Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Google Chromebook Pixel
    • 1.8GHz Core i5 from tablets options
    • 12.85" 2,560 x 1,700 shiny as hell screen
    • touch capability to bore your hands
    • 4GB of cheapest RAM
    • 32Gb or 64Gb of slow cheap SSD
    • $1,299 price so everyone can get two
    • or $1,449 with LTE

• 13 Replies sorted by
  • Wow. That sounds worse than Apple. "You can forget about hardware" and wallet.

• As far as I understand, before placing a product in the market, they must look for a target, and then that defines what the specs should be.

So WTF is this stupid thing for? Unseeable web browsing with scaled down vids on the net and bad HTML5 games? Seriously, I don't know how this piece of crap is going to sell even a single unit. Would really like to know what market research has Google made for it.

Other thing would be if Chrome OS is to be updated with more functionalities, but it'd make no sense to announce the hardware before that. It's a complete nonsense.

• Seriously, I don't know how this piece of crap is going to sell even a single unit

Yeah, iPad started off like that too.

• @inqb8tr WTF? Probably in your bubble. It was one of the most anticipated pieces of hardware EVER, which meant interest was sky high.

• In my bubble both are overpriced gimmicks, though my bubble is not that big.

• iPad is undoubtedly overpriced. But Apple did 2 things the right way (for global domination):

• They were first
    • They make best brainwashing advertisements, period.

That as well meant amazing selling numbers. Which has led to 3rd party developers designing proffessional apps almost exclusively for iPad.

And as a result of that, iPad can be a worthy piece of equipment for proffessional use.

I hate the iPad, but its also obvious it's got the best proffessional apps in the tablet market - and some of those are really good actually.

Chromebook Pixel has nothing to do with iPads strategy of global domination, and an iPad does much more things than this HTML5 thing for less than half the price. So iPad is amazing compared to this HTML5 stupid piece of hardware.

BTW about the screen, couldn't they just have used a mirror? And make it a 1.300 $ mirror with hardware inside? Not that much of a difference from the product announced if you ask me.

I really, really want to know what is this thing for and what made Google approve it for production. I hope someone at Google gives an interview soon. I guess anybody would ask them WTH were they thinking.

• @Raysito22

Engineers sometimes think is specs features. Add here "margin first" principle used lately in design of most stuff. And you'll get this thing.

• Wait, so no VGA or COM ports? No tray-loading CD-ROM drive to read oddly shaped “business card” CDs? Are you kidding me?

• @Raysito22 I agree with you about iPad, it can be very useful, my "comparison" was based on not knowing too much about chromebook concept.

So, what can this thing do? Can it cut video in chrome? :)

It's more like an overpriced cloud terminal for people that don't need laptops at all, something like that?

• @inqb8tr

May be will be useful for hippie startups ala Digital Bolex? No viruses, and all they need is write emails and browse :-)

• Hahahah. Still, they'd need something else to create that nice site, but entire process of manufacturing that camera could have been done on Chromebook, true.

• Vitaliy, be careful. You might be giving ideas to some people...and then people crowd this forum with pieces of hardware that will never really happen. You sure don't want that to happen...

I actually thought of what the target of this thing could be...do you know those women who travel with their Chihuahuas in their purse? Gold diggers...maybe those, for the design and because nobody else would buy it.

I remember the "I am Rich" app and people actually paid a thousand dollars for that...so this can sell a few units maybe. Probably, that app was the inspiration for Google.

• Another Chromebook review