Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Greece: Bonds again

60% for one year bonds :-)
  • 9 Replies sorted by
  • could you clarify what do you make of that?
  • >could you clarify what do you make of that?

It's The End Of The World As We Know It (c) for Greece.

It'll default for certain 101%.
  • I fully agree, but I'd like to learn more about what the particular diagram means. Their borrowing costs are skyrocketing, and....?
  • @GOODEMPIRE

You can read something about famous GKO and 1998. Same shit.
  • yeah. this way it sounds more impressive to a Russian
  • Here is the risk. German bunds yield 2%. The germans have a budget surplus and a very reasonable debt load. So it may be assumed as a risk free return (relatively).

If greek bonds yield 62%, assume the chance of a default 100% tomorrow. So if the bonds were issued at a 6% rate, today they trade at slightly more than 10c. In reality, we need to calculate the average period of the bonds, which would be possibly 6 months. In which case, 20c is the average price.

After the default, assume a normal issued term yield of 6%. This chart states that in the case of a complete default today, the bondholders are looking at wiping out approx 80% of their value.
    If greek bonds are valued at 20c then the extra 1.2c equates to a more normal yield.

If the default is in a month, then add the interest paid to the post-default value. So if I hold the bonds, I get 5c for holding it for a month. Thus, a reduction to 20c leaves me a loss of 75c only.

In order for me to buy new bonds now at 6% and break even, then I need to recover 80c in terms of interest. Thats a holding period of 13 months.

This chart is telling us that the chance of a complete default within 13 months is 100%.

In practice, assume a 50% haircut. So in the case of a default, the greek govt will reduce the principal on bonds to half. In this case, I only need to recover 30c in case of new bonds. Thats a holding period of about 6 months.

If we assume a 75% haircut, thats an recovery of 5c in interest. Thats a 1 month holding period.

The markets are saying that there is a 100% possibility of a default (where 50-75% of the principal is wiped out) within a period of 1-6 months.

I need to go through this again to check the numbers - but its a simple model.
  • @zcream

You don't need all this numbers to understand that is going on.
  • So, small update

Yields >70%

All food is up 10% due to new taxes

Real freedom(tm) from money is not far.

Lets Live Not by Lies(c)
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev The numbers simply state the timeline of the default. It should have been obvious a couple of years ago that Greece would default. Breaking down the probability simply indicates the timeline.
    While its not interesting to apply the numbers to Greece - these can be applied to Portugal or Ireland, or even Italy to check what the indicated timeline of default is.