Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Dynamic Range / Latitude
  • Do the different patches increase dynamic range of the GH2? If so - has it already been measured how many more stops a patch can do by comparison with the unhacked GH2?
  • 61 Replies sorted by
  • I read the entire manual as well as googled the topic. I did find a directshow plagin that allows me to open the files but it does not seem accessible from the batch wizard. If you know something we don't, please share it, but your rude comments are also amusing so that would be fine as well.
  • @Jspatz yes, it is called RTFM. :)
  • Does anyone have a workflow for batching mts through virtual dub with neat?
    Thanks
  • Ian,
    Again, valuable information!
  • @starstuff / @proaudio4 Unfortunately I only have the 32bit version of Debug Frameserver.

BUT.....the good news for you is there is a way to make it work on 64bit OS/64bit Sony Vegas. Here is a link I've found where someone did just that. It's called "Using DMFS on Windows7 64bit (with Sony Vegas Pro 10 64bit)"

There is a step by step instruction on how to go about that:

http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/332602-%5BGuide%5D-Using-DMFS-on-Windows7-64bit-%28with-Sony-Vegas-Pro-10-64bit%29

@Starstuff on your question #2 you should click on:

"Video" -- Choose "Color Depth" -- and in the Video Color Depth window click on the "4:2:2 YCbCr (UYVY)" radio button which is under the "Output format to compressor/display" column. Also....keep the "Decompression format" column set to Autoselect and you should be good.
  • nic2011,
    I hear you regarding time.
    My issue is I'm a freak about image quality. LOL! Actually, we all are... that's why were here!

I guess, it's down to really how much are we are willing to give up for time. If you have a client that want's it quick, of course I'd take whatever is needed to get there, but when I have the time, I'll fire it up over night.

I'll have to buy the upgrade for Neat Video. I'm using Windows 7 x64 i7 920 12GB with Sony Vegas.
    It's like watching old people fuck >It's slow as hell when rendering with Neat video and other post work, even with GPU.
  • Ian_T,
    I have the same questions starstuff has above.
    thanks, Steve
  • @Ian_T

Yes, thanks for describing your workflow!

>>At this point I just set the color depth (to what I mentioned before) and compression and just render the new lossless file.

The render here will take a long time. A five minute clip can take up to an hour to render on a 32 bit machine. So yeah...it can take half a day to do an hour long movie. But it's a necessary step and well worth it....>>

But frankly, this workflow would make me fidgety. I like to work very fast and concentrated. And so far native editing in PP CS5 works fine for me and gives me pretty decent results. Maybe your results are a tad better... I don´t know. A side-by-side comparison could probably show it...
  • @Ian_T

Thank you for that detailed workflow!

But a few questions:
    1) Are you using the 32-bit VirtualDub? Because the 64-bit version won't let me use the Frameserver :(
    It looks like there is no 64-bit of it but I just figured I'd ask anyways.

2) > and transcode it into a 4:2:2 YbCr (UYVY) file using Lagarith Lossless codec
    I have no option to transcode to 4:2:2 YbCr/UYVY when using that codec? Are there any other settings I'm missing in VirtualDub? *scratches head*
  • I've noticed more noise coming somitimes without clear reason, on parts of an images. not only shadows when shooting in Smooth mode. Standard seem to have less noise of all.
    What is everyone experience?
  • i7 4 cores, 8 threads - apologies! ;-)
  • @driftwood
    "I use it on FCP - 8 core Hackintosh, its not so bad!"

Out of curiousity, how many frames per second does it render (with temporal smoothing turned on)?
    Also, are these 8 real cores or a quad core with hyper-threading? And what's the speed of the processor?
  • I think its 49USD for an existing user
  • Thanks driftwood. I'm upgrading.
  • @proaudio4 yeah there is a discounted price for existing licence holders. havent checked out how much yet.
  • Ian_T
    Thank you for your detailed post process!

I'm willing to bet your cleaned up high quality (VK!) GH2 clips look great!
    We can now model noise a lot easier.

Also, I think I've seen lifetimes pass by rendering stacked color grading>Neat Video within Vegas. LOL! .... actually, it's NO laughing matter.

