Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Japan, land of mirrorless cameras and.. growing CDs sales.
  • In marked contrast to the West where virtual media in all forms are steadily supplanting physical sales, the Recording Industry of Japan (RIAJ) was recently reported saying that digital sales actually fell 20% by volume and a full 24% by value (to ¥32 billion) from Jan-Sept 2013. Physical sales were reportedly worth ¥197 billion in the same period.

According to the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI), Japan’s digital consumption represents just 13% of its total music sales, while for ‘the rest of the world’ digital downloads in all their guises are three times higher. Sales of physical media still account for nearly 60% of Japan’s total market.

Japan is manufacturing entire stables of ‘girl idol supergroups’, dominated by Yasushi Akimoto’s AKB48 franchise. This phenomenon is bolstering physical sales by packaging CDs with tickets to ‘handshake events’ with the girls at stores and theatres in major cities.

• 3 Replies sorted by
  • Overall U.S. digital track sales fell six percent, from 1,336 million downloads to 1,259 million.

Seems like not Japan only :-)

• But how much of (at least the US market) digital sales dropped due to streaming services? I know I haven't bought any music since I started using Spotify (well, except for a few collectable vinyls)

• @bmorgan83

Problem with streaming services is that it is one way road. This guys have region and time limited rights. And each day music you like can be no longer available.

Plus, if you look carefully you realize that streaming is capitalism at its worse - using energy and huge infrastructure each time you need to play fucking small track. It is just ridiculous.