Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH4 4K Panasonic video camera, User reviews and opinions
  • 1273 Replies sorted by
  • Exploring the bokeh and the ability of the OIS of the Leica Nocticron lens on the GH4. Shot handheld at dusk with an .8 ND filter:

• Shot this real estate video last week with the GH4. CinelikeV all 0's 4K UHD 30P Panasonic 14-42 on all of the shots now that I think about it! ( Hate this lens but it does quite well)

Opening shot was done laying on the hood of my car and stabilized in PP CC. Still some jitters but did better than it would've in 1080.

Did some light colour correction to match shots but other than that everything looked great out of camera

• That Cheyenne clip looked awesome!

• In museums light is the enemy of artifacts, so they are dark. Perfect for a fast f1.2 lens. Handheld to test the OIS. Close-ups to test the bokeh and focus.

Dinosaurs, dioramas, lizards, lectures, gemstones, mummies, and even a ghost. Plus a trip to the museum store.

Shutter-priority at 1/60th.

• Cine D - all seto to 0

• In this video I try to make sense of Luminance.

• @markr041

In museums ...... fast f1.2 lens. Handheld to test the OIS. Close-ups to test the bokeh and focus.

Nice video.

I see again some unstability and vibration also in your 1.2 lens OIS behaviour. I have same issue with my GH4 and 14-140mm mk2 lens. Old 14-42mm is more stable. I am still wondering if my lens is broken or is it just the charasteristics of POWER OIS.

Are you happy with POWER OIS lenses. My experience is that old MEGA OIS lenses vibrates less when trying to shoot steady video (without moving camera shooting handheld).

Here is my tests:

https://vimeo.com/user23310531/videos

• @Vesku
    https://vimeo.com/user23310531/videos

That's ugly...especially the vibration test. I'll need to do my own tests, but from your videos it seems to me that the behavior of Power OIS isn't a very favorable optical image stabilization for movies.

• @MikeLinn

Having done some power-drifting ... that's quite the exhibition. Wow. Doing that in pairs of cars that close is going to result in the occasional bit of metal-mangling exhibition ... no way about it. Bet the tire-maker loves this kind of race-car demos! Now, that rubber smoke can be almost an oily substance, I've had that on a lens. Wasn't easy to clean.

• Another low-light, handheld challenge with the Leica Nocticron Lens: Grand Central Terminal.

• Im really enjoying this camera shot in cine d graded with impulz lutz pro

Has anyone had the opportunity to mess with zeiss glass and the nikon metabones adapter

• @gian

Great looking shots! Can I ask what LUT you used within impulz and your workflow? I purchased it yet but I am new at grading. I do basic colour correction but am unsure of the proper way to treat clips individually to ensure they all look the same after using a lut.

• Go Gators! Crush the Vols!

• @tylerknight

Thanks man!

I just record in 4k and down scale to 1080 on a 1080 time line and work on that nothing to fancy. As far as impulz i mainly used kodak color elite. I tend to just eye it out on what looks best (probably something that changes for each video and what looks more appropriate of course ) and just stick to that setting.

Im no colorist either . So definitely new it to myself if you stick to that one lut and just mess around with contrast/brightness on clips that need to look similar i think you should be fine. Again I'm no expert so its definitely a learning curve but so far its worked for me

• Here is a recent dance video I did with my friends, I used 12-35mm and 42.5mm 1.2, shot in cinema 4K and edited in 1080P, the 96fps is definitely more epic than 50fps lol

• The white guy made me feel so goddamn uncomfortable....

• Tyler, that's interesting. How bad would you say the motion was on your camera? I have yet to play with 4K like that.

@MikeLinn: My takeaway was the a7s is superior if money isn't a problem, and you need to shoot in low-light conditions. I own the GH4, so I have encountered the ISO's glass ceiling around the 1600 as well.

• I'm sorry @xen what were you referring to?