Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Good Deals: Nikkor ED AF 80-200mm f/2.8
  • 6 Replies sorted by
  • wish I knew how to clean the fungus..
  • Yes, without the fungus it'd be worth twice as much. I recently discovered a good alternative: Sigma's 70-200mm f2.8 HSM EX APO non-DG non-OS zoom:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190564924344?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Sigma made a number of different versions of this lens, and this non-DG (does have aperture ring), non-OS (no optical stabilization) was the first. Later versions are were higher priced and unusable on a GH2. In addition to its constant f2.8 aperture, the front lens barrel neither extends nor rotates as the lens is zoomed or focused. At narrower apertures, the lens is close to parfocal across its zoom range. The built-in tripod collar is also secure and elegant in its design.
  • @perder. I don't have any Nikon lenses for my GH2, but I do have many Canon FL lenses. As I buy them at very low cost on eBay, I take them to a local company that services them--takes them apart, cleans them, calibrates them, lubricates them, all for about $100. Surely there are firms that do the same for Nikon lenses.
  • Also the fungus can leave scratch marks on your lens, it is not a great idea to buy a lens where the fungus is obvious.
  • @sdbest: With fungus, it's different. Fungus actually etches the glass, it doesn't just grow on the surface. Once your lens gets fungus, it's basically toast. Fungi reproduce through spores, which get in everywhere inside the lens. You'd have to completely disassemble the lens and decontaminate each piece. If your lens has fungus in the very early stages, it's possible to clean the lens element, as long as the fungus hasn't started etching the glass with its acids; with an older lens that has been in storage for an indefinite period and has fungus, I wouldn't bother buying it. It's much easier just to find a lens without fungus. Sunlight and ultraviolet light will kill fungus, so regular lens use helps keep your lens fungus-free. In humid climates, a drying cabinet will work. I have heard of cases where people locked their lenses up in a safe, but forgot to add dessicant inside the safe; the resulting warm temperature, humid air, and dark environment resulted in fungus growth within days.

One of the funniest photo videos I saw was on "How to fix a lens that has fungus." The guy took the lens, put it on a rock and hit it with a sledgehammer. Doesn't seem to be on YouTube; I saw it on a regular website.
  • @MrAnthony Thanks for the insights. Very appreciated.