Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH2 and 430EX...Rear-curtain sync possible?
  • As the title says, is it possible to even do the specific 'Rear-Curtain Sync' flash mode with the GH2 and a Canon 430EX flashgun?

All I can see in the menu is 'Slow-sync' flash mode and that's only available in Aperture Mode, and I do everything in Manual.

Am I missing something here? cause it is a really big shame that the GH2 is not able to do such flash mode :(

• 10 Replies sorted by
  • Yup, it's possible! On the GH2, switch to a stills mode and go into the REC MODE menu. There should be a FLASH SYNCHRO item. Switch it from 1st curtain to 2nd curtain.

• @jpw21683

Hi there, sorry for the late reply!

You are right, there is this option and I have tried it myself!

HOWEVER...this does NOT work with my Canon 430EX flashgun. With the GH2 built-in flash, it has a pre-flash at the start and then the full-flash in the end which is exactly how a Rear-curtain sync flash mode works, but with my (or probably any) flashgun it only fires one flash, hence not making proper use of this synchronization.

Am I once again missing something here? :(

• Hello?

Anyone at all may I ask??

• Hello?

Anyone at all may I ask??

Isnt it at all possible to get the flashgun to pre-flash and full-flash with the GH2? It doesn't seem to do so! :(

• Usually for all modes to work you need compatible flash.
    Normal non-native flash will fire one time only (as usually preflash is used to determinate exposure). Usually you just use it in manual mode. But I rarely use flash on m43.

• Hmmm, as far as I'm aware, there isn't a Panasonic branded flashgun like the 430EX, are you to say that my one isn't compatible for this to work? What one will perhaps?

And I do everything in Manual, I like to take the time to set my exposures :D

• It depends on that you want. If you want all features - you need native or compatible flash, as I said. Check Panasonic site about flashes.

• Well all I want is for my 430EX to work with the GH2's 'Rear-Curtain Sync' flash mode which is known as 'FLASH SYNCHRO: 2nd curtain'.

It works/flashes twice with its built-in pop-up flash but not with the 430EX, even though that is also set to Slow Shutter Sync.

Isn't it at all possible? :(

• Thing is, by idea it must not flash twice, as I understand. Changing mode just changes time the flash fires relative to shutter movement.

• 'Rear-Curtain Sync' flash mode is made to flash twice on a slow-sync shutter (a long exposure), you can try it with a GH2's pop-up flash, this is suppose to be replicated with an external flash.