Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Samsung NX1, $1300 4K flagman
  • 1157 Replies sorted by
  • Samsung is not abandoning the NX line!!!!At the NY Photo Plus Show last week Samsung was alive and well promoting the heck out of their photo products. Reps at the booth just laughed when I asked about the demise of the NX1. Not true they said. To paraphrase Mark Twain: Reports of the NX1's demise have been greatly exaggerated!

• I was hoping the NX1 was doing well, it is really a shame to see this system getting abandoned already by Samsung.

It is doing well in some online circles.

But real world need retail presence, advertisement, pushing, etc. Samsung has super power to push cameras, due to management that can not communicate we have that we have.

• Read the article closely. Samsung is not exiting the camera business. They are suspending the development of new products for one year while they formulate a new stategy. Here's the quote from Google translation:

Samsung Electronics, a senior official said, "It is worrying many facts related to the digital camera business," said "first year, you will have time to refine the strategy, rather than new products."

• I was hoping the NX1 was doing well, it is really a shame to see this system getting abandoned already by Samsung.

I bought one a half a year ago, because it has better picture quality than the GH4, and i was hoping for continu fw updates and more lenses for this system.

Sorry to say so, but this is shit!

• @Leto

Why crap?

In worse case you could buy NX1, NX500 and lenses for amazing price soon :-)

• @brianl

No one knows.

As I said early here - Korean management is known for amazing swings.

• Would Samsung give up so early on NX1? Hard to believe an operation that size would be so fickle.

• Another series of Samsung shutting everything bad thing

http://view.asiae.co.kr/news/view.htm?idxno=2015102210592974740

• with Rokinon 12mm f2.0:

DIS provides the stabilizing.

• NX1 + 50-200mm NX lens for sports?

• "Withdrawing from the camera business is not true and there is no official plan to stop production of cameras and lenses. Samsung continuously analyzes the varying needs and requirements of consumers in each market and region very carefully. However, we do not officially comment on rumors or speculation."

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2015/09/23/rumor-busted-samsung-is-not-exiting-the-camera-business-at-least-not-the-on

• Hey guys getting off topic here.

Hehe! Sorry VK I couldn't resist.

• "This TV have 10-bit Log?"

No, but it is how management see the future of Samsung.

I heard that they plan to release connected gramophones soon.

• "This TV have 10-bit Log?"

• Now we know where all camera department was moved in smart strategic decision

• @Mckinise

The Cine 4k mode is a crop and upsampling of the UHD mode, it is not a true DCI 4k mode with greater resolution. Stick with UHD.

I'm not sure if it was determined if the GH4 Cine 4k mode worked the same way or actually gave a true DCI representation.

The NX1's 1080p, 120 fps setting is definitely sharper than the GH4's 96 fps, leading many to speculate that the GH4 slo-mo footage isn't really 1080p.

• I have a chance to pick up one of these for a very nice price. Is it true that the UHD is of higher quality than the DCI 4k? Also, how does the DCI 4k in this camera compare to the DCI 4k in the GH4?

• The problem is still the H265 files on top of the difficulties many of today's computers have playing 4K due to their size and the computing power required.

New cheapest Atom x5 plays HEVC from NX1 with very small CPU load, same is true for latest Core chips.

• The problem is still the H265 files on top of the difficulties many of today's computers have playing 4K due to their size and the computing power required. What they should have done is an upgrade with H264 file settings a long time ago. I am sure that would have helped sales a lot. I love mine and right know I am using it for my stills work mainly with the occasional video test to help me understand the best settings and workflow for future use.