Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Ergonomic Keyboards for Video Work? Experiences?
  • In my reckless youth, I didn't care about proper typing, etc. But now I have to be more careful, as sustained periods of keyboard use from editing (and writing), cause problems.

There are some discussions online about ergonomic keyboards, but none of them is specific to the kind of work we do as videomakers. So I think it might be good to have a discussion / sharing of experience of different ergonomic keyboard options out there as it relates to video work.

I'll start: the only real "ergonomic" keyboard I've had experience with is the mass-produced Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard. Here are my thoughts about it:

• it takes up a lot of space
    • the keys are harder to press than, say, a standard apple keyboard,
    • is a little funky on Mac OS
    • I notice minor improvements how I feel when I'm typing
    • relatively cheap compared to other options (also feels a little cheap)

I'm interested in the "truly ergonomic keyboard" which is here: https://secure.trulyergonomic.com/ Does anyone have experience with it?

What do other people use / think about the products they have used?

• 6 Replies sorted by
  • Nobody? Maybe I'm an old fogey lol :-/

• It is very rare and quite costly thing :-)

You can try it. Personally, I recomment old IBM keyboard in good state or anything on blue Cherry MX.

• Unfortunately, there's not a lot of sound research behind the design of these keyboards. And any activity that involves repetitive motion, hour after hour, day after day, is going to be potentially dangerous. Also your posture, the desk, the chair, etc. This stuff is not well understood.

Issac Asimov used to claim that he pounded away on typewriters and eventually a computer -- a Radio Shack! -- for hours and hours and years and years and never had any bodily complaints, because he loved what he was doing. Sound highly dubious.

Like V.K, I much prefer the old IBM standard keyboard, and currently manufactured modern varieties of it, but whether that actually reduces risk, who knows.

• I would be more worried about the headache I would get trying to learn typing on these things :)

• @qwerty123

Check review of your keyboard (just use google translate)

http://habrahabr.ru/post/151302/

• i can type only with two fingers.
    No mather what kind of keyboard i use, the stand off my hands are always the same.
    Well thats a short coming that comes out good............