Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
70-210mm f2.8-4.0 Vivitar
  • Anyone using Vivitar 70-210mm f2.8-4.0 lens on GH2?

I read only positive reviews by users all around the world, but still no any test or video sample with GH2.

• 11 Replies sorted by
  • I have the lens (Vivitar series 1 70-210mm F2.8-4.0) FD mount, give me two or three days for video samples.

• Ok, thank you in advance!

Some pictures are also welcome, incl. the lens + GH2.

• here is the lens+GH2 video for you, give me two more days for samples.

• Thank you very much, cjdincer!!!

As I see, this lens doesn't stress GH2'body too much with its almost 1kg weight :)

The pictures (video) tests are so expected.

• yes heavy lens so, one has to be careful while moving the cam or carrying it around with the lens on.

• Video Samples

• Thank you very much, cjdincer!!!

• @producer you're welcome. it is a fun lens to shoot with. sorry about the typo on the title.

• focus... all I'll said is very subjective, of course.
    this is a monster, it was spit out of a vagina who couldn't chew it. steel and glass. heavy, almost 1kg. fantastic feel. very fast when U get used and master the one-touch zoom ring weird wrist dance... BTW usable tecknik for kinki sex. HEAVY!!! most of my experience with it come from full frame. SHARP in holistic way :P

in a full frame machine

it vignettes and it has soft corners, which is one of the things make you love this stupid object. BOKEH IS JUST GORGEOUS, specially wide open. It gets CA, depending on angle... sometimes it's pronounced, flare is ok, not great. many times you can get very low constrat images which is probably something you'd like when shooting video. MACRO MACRO MACRO, this is a sin for macro photography, not only 'cause the 1:2 magnification ratio, but because of the beautiful bluring of backgroung soup.

When I sold all my FF gear, I kept this fucker.

in mFT

vignette's almost gone, though I haven't shoot photos and almost no video 'cause the diaphragm blades are stickingly lazy beyond my repair abilities and my own lazyness. need a good/solid adapter, I imagine a speedbooster to be ideal companion; but also would cost 4 times the lens. Video is sharp, NEED TRIPOD (420mm w/o IS), you also loose most of the corner blurriness. It is unbalanced on a GH2/GH3, because is HEAVY, has no tripod collar. I have some footage with hacked Gh2 but right now no time. As I need to shoot more I cannot tell colorcast and other stuff. pity is not parafocal. CHEAP, but variation from copy to copy. mine is a nikon mount, from third generation (if not mistaken) made by Komine, supposedly the sharper.

I made a gallery in flickr (just for your eyes, ja ja ja), with relative usefulnessas as was all shot in FF. As I was shooting UniWB for years, I had to process the photos BUT, I didn't correct: dcrop, istortion, vignette, or CA. Sharpness was all the same across pics and only NR the ones with Iso above 4000, there are a couple above 12800. all good
    PS - forgot to say these are not my favourite photos, I tried to grab some that would allow to grasp lens soul... ah, and in the end there are 5 Jpegs SOC, bees, guy taking picture and demonstration, then 2 smaller ones

case slideshow doesn't show

• There are several versions of this lens. Number three is the best (Komine version), as I've read in many reviews. When you buy one, be careful which one you get, as you can see cjdincer has one of the cosina versions which are much lighter (670gr) in comparison to the other ones. (concerning weight issues with gh2). However my vivitar (komine version) is on the way :). Bought it from ebay for $70. Here's a link to the comparison:

http://www.robertstech.com/vivitar.htm