Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
R3D Workflow: FCP X, AE, and DaVinci
  • Just looking for a bit of insight from the community here, maybe @shian

Just wrapped a shoot of mixed RED One and GH2. I have a few shots that require some VFX in AE. Basically using a travel matte of high contrast ink in water to simulate a woman's dress changing dye color. Some of these shots are RED and some are GH2. What would be the best way to go about this while maintaining as much of the raw capabilities of the r3d format.

• 6 Replies sorted by
  • my advice is to do a test, using the updated FCP X cut a quick edit with R3D and GH2 prores, and see how well the xml imports into AE and DaVinci. If all goes well. When you have completed your edit. Export xml into AE, delete everything around your FX sequences but leave them in the timeline. Do your FX, export them as individual clips, and do a quick match up edit in Resolve with the rendered sequences.

• @shian - thanks for the advice per usual. Now that I've imported the XML from FCP X into Davinci I'm having major issues.

1. When ever I try to export out of DaVinci with the round trip preset and attempt to select the entire timeline, the program crashes. I think it's due to the mixed timecode styles from GH2 and Red One.

2. I bit the bullet and was able to export a single clip, figuring I would cut it back up in AE or FCPX to finish but that too is off a frame or 3.

It's looking like I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and add a first light look to all the red footage in FCP X, export it as a 4444 master and use scene cut detection in resolve to grade, rendering out as individual clips to bring into AE to finish.

Any solution would be wonderful. I want to kill davinci or FCP X.

FYI, there are speed changes in the timeline (RED one slowed from 120fps to 24)

• like with FX. retimed clips should be exported separately and brought together in DaVinci later. I'm really hoping Resolve 10 makes this A LOT EASIER. Cuz it's a giant pain right now. you really have to plan your whole workflow ahead. Which clips to render and re-import.

• Good to know. Does FCP X have any work around for this? Or would I move them all to Compressor separately? @shian

• Until I actually run into this i won't know exactly what's happening. But it could be that Resolve just isn't as ready as FCP-X for mixed formats. I think they're addressing this in 10, but that doesn't help now.

I think you may have to use scene detection. You don't have a lot of dissolves do you?

• Only one dissolve to black. Scene cut detection is the go to for now. First light with RED RAW in FCP X, push out 4444 master, scene cut detection, AE with XML from DaVinci after separate clip export, ????, PROFIT!