Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Dynamic Range / Latitude
  • 61 Replies sorted by
  • @PerryWilson can explain how is possible for cinestyle to increase the DR by 3 stops?

• Are the new film modes hacks on gh1/gh2 in the works result in something to having like cinestyle look on 7d or 5d?
  • @proaudio4 I too am a 7D, 5D, RED shooter, as a matter of fact my sundance film this year was shot all on 7D's... the cinestyle is at least 3 stops better than the GH2 even hacked and in nostalgic -2,-2,0,-2

@brian202020 yeah you are correct then... the 7D blows in standard picture style
  • I have not used cinestyle yet, I got rid of my 7D before it came out. I was more referring to the stock camera.
  • I'd let driftwood answer this since he owns a 5DMKII and 7D
  • the latitude of the GH2 even with driftwoods newest GOP1 doesnt get anywhere near a canon in cinestyle
  • not in cinestyle picture profile... as a colorist the cinestyle profile is god in the DSLR world... as close to an s-log as it gets infcat it IS a LogC profile
  • If I'm not mistaken the 7D has even less latitude than the unhacked GH2.
  • I would die for a S-Log... the only thing I miss about my 7D is the latitude for post coloring
  • I know Chris is looking into film modes. Maybe in his research he'll find a way to load custom color profiles. A flat s-log like profile could extend the latitude a little.
  • Only indirectly: you can pull up the dark areas more with the higher bitrates without getting annoying macro-block noise. But i'd say you won't gain more than one stop, maybe. After all, it's still 8 depth bits you record.