Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH3 50 fps which shutter speed?
  • Which shutter speed are you shooting on when mode is 50p? Does mov or avchd make a difference?

Thanks

• 8 Replies sorted by
  • Always double your framerate.

• I shoot 1/25s - 1/250s depending on amount of light, type of scene or what is happening in scene.

Mov is better in quality but it has no meaning for shutter speed.

• to have no issues, 50fps -> 1/100sec as said. this is a Standart rule!

• Would you all recommend 1/100s in very dark conditions so that one must use iso12800. All of us doesnt have fancy f 0,95 lenses. I go to 1/25s when iso is going to be over 3200. GH3 automatically switches to 25P then.

I use higher shutter speed when shooting sports and I want sharp frames for slow motion or for photo use. I am against absolute rules for video or photos. It is good to know these rules but then one can brake them. I shoot the way my eyes want. That is personal of course and if I would make any pay job I would stay within rules.

Then there is problems in sunny day. When using 1/100s in very bright light at iso200, aperture goes to f16-22. This leads to heavy diffraction which reduces sharpness and contrast. Situation is even worse if there is snow in winter. Clip is going to overexposure badly. I think that not many casual shooters has ND filters. It is then better to choose 1/120 - 1/200s for better IQ. 50 FPS is not very sensitive for stuttering due to high ss.

There is also electrical light problem. If you go vacation to 60Hz land you must use shutter 1/60 or 1/120.

• What Mika23 said. To have the best chance of filmic motion blur, maintain the 180 degree shutter rule, therefore 1/100sec at 50fps. @Vesku - if it's a paying job, then the minimum I would expect a pro to have in their bag is a variable nd filter. Shoot 'the way your eyes want' for your personal stuff by all means, but your average client will not be happy paying for footage that has weird motion artifacts in it. Fact.

• @mrbill

Shoot 'the way your eyes want' for your personal stuff by all means, but your average client will not be happy paying for footage that has weird motion artifacts in it. Fact.

That was exactly what I was saying before. Is it necessary to repeat it? Besides I do not consider sharp looking motion as artefact.

I would like to also ask: Is this forum mainly for professionals because every time I say something from amateur perspective or something "rule-breaking" some professional goes mad.

• @vesku I think you shoot weddings right? What you are saying is absolutely fine for that. Most brides could not tell the difference if you use the 180 rule or not. This saves time that you are not having to deal with the hassle of nd filters and you are more concerned with getting the right shot. Weddings typically do not have a lot of motion in them.

And yes i believe that most of the members on this forum are 'professional' in the sense that they aspire to film like one. Whether they actually make money from this is another thing.

• @Sph1nxster

Thanks for reply. I hope that our chat will help original poster of this question.

I dont shoot weddings or any other pay jobs. I think that this @Alexauwa also is not a professional because he is asking questions like that. In fact that still is a very good question. Maybe we are next going to discuss of proper and illegal f-numbers. And more horror: autofocus and auto exposure.

By the way there are no degrees any more in these consumer cameras in shutter. Many will be confused when giving these degrees for answer with shutter questions.

And yes i believe that most of the members on this forum are 'professional' in the sense that they aspire to film like one. Whether they actually make money from this is another thing.

Is it so important to have "film like" video to get money from video work. What if you are a professional document or sport shooter. Is this forum wrong place for them? And is it something more "PRO" to film like old movie makers who had no other option due to limitations of 24P.

I think that some of the best directors are going to get rid off traditional film look with its limitations.