Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Focus tips shooting first short with gh2
  • having difficulty in focusing on gh2 with motion in video. i had it set on manual focusing but when subject is moving it goes all out of focus. what are the best settings? should i be using auto focus to keep moving subject in better focus? i am using canon fd 50mm and gh2 on initial test shots. thanks much for any tips in advance.

• 22 Replies sorted by
  • Manual focus, plan the scenes well beforehand, use high-resolution monitor with peaking, maybe even using follow focus to make focus pulls more smooth. Separate person for focus pulling makes it also easier because then shooter can concentrate on framing.

• thanks, ok, i have a panny auto lens maybe that would be better for certain shots?

• @kdurk I'm not sure I understood your problem correctly, what happens with the focus when you shoot with fd lens?

• Are you wondering why autofocus does not work with a Canon FD 50mm lens? :-\

• Are you wondering why autofocus does not work with a Canon FD 50mm lens? :-\

Why not? For me it works perfect. Camera follows every move if you hold it properly. Of course you need to check manual first on how to attach fishing line to your actor.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev I had to read that twice. Nice!

• thank vitaly, i will look for that in my manual right this second.

• thank vitaly, i will look for that in my manual right this second.

It is in the section about ropes, gaffers tape and proper usage of CH3CH2OH.

• Stop it! hahaha

• vitally, your response sounds like you have some latent s&m tendencies, can't you just answer my effin' camera questions

• @kdurk Manual focus is control by you, not by the lense. This subject would be closed but today is saturday. Never on Sunday. Have a beer then come back.

• vitally, your response sounds like you have some latent s&m tendencies

Really? :-) I think asking for proper autofocus settings for Canon FD lens can be indication of much less healthy tendencies.

• My autofocus works pretty well with all my Nikon mount lenses though. Must just be a Canon thing.

• Ok, that's the last one, I promise :)

• Must just be a Canon thing.

Canon always sucks, even here they managed to do all wrong.

• @kdurk Your best bet is going to be stick with manual focusing (in most situations) as opposed to AF. If you do that, then it really doesn't have much to do with the camera settings, just the lens ones.

Here's a handy link to help you get the hang of figuring out the depth of field you can expect to use without having to change focus (remember to change the camera model and other settings in the menus).

http://dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

The long of the short of it is that the shorter your lens is and the narrower your aperture (so the higher your f-stop) and the further away from your subject you are, the deeper your DOF is. With deep DOF, you won't have to change your focus as often.

If you need to use shallow DOF to maintain blurred backgrounds, etc., then you will simply have to get quicker at adjusting the manual focus on the lens (either through practice or by employing a follow-focus, etc.)

Once again, the problem really does not have anything to do with the camera settings if you are dealing with manual focus lenses without electronic communication. It's all about the lens, aperture and focusing distance.

• Thank you guys, the last 2 replies were extremely helpful! sorry that my question was so newbie. i am trying to teach myself.

• some sweet from vitaliy like always is welcome for newbies lol.

IF you want to set up your focus, PLEASE set the scene up before the actual shooting. Prepare well how the camera will move and practice how much you have to turn manualy the focus ring in the lens to properly focus on subject. i assume you dont have follow focus, so this methot is the only one.

I recomend using you EVF no the screen. It fits better for controling the camera, and feel more like your eye and hand are more conected.

never use autofocus on lenses from m4/3 in video, they are just not that good, they still search for proper focus, its not like a proper video camera. Want good autofocus, set your iso up more, put f.5.6 and that would focus all. Well maybe thats what you dont want.

• hi, thanks for all the tips. and thanks for reminding me to pick up an EVF. i don't have a follow focus but will employ these tips and practice. thanks will share final project.