Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Transcoding and release thoughts for huge bitrate avchd
  • 36 Replies sorted by
  • @stonebat I'm trying it now that thing has enough settings to make my head spin lol..
  • I'm using Premiere Pro CS5, but exporting via Frameserver to MeGui for x264 encoding. So far I'm happier with the results from this workflow vs the built-in Premiere encoders. Have not tried the Mainconcept Plugin which you can purchase.
  • @LPowell Got a quick question about (MainConcept H.264) when your are creating a new project in Premiere Pro CS5 it ask you if you wanna use Mainconcept 5.1 or Mercury Engine for render & playback. From your experience which one is better to use?
  • @TrackZillas
    If you have a fast workstation, the Mainconcept renderer may be just as fast as the Mercury Engine. If not, go with Mercury.
  • @LPowell Thank you soo much Powell appreciate it, I'm trying to render a short clip with mainconcept and it's taking forever let me just add that I'm running on a windows vista system :( should be upgrading tomorrow to win7..
  • Mainconcept.
  • @LPowell i also do color grading in After effects then export in H.264 20Mbps(target bitrate) - 40Mbps (maximum Bitrate). Then i edit in Premier Pro and export again in H.264 20Mbps(target bitrate) - 40Mbps (maximum Bitrate) from Premier Pro.Is that good to have best quality in Vimeo or should i do it differently with higher bitrate exporting or maybe lower if that won't make a difference?

I read you were talking about mainconcept but that works only on PC and i have a Mac so do you have any suggestions of plugins to improve the quality or should i just continu like i'm already doing?

Thanks in advance
  • @Swiss_Boy I puzzled over Vimeo exports a while before giving up and just enabling download of the original. In terms of streaming reliability, most of the time I'd rather watch YouTube 720p than Vimeo 1080p.

• If you desire for some reason, you COULD play the footage out of the camcorder into MXO2 using the HDMI cable, and then you would be capturing to the Matrox MPEG-2 I-Frame HD codec with 4:2:2 color. I have found this to give better results when doing green screen chroma keying, since the GH2 uses 4:2:0 color. Capturing as Matrox 4:2:2 does provide cleaner key edges.

• @bubba

That's interesting... why wouldn't you do it during recording? Say a redundancy situation where you're still shooting to the card, and at the same time recording to 4:2:2 specifically for VFX/Keying work? Is there an issue with that?

I should test with a 4:2:2 external recorder just for this type of production. Would be another reason not to break 4K/5K out for extremely low budget situations... although if it's just green screen then it may be unnecessarily crippling.

• @kholi "why wouldn't you do it during recording? Say a redundancy situation where you're still shooting to the card, and at the same time recording to 4:2:2 specifically for VFX/Keying work? Is there an issue with that?"

Boy, is there!