Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Idea of repeatable focus for GH2/GH3/GH4/etc while using focus-by-wire lenses
  • The thing I would most want in the world from my gear at the moment is repeatable focus moves for my GH3 and it's nice Panny zoom lenses.

As you may or may not know, Panasonic makes some nice lenses for the Micro Four Thirds system. If you are using a M43 camera like the GH3 and you have use for fancy features like small form factors, good optical image stabilization, and excellent clarity there's a good chance you would want to make use of one or more of the these Panasonic branded Leica infused pieces of glass. One issue with them though: are you a videographer or AC doing precise focus? You are S-O-L. No follow focus for you. No repeatable focus. These lenses use the velocity of your barrel movements in it's algorithm for changing the focus in camera so no two moves are the same. The one and only workaround I have found on the net involves using the distance meter from the camera video output as the basis for tape/stickers: http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/3344/repeatable-focus-moves-with-focus-by-wire-lenses/p1

With the GH2/GH3 being such useful video cameras, and the GH4 looking like it will be a video freaking monster wouldn't it be GREAT if you could get repeatable focus from the focus-by-wire lenses which make up so much of the M43 system?

I understand that the lens focus is controlled electronically but why couldn't there be a 'repeatable focus' mode where the hardware, to a reasonable range of precision, supported the use of a follow focus and focus marks with consistent moves.

If I were a wealthy individual I'd love to put a software engineer or two on the case and see what could be done. What I have seen done that seems interesting is kickstarter projects crowdsourcing a particular software feature or program. Is it possible there are enough people who want what I want and are willing to throw a few dollars at it? I'd gladly throw some cash into making the lenses I already own more versatile.

Is anyone out there a software engineer with some experience with these systems who would, if the budget was there, be willing to look into solving this issue with focus-by-wire lenses? Are there any other Panasonic camera/lens folk out there who would be willing to throw some money at the promise of repeatable focus for that sweet 12-35mm or even the upcoming Nocticron 42.5mm?

• 6 Replies sorted by
  • It is not new idea. Just can require good hardware research, modification of lens firmware (if possible at all) and modification of camera firmware (if possible at all).

• The idea of a kickstarter campaign to fund this feature is not new?

My main question here is kinda a 'show of hands'. If there was a crowdfunding campaign who would be willing to contribute?

• The idea of a kickstarter campaign to fund this feature is not new?

Idea of the thing itself is not new :-) Also funding won't help much here, most probably it'll hurt instead.

• I hate to be blunt, but I'm facing this same issue ... and I'll probably be investing in mechanically-focused lenses, like the SLR Magics, or start using Nikon glass with a Speed Booster, with a follow-focus device.

• @Brian_Siano

If you ask me, solution must look like potentiometer that feed signal to camera via NFC or Wi-Fi. It is much more useful than mechanical FF. It is firmware thing, and Panasonic can do it. But it is not so easy and require many people to tell them this.

• I'm not even sure if this is solely a lens firmware issue as Olympus M4/3 lenses also have variable focus on Panasonic bodies. Do Olympus bodies also have this "feature"?

Also, while software developers may be wizards, they don't make miracles. Even if the issue could be resolved by updating lens firmware, anyone who isn't Panasonic or Olympus would need to decode the existing firmware before they could even begin add any features-- on a lens by lens basis.

There's nothing wrong with having dreams, but I think you'd have a better chance of success by sending a letter every day to Panasonic and Olympus asking them to add an option to disable this feature in their cameras.