy their camera, especially a "PRO" branded one, they should care a lot image processing! :)

• if they what people to buy their camera, especially a "PRO" branded one, they should care a lot image processing! :)

I suggest to google for stories about Samsung software development departments and their bosses.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev unfortunately I totally agree with you about Samsung cameras in the past, I just hoped they got in their senses and finally made a good camera. :(

• 1:1 uuuffffffffffffffff

• Oh Dear these jpegs are truly Terrible they look like a Photoshop Filter has been applied. I would love to see a RAW image too see what the NX1 can produce without any processing I have to say looking at these images have turned me off the NX1

• That's truly a horrible photo. Bad light, bad white balance, patchy blown highlights, bad smearing. It should be in a textbook on things to avoid, especially the lighting.

• Good! It is not bad.

• Samsung NX 1 impresions: http://www.verybiglobo.com/phtokina-2014-samsung-nx1-first-impression/

Samsung blinded all card slots, asking not to save images because the firmware is not finalized yet. It seems however that they forgot about WiFi connectivity and some visitors took the opportunity and transfered files via direct link to their smart-phones. LOL

I still hope for a miracle in image quality department in the final firmware...who knows? LOL

• I still hope for a miracle in image quality department in the final firmware...who knows? LOL

Usually it is more like this:

Min and all your team! You being transferred to development of new Tizen based functions for our smart refrigerator. You'll be replaced by former car audio team.

• @ Vitaliy_Kiselev I don't know how to mark your above comment but you are the best!

• @maxr Maybe the picture is compressed: for 28Mp, Samsung says that the max filesize is: 28MB (6480×4320) JPEG (3:2). 9.76 MB is approx. 1/3 of the nominal filesize...

• About low-light capabilities, I searched some specs about the pixel size, but could only find details about pixel pitch:

-Samsung NX1: 3.6µm

-Panasonic GH4: 3.7µm

-Sony A6000: 3.9µm

-Sony A7s (FF): 8.4µm

Samsung claims that "Applying BSI pixels, Samsung’s newest imager improves the light sensitivity of each pixel and increases light absorption in peripheral areas by approximately 30 percent".

DXOMark labs reviewed the Sony RX100 (non BSI sensor) vs the RX100II (BSI sensor) ans said that :"BSI sensor in the Mk II reveals the low-light capabilities are enhanced by +1/3 stop."

So, I think that the low light capabilities of the NX1 may be only marginally better than the GH4.

• you're analytic and synthetically right @tymeorama, accounting for that I shall also compress my comment to just an ufff

• @maxr I'm only hoping that the NX1 will produce better images than the ones we can see... An other point to investigate is that when looking the EXIF of the sample, it seems that the quality of the stills was set to "Fine", whereas the NX1 can save pictures in Normal, Fine & Super fine modes.

I have looked many other available samples and they were set to "Normal", but I didn't find "Super fine" samples.

But I agree that for now, the NX1 is quite bad in high ISO...

• @tymeorama for the moment NX 1 is quite bad in general, not only high ISO. :(

Samsung put so much effort in advertising this camera, that money where better spent on a good software team.

• @Eno, ok, I was dreaming of an APS-C successor for my GH2, it seems that it will not be the NX1.

I will still wait for the official release and see if a miracle happens :D

• @tymeorama me too and I'm a GH4 user. If NX 1 is a disappointment than GH4 will serve us well until something better appears.

• Samsung Electronics will widely incorporate its Tizen OS in its smart home-use electronics and LCD TVs in 2015, in an attempt to boost the penetration of Tizen using its leading global market status, and to set up a platform for developing the Internet of Things, according to Taiwan-based supply chain makers.

As usually I am always ahead :-)

• Since Tizen will be used in refrigerators, I guess these will not have problems dealing with heat dissipation when recording 4k :)

• uncompressed 8bit 4:2:0 4K external HDMI output....???

10404506_844957975522603_307027092506596726_n.jpg
    500 x 291 - 23K