Ralph_B, Neat Video 3 has caught my attention, especially if it's 2X. Do you know if there's a discount for existing Neat Video owners?
  • They just released new version (Neat Video 3) it has GPU acceleration and also optimized code, so it is apparently 2x as fast even without GPU.
  • I use it on FCP - 8 core Hackintosh, its not so bad! :-)
  • Neat Video also renders faster in VirtualDub than it does in Premiere and After Effects. (don't know about Vegas). Apparently these "bigger" apps add more overhead to the rendering process.
  • @nic2011 I have not done a huge project with that workflow but it shouldn't be too bad. I don't think you'll have a "same day" turnover with this method when it comes to large projects but if you give yourself at least a couple of days (or slightly more) then depending on how well you CC you can have a large project done over the weekend.

For example....when I suggested lining up all of my clips .....that's already one step of editing. What I mean is...all of my scenes are in order and exactly where I want them on the timeline. If your PC can work with AVCHD (or these modified versions of it) then you either trim them or line them up where they need to be. That to me is the hardest part.

Then I just highlight all the clips, right click and "disable resample." From there I frameserve over to VD by selecting "File/Render As" and choosing "Debug Frameserver." You basically spend almost no time in VD because all you do there is choose "Neat Video" and configure the noise profile. Set it to the absolute minimum which is:

Click configure -- Choose "Auto Profile" - Click on "Noise Filter Settings" -- check the "Very low freq" radio button -- Under "Noise Reduction Amounts" slide the "Luminance channel" slider to 0% and leave the "Chrominance channels" at 100% -- and click "Apply." In the Neat Video Configuration box make sure the threshold is at 0% (I find you don't need any more than this" -- I keep the "Radius" at either 1 or 3 frames -- and leave the "Adaptive Filtration" unchecked -- Hit "Ok" and your almost finished -- At this point I just set the color depth (to what I mentioned before) and compression and just render the new lossless file.

The render here will take a long time. A five minute clip can take up to an hour to render on a 32 bit machine. So yeah...it can take half a day to do an hour long movie. But it's a necessary step and well worth it. I used to do what @Driftwood suggested and make the "noise clean up" the last process... but that kind of defeats the purpose of wanting to push your colors during the edit process. Besides..whether up front or after the fact...the render will still take the same amount of time. Also, if you chose to clean up afterwards that forces you to work with AVCHD on the timeline....and we all know, with AVCHD, when you add even just one plugin on the timeline....everything starts to slow down considerably (I'm still on a 32 bit PC by the way so YMMV).

@proaudio4 "I'm willing to bet one good reason you frameserve out to use Neat video is that Sony Vegas and Neat Video don't really "get along"."

Exactly!! I have Neat Video for Vegas also and I found it does not work quite as well (or maybe I should say "Quite the same"). I have no idea why. But the plus with Virtual Dub is that you have two different views (an "Input Video Pane" and an "Output Video Pane"). I love the fact that I can see the original video while watching the processed video in realtime (well...not exactly realtime....but you get the point) because I can see exactly what's going on with the clip and make any necessary quick changes. Helps me to determine if I have too much or too little. I can't afford to run through an entire looooonngggg denoise process only to come back and say..."Oops...I have to redo it over." I'd want to choke someone at that point. :-)
  • @cbrandin So when can we expect new ptools with film modes tweaking? Any chance of focus peaking?
  • Probably better off doing Neat Video to near end of the process - when you know what you want in your edit.
  • @Ian_T

>>I'm on a PC using Sony Vegas. I line up all of my clips and frameserve out of Vegas into Virtual Dub (using Debug Frameserver), clean it there with Neat Video and transcode it into a 4:2:2 YbCr (UYVY) file using Lagarith Lossless codec. I take that finished file back into Vegas and color correct. >>

No doubt, that´s a good way to hold a good quality through the whole process. But for huge projects it´s too time consuming and inconvenient imo...
  • Is that really feasible with a lot of footage? It must take days to render!
  • Ian_T you are the man!

I'm willing to bet one good reason you frameserve out to use Neat video is that Sony Vegas and Neat Video don't really "get along". As you know Neat incorporated a workaround with the "No Lag" check box.

Damn, I overlooked frameserving to Virtual Dub and using Neat Video there.

thanks