Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Small high quality audio recorder
  • Hi - am looking for a smallish audio recorder to use as a bit bucket using line in from SD mix pre-d. I would also like to use it connected to my Rode lav mic, sometimes as a poor mans radio mic ( i know I wont be able to monitor sound this way but when I'm filming on my own this can be really handy) I've been using Zoom h1 for this - have been reasonably happy with the results connected to the mix pre-d using its version of 'line' in - but using the zoom and rode lav has given me quite noisey hissy audio.

Is there a decent recorder out there that can handle true line in from the mix pre and has a low enough noise floor to create hiss free recordings when tethered to the Rode lav and can easily fit into someones pocket?

The Sony PCM-M10 has fairly good reviews and is my top choice at the moment, just wondered if there was something same size or possibly slightly smaller that has similar audio quality ? it would need to be a decent step up in quality from the Zoom h1

Any help would be gratefully received.....

• 7 Replies sorted by
  • Check zaxcom maxx

• thanks for that but i already have the mix pre-d - am just looking for a little bit bucket recorder

• olympus DM-420

• @ade4all I use Roland R-05 and am happy with quality with my Audio Technica Lav mics. I don't know much technically about specific noise floor and "true line in", but there is a jack at the top that is labeled "line in". I know someone who's pretty serious with his audio from a technical as well as quality perspective, and he uses the identical product branded under the Edirol brand label. They're pretty inexpensive as well, and small and very lightweight.

• roland r09 is what i use..i love it. ..plugged into mixers via 3.5mm to xlr, audio technica shotgun mic, i even use it as an external mic for my r26 sometimes..

i think the r05 is the update and have heard nothing but greatness surrounding it, as it is with everything roland makes.

• I'm thinking of getting the Rode ixy mic for iPhone/itouch. The reviews I've seen so far seem its as good as much larger recorders like the zooms.

http://www.ixymic.com/

• Thanks everyone for all the suggestions - have a lot of recorders to check out it seems