Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Red Scarlet Dragon $14,500
  • Scarlet Dragon.

$14,500. Orders open tomorrow. This time it is ready... Starts to ship when we catch up a bit on existing upgrades... likely June.

• 6K FF: 12 FPS
    • 5K FF: 30 FPS
    • 4K FF & HD: 48 FPS
    • 3K FF & HD: 64 FPS
    • 2K FF&HD: 96 FPS

The Scarlet-X upgrades have been announced for a while for $9500, but this is the official release price of the new camera with 2014 ship date.

This is the minimal configuration of the camera body as far as we can tell, which is typically incomplete to shoot with.

• 2 Replies sorted by
  • I think this camera should be considered it's own thing at it's own pricepoint competing against the used original Epic and Scarlet-X and some photo cameras like the Canon 1D-C

though this is the B cam to the new Red Epic Dragon (or your A cam depending on necessary framerates or Global shutter requirements), and while they may have similar names the cameras do not appeal to the same pricepoint customer

while there is the limitation in framerates, it's appeal is to a larger percentage of users and some photographers at 6K 12fps as the Red Dragon sensor was the first camera to break the 100-point DxOMark sensor score barrier. Shooting at full sensor versus cropped results in much sharper picture from my experience with even the Scarlet-X, almost like night and day...

To me, what will be interesting is how well this camera shootouts at 5K 24fps against the Red Epic and even the Red Dragon, as many have choices to upgrade their Scarlet-X to this camera or instead trade-in for an Epic (both at additional cost, of course).

BOTTOM LINE: IF the Red Scarlet Dragon looks identical to the Red Epic Dragon at 5K 24fps, you may have one of the best bargains in cinema history to date... only the real-world shootouts will tell

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions