Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Want to buy: Century Precision Optics 1.33x Anamorphic
  • I'm interested to buy:
    Century Precision Optics 1.33x Anamorphic Converter Lens for Video Lenses with a 58mm Filter Thread
    any tips, offers, welcome ...
    Want to use it with 20mm 1.7 pancake ...
  • 7 Replies sorted by
  • OK, i found some , but the price is too high :-(
    over 1200 EURO ...
    CENTURY OPTICS 1.33X ANAMORPHIC FOCUSABLE CONVERTER
  • A tip really - I have a Cambron anamorphic which is as far as I could see, optically identical to the Century (the non-focusable one) because I owned both at one stage and then sold the Century. The difference is that the Cambron is in a plastic body as opposed to metal and it doesn't have the locking screw. On the plus side it's VERY light at 120g, compared with the Century. Has exactly the same issues as the non-focusable Century - doesn't like fully zooming in and it can't focus that close - but it's a nice look.

If you like the sound of the Cambron anamorphic adaptor but can't find one, look for a Kenko Panoravision Lens as it's also basically the same lens. Another alternative to the Century is the Optex OTDV58ANA - I had one of these too! - again identical optically to the Century.

I had all these lenses (kept the one) because I did widescreen on the old 4:3 miniDV cameras including the Sony TRV900, which was a lovely 3CCD camcorder.

BTW there's a non-focusable Century on ebay UK at the moment.

• @Mark_the_Harp
    Thank you, i placed a bid :-)
    will this Century give aspect ratio of 2.35:1 if used on GH2 in 16:9 mode without NLE ?
  • I'm not sure of the maths. But the Century is 1.33:1, so with a 4:3 original aspect ratio camera (as that's what they were designed to do, before 16:9 chips were commonplace) you would get 1.33 x 4 / 3 = 1.77ish:1

On that basis if you use it on a 16:9 original aspect ratio camera, you'd get 1.33 x 16 / 9 = 2.364:1 which is probably close enough. Good luck with the bid.

Someone else might like to check my maths relating to the final output aspect ratio but I think that's right.
  • @EOSHD

Thank you, that's great :-)
  • Definitely if you win it, have a go at making / getting a lens hood. Or get some black Cinefoil, which is great stuff for flagging lights, making lens hoods and creating shaped Bokeh filters.