Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Manfrotto MVH500A and MVH500AH Fluid Head
  • Last month Manfrotto introduced the new fluid head MVH500AH which may replace their previous 701HDV (http://www.manfrotto.com/News+%26+Events/News/Manfrotto+introduces+the+500+Fluid+Video+Head+/38393709). What do you think?

• 6 Replies sorted by
  • I was looking at data sheet yesterday and Manfrotto strategy makes no sense for me. They replaced their past line with the new Bridge line, cool, but:

701 - 4 kg max load, no counter balance spring, replaced with: 500 - 5 kg max load, 2.5kg counterbalance spring

this is a nice improvement, but I don't want the basic model, so let's go on with the next step:

501 - 6 kg max load, 0-2.5 counter balance spring replaced with: 502 - 4 kg max load, fixed 4kg counterbalance spring

What?!?

The 502 new model is a step backwards its previous brother, has a stupid fixed 4kg counterbalance (you can't disable it and it works correctly only if you put the maximum load!!) and can hold less kilograms than the basic model?

Can someone explain me it?

If I don't want the basic model 500 I have to skip to the 504, which costs three times it?

• Can someone explain me it?

I think that they just looked at sales. Most probably cheap chinese heads made quite a dent in them lately, so they moved to the cameras with bigger weights.

• yes, but the problem is between two products of the new line, not the old ones. Both 500 and 502 are part of the new Manfrotto line, with 500 being the cheaper basic model having a bigger max load then the more expensive advanced 502.

• I am searching for a new head to use with my manfrotto 560b monopod and my GH3. Maybe this one will suit nicely...not as huge as the 502

• Thanks for the mini review! Yes, please, post some pics!