Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
looking for small stabilizer for GoPro and/or RX100
  • Has anybody some experience with a small and lightweight stabilizer for a small and light weight camera like GoPro or Sony RX100? Any experience is appreciated; recommendations as well as keep your fingers off. Thanks for your time guys!

• 8 Replies sorted by
  • We have quite a number of topics.

Bunch of stabs are available. The bigger the stab - the smoother the ride and the harder to hold it :-)

I suggest to check Laing P-03 ones.

• sorry I forgot to mention that it's for private/family purpose and a small light weight will hopefully keep complaints of my wife away that I would do business things in family time. I checked all topics but I hoped to find some experiance for a small stabilizer

• You should also mention: Do you want a steadycam-like stabilizer or a small shoulder unit (to minimize shaking)?

Because if you want to have a very cheap shoulder stabilizer (which is also usable a small stand btw.) - check out the Cullman Cruiser. That´s my "allways with me quick and dirty" shoulder supported stabilizer for my GH2. Maybe a little bit too big for a GoPro / RX100 - That´s true. But to find something smaller which is usable / stable - hmm ...

IF you want a steadycam-like stabilizer: I am afraid that there is nothing possible / on the market which is looking very "hobbyish" and which is usable THAT good. There are smaller units available. But by far not as stable as the bigger ones ...

• thanks for the hint! It's a steadycam-like stabilizer what I am looking for. I read a lot of reviews of things like Opteka SteadyVid EX, Manfrotto Modosteady 585-1, MMC - Hague Mini Motion-Cam Stabilizer, SevenOak SK-W02 etc.. but I don't know what could be the best (or less worst) So any experience is welcome.

• I've used an Opteka steadyvid pro with my GH2, but I needed to add a little extra weight to the top to get it reasonably stable. Extremely light stabilizers tend not to be the best for smoothness.

Otherwise, you could get and modify a steadycam smoothee.

• steadycam smoothee is a good idea - will ask the guys whether it will carry also 210gr of the Sony RX100

• Look at Rambo's posts on the Smoothee. He modded one for the GH2 I think. FWIW, I have a smoothee. It's in the "Why did I buy that" box.

• Thanks Peter for this hint! I found that I made a comment on Rambo's post too ;-) So my decision is clear and from my experience with Flycam Nano I won't spend time an money on cheap crap. Thanks everybody here!