Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Personal View Census Questions
  • We'll be making P-V census survey soon, to better understand thousands of our members.

And I'd like to hear questions that you want to see in such survey.

P.S. All data collected will remain private and will be used only for P-V development ideas.

• 22 Replies sorted by
  • Question: What is your primary production Camera?

Question: What is your area of work? (Like developer, cinematographer,...)

(Well, kinda obvious question.)

• What is the next big thing that is worth shelling out your hard earned money for? Why?

Where are the local interests & communities for cinematographers and hobbyists?

Are you an operator or a visionary or a shopaholic?

• We have thousand of members? Wow :-)

Q: do you need a "like" button for posts?

Q: on a scale from zero to ten, where zero is "couldn't care less" and ten is "more important than oxygen", how would you rate the need for a pink GH3?

• What is the final delivery resolution and format for most of your projects?

How large of a team do you usually work with? Individual? Small crew? Hundreds of people?

• I think last @stonebat question is the one I'd like the most, and it's also related to the "Introduce yourself" post. I'd like to know how many of us actually "work" (by work I mean earn money) with all the gear we buy and discuss here.

• Schooled or self taught?

• sex?
    age?
    studies?
    profession?
    your dream job?
    first thing you bought with earned money?
    in a relationship?
    children?
    married?
    greatest weakness?
    like to watch cartoons?
    do you have a tattoo?
    how many golf balls can fit in a bus?
    what do wood and alcohol have in common?
    your life is turned into a movie, who directs it?
    gear or equipment?
    want are you buying next?
    where do you buy your gear?
    how much a year you spend in gear?
    how much did you spend in your current gear?
    what piece of equipment would you like to have?
    how many hours a week you spend shooting (video, stills, sound)?
    how many hours a week you spend editing, processing, mixing?
    how much do you earn?
    how much do you earn from visual jobs?
    how many hours do you internet?
    do you access internet by mobile?
    how many films you see in a week?
    where do you see them: cinema, projected, computer, alone, etc?
    what is lacking in the forums you follow?
    do you normally ask for feedback online?
    what is you main interests/uses of this site?
    what makes you participate (what ticks you)?
    from 1 to 10, how much do other people opinions/reviews/comments influence your decisions?
    do you think vitally has a white horse named katrinka?
    gashô

• What is the average (or typical) budget of projects you work on? What is your day rate, if you offer one?

1. Social security number
    2. Mother's maiden name
    3. Name of your first pet
    4. Make of your first car
    5. Town you were born in
  • @Ssh, I was typing that out earlier, haha, but demurred. Also sexual orientation, and purchasing habits. Each member will then be issued PV identification code...

• 1 - If you are a indie filmmaker, how do you finance your films?

2 - In DSLR do you preffer to shoot flat and grade in post or get correct image straight from camera?

3 - Do you think raw cameras deserves the high amount of data storage and post production workflow?

4 - Do you think the difference between 720p and 1080p is a must or 720p would be good enough?

5 - The difference between Canon DSLR and Panasonic DSLR resolution is important for you? Why?

6 - If you need to choose, what is more important: dynamic range or resolution?

7 - Would be correct to say DSLRs are the Super8 cameras of our era?

8 - Put a number from 1 to 12 for what is more important: script, direction, photography, acting, resolution, dynamic range, sound quality, lighting, rhithm/timing, beautiful actor/actress, scenario/misanscene, costume/clothing,

1. what are your main interests in the PV forum? firmware hacks, industry news, political rants, cinema techniques etc.
    2. best advice for japanese managers and engineers? get a life, read this forum, use your own gear etc.
    3. genre preferences? (in order) feature fiction, shorts, documentary, music video, tv sitcom etc.
  • How many years experience do you have with photography?

How many years experience do you have with videography?

How many years experience do you have doing professional photography?

How many years experience do you have doing professional videography?

How many cameras do you have?

How many video cameras do you have?

How many lenses do you have?

• Guys, be serious. As otherwise all you do, except questionable fun is wasting my time.

• I think it depends on what you want to get out of it. If you want it to be easy to process data, you probably want questions with either yes/no/maybe, multiple choice, or percentage (0-100)- type answers.

If people have to type answers, processing all the answers from thousands of members would be quite difficult.

• @B3Guy

It'll be both.

As for processing, I'll write small program.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev sounds good. I think people here so far have hit on some good topics.

Types/categories of gear that people are using... Software people are using... Types of content people are making... Professional/amateur...

Perhaps it would also be helpful to know what topics/categories people find most useful.

"personal" info (age, sex, location, education, etc.)... how much you've donated to p-v... where else besides p-v do you get videography information (other websites/forums)...

what gear do you feel that you need (that you do not have)?

what are you looking for in your next camera?

what do you think p-v should focus on in order to stay useful and relevant?

• We have a very diverse crowd here, so, yeah, location - country/town.

Have any of your equipment purchases been inspired by the forum? What is it?

Would be nice to have some form of anonymity, this way people would be more willing to share the info. E.G. - don't have to login to partcipate but limit one entry per IP or something similar.

• Hi

Some questions that may be interesting and can be developed further.

Of course this only gives the ideas that need to be queried, but actual wording and the decision to keep the questionnaire open ended or closed end needs a lot of work. One also need to know what you are trying to find out. I used to do this kind of stuff and I can tell you a designing good questionnaire need careful planning. Choice of words are very important, so is the answers in the case of closed end questions. A good command of language and not to mention good understanding of human nature are very much needed as well. You also need to give exit routes for situations that cannot be categorized (answers like 'Not sure", "None of these" etc.). Analyzing and interpreting the questionnaire data is another ball game altogether :)

Commercial Aspirations

• Do PV influence your purchase decisions?
    • Do PV help you make better purchase decisions?
    • Do you like to see Dynamic price quotes for the gears being discussed?
    • Do you mind having purchase referral links to eCommerce sites?
    • How much amount do you spend a year on gears?
    • Where do you make your purchases? (Stores, Online, Ebay etc)
    • How much percentage of your annual gear spend is on used gear?
    • Would you prefer to keep PV ad free?

User profile

• Age group
    • Sex
    • How do you rate your photography skill level (Pro, Semi etc)
    • How do you rate your videography skill level (Pro, Semi etc)
    • How long you have been associated with photography?
    • How long you have been associated with videography?

User behaviors/preference

• How often do you visit PV?
    • How much time do you spend on an average at PV?
    • Do you bother to login always or do you login only when you need to post?
    • What ways do you feel PV differ from other web sites of similar interest?
    • If it was not for the hack, would you have visited PV for the first time?
    • If it is not for the hack, would you keep visiting PV?
    • Are you happy with the moderated nature of PV?
    • Your suggestions regarding the moderation?
    • How do you rate the knowledge levels of this community?

User Interface

• Are you happy with PV interface?
    • Do you feel the interface of PV has advantages over conventional forums?
    • What do you feel you miss or think in need of improvement about the PV user interface?
    • What are the elements of PV interface you feel happy about?
    • Are you aware of the formatting options while posting?
    • Are you happy with the formatting options?
    • Do you like the way quotes work in PV?
    • Do you feel the way quotes work, keep PV less clutter free?
    • Do you feel the quotes feature need improvement?

Site content

• What would you like to see added to site content?
    • What would you like to see removed or redesigned at PV?
    • Do you require more categories to be added to the forum?
    • Do you require more sub categories under any forum?
    • Do you suggest separating any category in its current form?
    • Do you like to see blogs added?
    • Do you like to see review section added?

etc. etc...

• Still not entirely sure about the aim of the survey, which really makes it difficult to design questions. Here are some based on what you might be after.

• 1) What are the primary ways in which you feel limited by your shooting equipment at present?

-- 1a) Give real world examples of times where the above limitation interfered with your project or caused you to not shoot something you intended to.

-- 1b) What budget do you currently have available to address the limitation if a solution presents itself?

• 2) What are the primary ways in which you feel limited by your editing equipment at present?

-- 2a) Give real world examples of times where the above limitation interfered with your project or caused you to not shoot something you intended to.

-- 2b) What budget do you currently have available to address the limitation if a solution presents itself?

• 3) How large is the average crew on the projects you work on?

• 4) Are you more concerned with equipment portability/stealth or build quality/presentability?

• 5) How much do you spend on electronic equipment (cameras, memory cards, etc.) for the purpose of shooting each year?

• 6) How much do you spend on camera movement/rigging equipment (tripods, rigs, stabilizers, sliders) each year?

• 7) Do you shoot more often with cameras you own or cameras you rent?

• 8) Are you a camera operator, owner/operator, rental house or director? (Multiple choice allowed)

• @thepalalias

I already said that it'll be census like questions.

To know better our members.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Fair enough - I was just hoping you could get slightly more specific. :)

Anyway, when you say "All data collected will remain private and will be used only for P-V development ideas" do you mean that the data will not be published in any form, or simply that no "individual" results will be posted?

By the way, I thought question #1 by @MirrorMan is a great one.